_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
who makes the best flakvierling?
captnenglish
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,184 posts
Armorama: 770 posts
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 - 06:45 AM UTC
I hit the LHS the other day and was surprised (read shocked) to see that he had not one but three flakvierlings in stock; mind you I went there looking for a flak 30 or 38 (for my sdkfz 10/4 build). I left trying to decide which of the three to buy. My choices are the new Bronco kit, a Draqon offering (smart kit) or the Trumpeter offering. Now I come to you dear forum mates and ask which one should I get? Which one is the best value (ease of build, accuracy, etc.) for hard earned and ever decreasing $? Thank you in advance.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 - 07:38 AM UTC
Hi Capt, I had pretty much the same delemia not too long ago. You may find it useful to check out the Reviews Fourm here. There are 2 great reviews by Bill C. on the Dragon and Trumpreter SdKfz 7/1. They both seem to be very fine kits. The decieding factor for me was that I got a Great deal on the Dragon kit in the Buy/Sell/Trade Fourm . I have not started building it as yet but it looks to be a build well worth the effort. Hope this helps, milvehfan
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 - 07:48 AM UTC
Hi

Terry Ashley's done reviews on all the latest ones available ,but hasn't had time to do a comparison review.

See his site, check the right hand side bar.

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/

Alan
captnenglish
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 - 08:32 AM UTC
Thanks guys, it looks like the Bronco kit is the best value for my money.
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,794 posts
Armorama: 1,431 posts
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 - 08:45 AM UTC
Hi Matthew,

I assume you're referring to the individual flakvierling kits and not the ones that actual come with the various Sdkfz 7s? If so, yes, there are actually four of them out there and, if I recalled, they are by Trumpeter, Dragon (Late), AFV Club, and Bronco. I have both the Bronco and the AFV Club versions and of the two, I would lean toward the AFV Club one for the simple reason that it comes with 4 turned aluminum barrels included. The Bronco kit is also really nice and fairly accurate. Now, I've read a few reviews on the Dragon one and although the kit looks nice it has some inaccuracies. Don't remember the extend of the issues but I think there is a review in PMMS you can look at for this. There is also a review here in Armorama of the AFV Club version you can check out.

The only thing I don't really like about AFV's barrels is that the rendered the hand grip areas on each barrel raised (as supposed to recessed - which is accurate).

HTH,

Rob
captnenglish
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 - 09:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Matthew,

I assume you're referring to the individual flakvierling kits and not the ones that actual come with the various Sdkfz 7s? If so, yes, there are actually four of them out there and, if I recalled, they are by Trumpeter, Dragon (Late), AFV Club, and Bronco. I have both the Bronco and the AFV Club versions and of the two, I would lean toward the AFV Club one for the simple reason that it comes with 4 turned aluminum barrels included. The Bronco kit is also really nice and fairly accurate. Now, I've read a few reviews on the Dragon one and although the kit looks nice it has some inaccuracies. Don't remember the extend of the issues but I think there is a review in PMMS you can look at for this. There is also a review here in Armorama of the AFV Club version you can check out.

The only thing I don't really like about AFV's barrels is that the rendered the hand grip areas on each barrel raised (as supposed to recessed - which is accurate).

HTH,

Rob

Hi Rob,
Yes, I am talking about the guns themselves and not the vehicle mounted units (though the LHS did have a couple of those in stock too). I knew that there were more than the options I listed, I built the Tamiya version back in the day, but I was asking about the ones my LHS has in stock ATM. Thank you for your input on the AFV Club version.
captnenglish
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 - 09:47 AM UTC
Follow up question. It looks like the Dragon kit is the only one with decals, is that correct does anyone know? If that is the case, are there AM markings?
Stoottroeper
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,107 posts
Armorama: 95 posts
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 - 10:08 AM UTC
Hi Matthew,

I am sorry to disappoint you Matthew, but if you are building a Sd. Kfz. 10/4 or /5 then your question is purely academical.
The 10/4 uses the 2 cm Flak 30, the 10/5 the 2 cm Flak 38, both the single version as the chassis of the Sd. Kfz. 10 would not carry a flakvierling.

That would leave you with one of these: http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/flak38/flak38.htm

Sorry, but at least it's a good excuse to get to the LHS again.

Peter
captnenglish
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 - 10:32 AM UTC
Sorry if I confused things with my original post, but I am not intending to put the flakvierling on my 10/4, I am going to add it to my artillery collection. I only brought up the 10/4 because my original intent on going to the LHS was to order AM parts for the kit supplied flak 30 and or AM for converting it to a 10/5 (flak 38 PE etc.) and as I said was pleasantly surprised to find not one but three flakvierlings and wondered whch one to add to my collection.
 _GOTOTOP