_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Newbie help with indy-link tracks
armfeldt
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 02, 2010 - 06:42 AM UTC
Hi all!

I'm currently building a MiniArt T-70 which has individual link tracks. Only problem is that each link has two round pin marks (or whatever it's called), which looks rather unattractive when painted. I tried to use milliput to fill the holes but it is too hard to work with, is there any type of similar product that has the consistency of toothpaste or plaster that can be quickly and easily applied to fill the holes?
Oh, I also tried to sand down the links but was also exceedingly time consuming and boring so I would be most appreciative of advice

Cheers!

/J
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 02, 2010 - 07:06 AM UTC
Joel;

Hi! I am no expert on indy-links (nor any other modeling topic I know of, I'll wager! ).

But for what it's worth... A couple of things which have worked well for me in filling little "knock-out-pin" holes or divets - both in links and elsewhere:

I like to work with green putty (Squadron green stuff is what I have) thinned to a smooth soupy consistency in thin model cement. If you make it pretty thin, it will "self-level" smoothly and be easy to sand down and clean up afterwards. Dab this goo in with a toothpick or a small spatula so as to slightly over-fill the hole. Sand off the excess when dried.

I have also used that Mr. Surfacer 500 or 1000 grey stuff. Thin it a little for easier handling and do the same fill-dry-sand routine.

It's way tedious. But then... it WILL look nice!

You can save work by doing only enough links sufficient to make the bottom runs, where these knock-outs are visible. Of course, when you assemble your tracks, you will want to keep track of the "filled" and "holed" links so that they go to the right places!

Cheers, and Good Luck! Model On!

Bob
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 02, 2010 - 07:40 AM UTC
I would go with Bob's route, but what I would do is start with the green Squadron putty, sand it, then use the Mr. Surfacer 1000 over it. As Bob pointed out this will be tedious, but it should work well for you.
armfeldt
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 11:19 AM UTC
Hey, thanks for the tip. I tried it out and worked just fine. By just fine I mean that it was tedious and boring, but I did not feel like Sisyphus any more.
Bob, your advice continues to be a beacon of light in the dark jungel that is afv modelling.
Though I did find that a drop or two water together with the glue made the whole mixture a little bit easier to work with.

Now, back to my tracks...

Cheers

/J
 _GOTOTOP