Hosted by Darren Baker
Can I use epoxy instead of super glue?
ron_harris
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 03:15 PM UTC
I am starting the Tamiya Firefly kit and was wondering if there is any reason why I can't use epoxy instead of super glue for fastening to the die cast hull? I always seem to have epoxy around due to the size of the containers and the fact that it doesn't dry up like some super glues have a habit of doing. If anyone has any experience one way or the other please let me know. thanx.

regards;

ron

NormSon
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 04:29 PM UTC
Epoxy will work fine, it will just take a little longer to set. In many instances, the epoxy may actually make a stronger bond.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 04:38 PM UTC
Because of the weight of the die-cast lower hull I would recommend using the epoxy. The CA glue is pretty brittle and the lower hull may end up falling out from under the Firefly if it's not handled properly if you use the superglue.
ron_harris
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 03:50 AM UTC
Thanks for your help.
I also have found that the super glue is only strong in one direction. For example, if you pull on a part straight out 90 deg from the joint it is very strong, but any side load will break the bond quickly. I wonder why is isn't mentioned that different glues can be used other than super glue?
Thanks again.

Regards;

ron
 _GOTOTOP