_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-72 Live Target in Austria 1/35 W.I.P
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 08:52 AM UTC
Hi all,

After a long absence I wanted to show you one of my latest "on and off" projects. Once finished it will depict a "live target" in Austria, to be more specific, this tank is located in "Zwölfaxing", which also serves as a tank proving ground. I can´t remember exactly which projectiles were fired, but they came from a Leopard,a s far as I can remember. (6 hits on frontal armour and 3 on the turret, right side) The tank originally came from the former GDR (DDR).

I am using Tamiya´s T-72, Eduard PE, turret from AEF (reworked shape), CMK update set, heavilly modified Verlinden engine, Miniarm wheels, Barrel from RB and a lot off scratch. I repositioned the engine air intakes as my references show them off center to the left. (About 2millimeters in this scale, 7 centimeters on original vehicle)

Photos were taken by Attila Baranyai

Let me know your thoughts, all the best,

Andreas
MilSpec
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 09:47 AM UTC
Hi Andreas,
Interesting. Congrats on moving the radiator cover. Did you know that there are only 13 louvers in the radiator cover. The slats in the screen cover two of them leaving 11 visible. The screen is not symmetrical front to back, so the louvers visible are in a 4-4-3 configuration ( also occasionally seen 3-4-4 front to back on some tanks). I have seen this configuration in all photos where the louvers are visible. If anyone has other feedback on this, I would appreciate this.
Do you have any photos of the actual tank you might be willing to post?.
Good luck on your project.
James
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 10:16 AM UTC
Hi James,

no I didn´t know that, interesting find! Here are some photos of the real thing which I took in 2007. Thank you very much for your comment.

Best regards,

Andreas
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 10:16 AM UTC
This is looking really cool Andreas! I cant wait to see your project progress, it should make for a very interesting looking model. Now that I see your work on the engine deck, the issues with the Tamiya air intakes become very apparent to me. Whilst working on my T-72B i wondered why i was noticing minor discrepancies with the Tamiya engine deck, when looking at my reference pics, now its very obvious!

By the way-I have some close friends who live in Vienna (lovely city), I intend to visit them at some point, perhaps I will have to arrange an opportunity to say hello to you!
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 10:21 AM UTC
Hey Rob,

thank you very much for your comments! Glad I was helpfull clarifying that discrepancie. I will slowly progress with this model, as I have way too many models on the workbench

It would be really cool to meet you in person! Please don´t forget to let me know when you will be visiting Austria/Vienna!

All the best,

Andreas
zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 11:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Did you know that there are only 13 louvers in the radiator cover. The slats in the screen cover two of them leaving 11 visible. The screen is not symmetrical front to back, so the louvers visible are in a 4-4-3 configuration ( also occasionally seen 3-4-4 front to back on some tanks). I have seen this configuration in all photos where the louvers are visible. If anyone has other feedback on this, I would appreciate this.

Hi James,

Never counted the louvers before so I had to check my archive. The photos I have show 5-5-4. One of them are from Primeportal:
http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/marek_solar/t-72_int_walk_2.htm
Never noticed that the screens aren't symmetrical. Does any AM producer do non-symmetrical screens?

@Andreas:
Really nice work there!

Cheers,
/E
MilSpec
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 02:09 PM UTC
Thanks Eric for the correction, apologies to all.
They say that memory is the first thing to go (second??).
One should check sources before opening mouth. 16 louvers at 5-5-4 visible.
To my knowledge, I have never seen this modeled, no assymetrical screens.

Andreas, thanks for the photos.
It's in remarkably good condition for what it has gone through. No munitions on board during testing, I guess, makes a big difference. Watching your build.
James
scratchmod
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 04:51 PM UTC
I like where this is heading. Awesome building, especially in the motor area. I'll be following this closely.

Cheers
Rob

www,scratchmod.com
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 07:41 AM UTC
Erik and Rob,

Thank you both very much for your nice comments! Will keep you all updated when things are progressing,

Best regards,

Andreas
flugwuzzi
Visit this Community
Lower Austria, Austria
KitMaker: 633 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2010 - 04:29 AM UTC
Wow, an awesome project, thanks for sharing pics and build blog!

I´m always amazed at the work of others, very inspirational to see!

cheers
Walter
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2010 - 07:20 AM UTC
Looking really good so far, and I must say I'm impressed about the interesting subject.
zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 04:03 AM UTC
Guys,

While we're at it.
What are your feelings about Tamiya kit parts B12? From the few good engine deck pictures I have I really can't find anything that resembles them. I'd say leave them off. Opinions?

Cheers,
/E
MilSpec
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 10:04 AM UTC
Erik, good point. Apart from the raised lip around the openings for the fording covers, the screen frames are the highest point in any of the photos I have seen. They are held in place by small clips. I don't know if there were some variants using a bar of some sort to hold the screens, but IMHO, the B-12 parts should be lost in the carpet as soon as possible.
James

P.S. Andreas, sorry if we're hijacking your thread. Eagerly awaiting progress on your excellent build.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 10:35 AM UTC
Yes I have left parts B12 completely off, im not sure what their purpose is. Frankly the Tamiya etch screens arent ideal either because the frame should be raised above the woven mesh, but they are usable.
MIKE81
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 10:03 AM UTC
My favorite fighting vehicles, T-72! nice and promising start! Keep it up!
I look forward to the pictures!

MIKE
 _GOTOTOP