_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Italeri M4A1
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 08:20 PM UTC
Hey all just a quick query to those familiar with this kit... If I remove the track side skirts (as kinda expected) what to do about the rear guards? They are one complete piece comprising the guard over the rear and also the inside of the rear bogey. Any photo reference I have seen has been inconclusive to me, as it looks as though the rear section is removed, but some part of the interior still remains.... Puzzled... help.... Do I have to actually operate and remove only part of the rear guard, or is the whole lot removed leaving the upper hull one continuous level around sides and rear? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....Any helpage much appreciated
Venom
Visit this Community
Alessandria, Italy
KitMaker: 720 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 11:13 PM UTC
Italeri M4a1 was the my first kit...about 12 years ago...but I don't remember nothing about it, and I don't know now where is...sorry
regards
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 11:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Do I have to actually operate and remove only part of the rear guard, or is the whole lot removed leaving the upper hull one continuous level around sides and rear?

Yes, pretty much. There is a plate that remains when the sand shields are off, but it would be easier to make with sheet plastic than to try to use the kit part.

On the inside of the kit part, there is a portion that extends down between the idler/track and the aircleaner. It extends up under the rear end and sort of boxes off the rear sponsons from the open area where the aircleaners and exhaust pipes hang.

Here's a thread on Missing Links about the M4A1 rear end, The first photo shows the piece I am lalking about -- the vertical piece between the idler and air cleaner. http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/thread?forumid=47208&messageid=1061161898

I'd suggest making a template with paper or cardboard, trim it until it fits, then cut two pieces of sheet plastic to mount on the kit. Save the template and you can use it on future Sherman projects.

csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 01:21 AM UTC
I built the M4A1 without the side skirts and looks like this:

GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 03:11 AM UTC
Ooooh, nice Shermie! Getting me interested in Shermans again...

Dang it!

Gunnie
MadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 248 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 03:19 AM UTC
Yeah, nice sherman, how do u get all this dirt on it, i tried several times but it always looks like a car crash
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 05:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah, nice sherman, how do u get all this dirt on it, i tried several times but it always looks like a car crash

Simple. In the lower hull, glacis plate and backs, Tamiya Putty thinned with cetone then airbrushed with Mud (Vallejo) and drybrushed with different earth tones (oils). In the sides upper hull, airbrushed Mud (Vallejo)
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 05:43 AM UTC
If you're interested in three pics of an Italian Army's M4A1...

Ciao
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 07:47 PM UTC
What can I say, gentlemen... that has to be the finest collection of quality info I've received, but therein lies the problem... you have opened up a new can of worms with how many different options I have available at my disposal now! Thanks again to all who made the effort
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 12:49 AM UTC
Donīt get mad. Here you can find another pics that may help you:

http://www.jed.simonides.org/tanks/sierra/sherman_series/m4a1-76-vvss/m4a176vvss-archive.html

This was posted in Armorama some time ago:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/6853&page=1

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 06:13 PM UTC
I built the kit recently, and left the whole thing off. Seems to me that's the way a Sherman is suppossed to look.
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,255 posts
Armorama: 485 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 06:55 PM UTC
I have not built he Italeria Sherman... What is "the good, the bad and the ugly" on this model?

Thansk,

John
www.johnneill.com

Here are two of my Tamyia Shermans

Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 12:20 AM UTC
Neil --

The biggest "problem" with the Italeri kit is the gun barrel. The kit part has a "step" in it that doesn't belong there. You can either shave and sand the barrel, or replace it with an aftermarket barrel. Jordi Rubio makes a real nice one.

CSCH seems to have taken care of the barrel problem, but another problem with the kit is visible on his model. There should not be a square frame around the pistol port on the side of the turret. You need to carefully fit the part, then use some sort of filler to blend that frame into the side of the turret. I have also heard some complain about the overall shape of the turret, but it looks OK to me.
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 12:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Simple. In the lower hull, glacis plate and backs, Tamiya Putty thinned with cetone then airbrushed with Mud (Vallejo) and drybrushed with different earth tones (oils). In the sides upper hull, airbrushed Mud (Vallejo)

NICE WORK csch ! ........ REAL NICE !

- ralph
 _GOTOTOP