_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Braille Nam Gun Truck
ChaosXVI
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 126 posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2010 - 09:54 PM UTC
I'd like to share these photos again. I should have posted them in this Discussion Group earlier.

This is ARMO of Poland's M35A1 Quad Gun Truck. I replaced all 0.50 with plastic M2's from Dragon and also added an M60 MG from Trumpeter. Finished using Olive Drab acrylic paint by Tamiya.

Thanks for looking
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 01:37 AM UTC
That is a beautiful job.
WarrenD
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 01:59 AM UTC
Nice job. Did you grab the Trumpter M60 from another kit or do they sell them seperately?
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 03:08 AM UTC
That looks really cool and the details on the model appear very crisp. Your painting looks very effective but are you going to apply any markings to the truck?

Regards,
AJ
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 03:39 AM UTC
Very cool and unique subject for Braille scale. The painting looks very good; especially the lights on the front. Many of the kit details look very good but my only complaint would be the thickness of the side panels.

Cheers,
Jan
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 06:56 AM UTC
Great job - she looks mighty nice!

Also - I love the photographs in the background!
m75
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 06:59 AM UTC
Yeah Jim, thought those would look familiar.

The wheels have openings in the rims that appear to be over-large for the intended use. I might recommend using the AFV rims/tire, or another AM resin source. Or, you could use a lot of mud!
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 07:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The wheels have openings in the rims that appear to be over-large for the intended use. I might recommend using the AFV rims/tire, or another AM resin source.

Unfortunately, this guntruck is in 1/72nd scale But I agree about the wheels. It deserves a set from Academy M35A2 kit...

Frenchy
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 08:08 AM UTC
I was also going to recommend the Academy 1/72 M35A2 wheels, but Frenchy beat me to it.

The Academy wheels look pretty nice.

Also, the hole on the right front fender where the A2 exhaust stack would pass should be filled in. On the M35A1 model, there was no hole there.

No offense, but I would have used the guntruck-specific parts from the resin set and added them to the Academy kit. It is much nicer molded and just looks better to me.

Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 08:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No offense, but I would have used the guntruck-specific parts from the resin set and added them to the Academy kit. It is much nicer molded and just looks better to me.

Ditto Gino. I think the same could be done with Armo M49A2C tanker truck :

Frenchy
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 09:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ditto Gino. I think the same could be done with Armo M49A2C tanker truck :

I fully agree.
ChaosXVI
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 04:13 PM UTC
Thank you all for your kind words and comments

with regards to some of your suggestions and observations, starting with the wheels: Academy's M35 became available at our LHS late 2008. I had almost finished assembling the kit by then. Also twas only until reading your posts did I realize the mistake on the rims

As to the side armor, I had no intention of replacing parts because I do not consider myself good in scratchbuilding new parts. Swaping parts from other kits, yes. But not making new ones from scratch. Sadly, the overall finish would have been better had I been more adventurous.

The M-60 MG came from a Trumpeter M113 ACAV. The Trump kit has 2 which I didn't need when I built it that same year. I am hoping to add decals within the next few months. I'm still learning how to make and print my own since i don't think there are any 1/72nd Guntruck decals available yet. As to the photos in the 1st image, I hope I didn't create any copyright issues
ChaosXVI
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 04:23 PM UTC
If I may add, had I known Academy was going to release a braille M35, I would have waited and as some suggested, use parts of it and combine with ARMO parts. The truck bed and chasis were warped and twisted. It had to torture the parts in very hot water and pressed under 4" chess books by Spasky to straighten them.

The ARMO M977 has a longer chasis and bed. I am blessed to have bought the Acedemy before attempting to build the ARMO kit. Sadly, because there are no differences in the Academy and ARMO kits, it looks like I won't need to build the ARMO kit nor use any parts for the Academy kit.
 _GOTOTOP