_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Egyptian YKW T-55/ tamiya 1-35th scale
frogman_13
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
Armorama: 81 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 03:24 PM UTC
Perhaps I am wrong. When I look at the photos of the T-55s I noticed that the rear fenders have the "L" shaped fuel can which I had only seen on T-54s. Educate me if I'm wrong. There are so many variants of T-54/55 that it's hard to identify sometimes. If I could clearly see the top of the turrets in those photos I might have seen that there was no ventilator dome. That's always a giveaway.

ED
TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 12:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When I look at the photos of the T-55s I noticed that the rear fenders have the "L" shaped fuel can which I had only seen on T-54s.

Those are not fuel containers, they are for water. It was an Egyptian feature on T54/55s. They were manufactured by Egypt and only used on Egyptain tanks. Here is a partial shot of the article by Vasco Barbic. It first appeared in English in Military Modelling, but this is the German version from Model Fan.

Egypt had many more T54s than T55s at this time. So it may seem like you only saw them on T54s.
frogman_13
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
Armorama: 81 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 03:39 AM UTC
Hi Tony,

Thanks very much for the info!!
Water cans......Amazing that I never heard that before. Ive seen those thing for years and thought that it was a common T-54 feature. Considering all the time I've been building Middle-east stuff that is a revelation.

Much appreciated !

Best Regards,
Ed Okun
 _GOTOTOP