_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Black Hog Down
rogula
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 01:20 PM UTC
My latest project.

I have had the UH-1B for years, the first 1/35th Chopper I got. I started it about 5 or six years ago and then got side tracked on other projects.. Decided that a downed chopper in Vietnam would be my next project so it got a reprieve from my pile of shame.

These are just a few shots of my progress so far. You can see more at my blog RogsModels.

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 01:35 PM UTC
Looks promising, can't wait to see more.
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 02:24 PM UTC
Looks like it has a lot of potential. Don't forget to bust off large pieces of the rotor blades as that is what happens when a chopper crash lands. I saw one crash on the carrier deck that I was on and there were many pieces and many blades ricocheting off the deck and side of the ship. Happy modeling.....Al
rogula
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 05:32 PM UTC
Thanks Alfred!

I have done one blade so far and am going to do the other as well. Can't find good pictures online of broken blade so will wing it...
meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 786 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 05:47 PM UTC
cool looking scene even unpainted. the figures are very well posed and balance the other setpieces. impressive start and look forward to seeing this one come together. cheers, bd.
sfctur1
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 643 posts
Armorama: 497 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 07:52 PM UTC
Blake,
Looking good so far. Have you ever seen the book from Squadron Signal Publications called Bent & Battered Rotor Blades Vol. 3. I know it has some good pictures of the broken rotors. If you need some pictures send me your E-Mail to [email protected] and on monday I can scan them and send them to you. I'm going to be out of town untill then. My other hobby is NASCAR Racing. Going to Fontana this weekend. Let me know. I'm going to be following your post. I had the same idea for a diorama. Good luck.
Tom
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 08:31 PM UTC
Looks cool, Blake. A very nice layout and the figures looks good so far. One can also feel the tension and the desperate fight of the crew and passengers.

Looking forward to see more.
grunt26
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 04:00 AM UTC
Blake,
Looks like you've done some really nice work. However, a point of constructive criticism. The scene is confusing. The Hogs didn't carry grunts, due to weight. Are the grunts supposed to be recovering the downed crew? Otherwise, with a pilot, co-pilot, crew chief, maybe another door gunner, and 4 grunts, PLUS the weight of the weapon systems and ammo, a B model wasn't going to be flying.
That said, the posing of the figures, the layout, and the downed helo look fantastic so far!

Rod
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 04:41 AM UTC
Looks like it is off to a good start. I agree with Rod above though, no grunts were carried on Hog Gunships. Also, you actually have a UH-1C, not a B. The biggest give away is the rotor head. The B had prominent counterweights on the blade roots and narrower cord blades. It is a mix though. For a proper C model, there should not be the nose-mounted FM homing antenni on it and it should have a roof mounted pitot tube. There are a lot of smaller differences as well. For more info on the differences between a B and C, check out this thread.

Here are some pics to show it.

UH-1B, you can see the counterweights on the rotorhead below:

UH-1C.

Here are some crash pics to see how the blades splinter as well.

Good luck on it.
rogula
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 07:33 AM UTC
Thanks Gino and Rod!

I'm not an Huey expert and really appreciate the feedback. I had done a quick check on wiki for the max crew/passengers and came up with 9. I did not take into account the weight of the weapon systems. I guess they will have to go. I assume the B model was used as a transport?

Thanks as well for more pictures of crashed hueys, gives me an idea for the state of the other rotor blade that I'd not busted. A question on the counter weight. Are you referring to the cross bar above the blades or is there something else I should be looking for?

ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 07:54 AM UTC
I say keep the grunts. The gunship was providing air support for the grunts and went down and the grunts are pulling the creq out for a medevac.

Paul
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 08:01 AM UTC
Aloha Blake,

Nice scene. I look forward to following your build. I believe the counterweights Gino is refering to are the vertical studs close to the rotor hub, and not the "cross rotor". You can see them well is his first and third photos. I like the idea of the soldiers already on the ground rescuing the downed crew as suggested by Rod. Maybe add another figure offering aid.

