Hosted by Darren Baker
red shovel
TankSmith
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 87 posts
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2010 - 02:48 AM UTC
I've noticed on several builds that the handle of the on-vehicle shovel is red. Is there a reason for this? Is it simply to add variety and color or is there some cryptic military policy on this?
smydi01
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 219 posts
Armorama: 197 posts
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2010 - 03:23 AM UTC
Red means danger, like fire handles and extinguishers do not touch in most cases. Or only to be fixed or changed by somebody like the R.E.M.E. ie engineers.
TankSmith
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2010 - 03:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Red means danger, like fire handles and extinguishers do not touch in most cases. Or only to be fixed or changed by somebody like the R.E.M.E. ie engineers.

Thank you and I get that, but I still don't understand why the handle of a shovel would be red. It's not dangerous or usage restricted. I'm going to see if I can dig up some pictures to show what I mean. Thank you, though.
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2010 - 03:36 AM UTC
It might be for one of several reasons -- to denote that it belongs to a vehicle from "Red(1st) Platoon"; or that it is simply a shovel that has not been repainted from when it came through the supply system. In my platoon the vehicle I was on had a sledge with a yellow nylon handle. So to answer your question, it could be done to represent either of these reasons.
TankSmith
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2010 - 03:47 AM UTC
John,
Thanks very much, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks agin.
MartynSmith
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 73 posts
Armorama: 71 posts
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2010 - 04:19 AM UTC
Hi Anthony

You don't say if it the pictures were of British vehicles or some other country.

I can only comment on British ( and probably Commonwealth) but each Armoured Btn/Rifle Company was (is) identified by a colour...I think its;

Rifle Coys; A (red) B (yellow) and C (blue)...not sure about D and Support Coys but I can find out

Armd Btns were ID'd differantly; for example in the Guards Armoured Division WW2 red was Grenadier Guards, yellow Coldstream Guards and blue Irish Guards. Individual Squadrons were ID'd by triangles, squares or circles.

Any items of kit that were easily nickable (stolen...most soldiers are afflicted with 'shiny kit syndrome') were painted so that could be pioneer tools, water cans, fuel cans, food containers,tarpaulins etc. I think you get the idea?

If you check out pictures of modern British soldiers you'll often see coloured squares with numbers on the sights of SA80's...its a method of identifying who it belongs to.

Any kit stolen to replace your own losses was quickly repainted but it would chip off and you'd see blue overpainted by red overpainted by yellow etc ( obviously not rifles they're numbered too)

I suspect its something similar in other countries.

Martyn

TankSmith
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2010 - 07:50 AM UTC
Martyn,
I was thinking of american equipment, but your reply is very helpful and is in accord with the info from John above. Thanks
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2010 - 09:45 AM UTC
Actually, it is nothing scientific or due to unit markings... Most replacement equipmemt are purchased through commercial sources and don't get painted in military colors before issued out. Add to the mix, service members replacing equipment that they lost or broke from those same hardware stores that you get your tools...

John
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2010 - 09:56 AM UTC
Tools come in all colors, as long time Armorama members will attest...

sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2010 - 12:40 PM UTC
When the American military has a requirement for an item (shovel) they will develop specifications for the item to be manufactured or they will identify a suitable COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf) item that meets the requirement.

Once the specs/item is finalized, there is a National Stock Number(NSN) and/or Part Number assigned.

Typically the military tries to have multiple suppliers for an item. So, in the case of a shovel, the specification for the shovel may only have 1 NSN but may be contracted for purchase from 5 different manufacturers.

If the contract doesn't specifically state colors of the handle for example, you could end up with 5 shovels of the same size,type but with handles in 5 different colors.
So, it is common to see different colors/materials used on shovels, sledge hammers, etc. because they are provided by multiple manufacturers who have an existing product that meets the military requirement.

I hope this ramble made sense.
TankSmith
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 - 04:03 AM UTC
Thank you all so much for your replies. I never imagined that a silly question about the color of a tool would bring on such helpful info. Thanks again to all! And Robert, detail pictures are the best and what we all live for! Thanks!
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 - 07:19 AM UTC
I got out in 92 but I saw OVM with red handles, blue handles, blue wooden parts, yellow fiberglass parts etc. And I show this on my models.
 _GOTOTOP