Have a good one and thanks for sharing, -zon
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 08:01 AM UTC
The UH-1B was also used as a "Slick" or transport without the weapons mounts on the sides. Usually, there would be a gunner or two with an M60A in the back either handheld, or hung from the door frame with a bungee cord. This method was called a "Free-60". The B model was not used as a transport for long though. The UH-1D followed shortly after it in '64 and pretty much all B and C models were relegated to gunship roles until the AH-1G was fielded in '67.

Here is is a pic of a UH-1B slick in very early full color markings.

You can see the doorgun hung on a bungee cord on this UH-1C Hog as well.

The blade counterweights are next to the crossbar and mount on the blade roots. They are a post with a drum-shaped weight on top. I have circled them below.

You could also have the grunts as a rescue team, evacuating the crew to safety. As long as only the hleo crewmen are injured, it should be ok.

I did a similar dio with a US Navy SEAL HAL(3) Seawolves UH-1C. The crew is being rescued by a SEAL Team and LSSC boat.

Sorry for the crappy pics. I had a cheap digicam at the time.

Hope that helps.
grunt26
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 09:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Gino and Rod!

I'm not an Huey expert and really appreciate the feedback. I had done a quick check on wiki for the max crew/passengers and came up with 9. I did not take into account the weight of the weapon systems. I guess they will have to go. I assume the B model was used as a transport?

Thanks as well for more pictures of crashed hueys, gives me an idea for the state of the other rotor blade that I'd not busted. A question on the counter weight. Are you referring to the cross bar above the blades or is there something else I should be looking for?

Blake,
By all means, KEEP the grunts, just arrange them and the downed crew so that it looks a little bit MORE like the grunts are aiding the crewmen, as opposed to being crash survivors themselves. The work is truly top-notch, and when and if a helo went down, the grunts on the ground as well as other aircrew would aid the downed ones. It may have just been me nit-picking the work in progress, just thought I'd try to help.
Best of luck with it, since its off to such a great start!
Rod

rogula
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 12:17 PM UTC
Thanks everyone for the great feedback!

I am going to play around with two ideas now..

1) keep it a downed Gunship and have the grunts coming in to rescue

or

2) Modify it and make it a slick with the existing back story.

If I go with 1) then I have the freedom to expand the number of figures and location. I have wondered what to do with some of the dead space created by the length of the tail boom. I guess some of it depends on what I can cobble togeather from the rest of the figures I have...
bill1
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,938 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 - 05:31 AM UTC
Yo rogula,

Nice setting so far. Maybe some tree ?

Greetz Nico
rogula
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 - 11:59 AM UTC
Finally an update...

Again all, thanks for the feedback, its been helpful.

I have changed the premise slightly and instead of all the guys in the Dio being on the Hog only the 4 crewmen were on it. The others are Marines that have come to provide cover while a rescue is mounted.

I Modified the rotors to have the counter weights but... put them to far out... need to fix that....

Progress has been slow but I have
1) completed details on the interior frame on the tail
2) Started Painting
3) Started the fixups on the Figures

A couple pics below. More can be found at
Rogs Models

The base coat on the Hog... need to shade and detail paint.

The Figures
bill1
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,938 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 06:37 AM UTC
Yo Blake,

Nice to see this one is growing!

Greetz Nico
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 06:14 AM UTC
It looks like it is coming along well. I like the downed helo w/crew and grunts coming in to help in the rescue/recovery idea better.

Quoted Text

I Modified the rotors to have the counter weights but... put them to far out... need to fix that....

The addition of the blade weights is not all that would be needed to correctly portay a B model. The whole rotor head is different as well. Cobra Company makes a UH-1B backdate set for the Academy kit that has the correct rotor system. The Seminar kit is a little mixed up. It is a UH-1B with UH-1C rotor system, which was not done. It would be best to get the correct rotors from Cobra Company.
rogula
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 01:35 PM UTC
Thanks Gino... I'll take a look at that.

More Painting done, Base groundwork started.

The base, celuclay applied.

Tail boom with yellow stripe and red stabilizers.

Figures

You can see more at: ROGSMODELS
 _GOTOTOP