Hosted by Darren Baker
Mostly complete Scammel Tank Transporter
rbillard
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 41 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2010 - 05:12 AM UTC
Here is my mostly complete Scammel Tank Transporter and Churchill MK VII. First stab at 1/72 scale.

Want to do a Dio for this and am trying to work out the scene.

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2010 - 06:57 AM UTC
Welcome to the Braille Scale forum, Robert. It looks like you got this geriatric kit together quite well. From what I recall from when I built it eons ago was that it did have a few fit issues (getting all the wheels to sit equally on a flat surface). You might want to experiment a bit with your camera and see if you can find settings that might provide clearer pictures. Small scale has its own peculiarities when being photographed. You also might like to touch up the mud on the front cab tires as there appears to be an area on both under the front fender where the tread looks too bare.

It also appears that you added clear plastic for the windshield. I don't believe that it came with my kit but it's a very nice touch. Again, welcome to small scale and thanks for sharing your build.

Cheers,
tread_geek
rbillard
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 41 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2010 - 07:02 AM UTC
Thanks for the input. Yes I am still working on the mud on the tires as I see a bunch of bare spots that need dirtying up. Yes I put in plastic for the windshield as it just did not seem right to leave them open.

The wheels did not seem to be a problem but there were a number of pieces that were hard to fit such as axels and some of the small bits at the rear that were not explained well in the instructions. Took a bunch of photo research to figure out most of it.

Thanks again.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2010 - 09:10 AM UTC
Diorama idea: During the campaign in North Africa the British were moving tanks along very bad roads, the conditions were so ugly that the tanks had
to be unloaded every now and then to enable the transporters to get through
tough spots, sometimes the tanks even had to tow the transporters over the
worst sections. I don't remember what kind of tanks they were moving, not
Churchills at least, maybe Valentines or some other type of Cruiser-tank.
/ Robin
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2010 - 11:56 AM UTC
I love Scammels and this is a very cool little model, however I was wondering if the rake of the trailer is correct? It looks a tad high at the 5th wheel attachment point...
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 1,507 posts
Armorama: 1,304 posts
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2010 - 12:43 PM UTC
hey robert, quite a nice model you have there, and in 1:72 which is sometimes harder to accomplish than other bigger scales.
few words of advice to help you bump your models:
use washes (search the term, or look it in the painting forum). this will help you bump out details like bolts, and enhance outlines, crevices and such.
plus, if you're going for the muddy look, do another coat and cover bare spots. in addition, try to make the mud effect with a sort of "pull" or "stroke" towards the back (think of a car going throw a puddle). add some random splashes at the rear.

keep us updated!
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 03:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

..., however I was wondering if the rake of the trailer is correct? It looks a tad high at the 5th wheel attachment point...

Surprisingly Jeremy, while it does look extreme it appears that the real thing was pretty close to the old Airfix offering.

If you do a Google image search you'll find that on this particular trailer the rake was quite extreme. There are also images of the tractor hauling at least two other variations of trailer that were much more conventional. From what I read, this particular trailer was meant primarily for "Cruiser" type tanks.

Cheers,
Jan
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 02:12 PM UTC
Robert,

WELCOME!

I was never able to aquire this kit when I was young and first started modeling. But I did model that Churchill MK VII. As a matter of fact I still have that model! I'll have to dig it out of storage and post it here (that may take some time). Mine is unpainted. It is really good to see it again after so many years. Yours is really looking good.

I remember looking at the side of the kit box and seeing the Scammel Tank Transporter and wanting to get it to place my Churchill on it.

Thanks for sharing your stuff here, hoping to see more.

-Eddy:-[ ]
naimbrain
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 01:13 AM UTC
Hi Robert,

Nice build, it looks great. I built one of these a few years back before I got in the habit of adding glazing, and I can confirm your guess that un-glazed really does detract from the finished effect.

A word of warning when handling this kit, the design of the cab rear wheels isn't very strong (from memory I think each side is a bogey mounted on a central pin, with the two sets of double wheels attached using some kind of pin and glued on cap arrangment?)*. Mine broke pretty quickly even after only fairly gentle handling, I re-glued them, they broke again, I re-glued them... I've also seen photos on the net of other people's kits that have suffered the same problem.

Firmly glued to a diorama base is probably the best long-term solution, just take care that they don't break before they get there.

Cheers
John

*I might be wrong about the glued cap - that may just be an alternative repair that I tried
naimbrain
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 - 05:17 AM UTC
Here's a photo of my old build minus all those wheels that fell off. I'm still thinking of repairing/finishing it in the future, but as previously mentioned, the lack of glazing really screams:
IMG_0413.JPG
erhntly
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2011 - 05:36 AM UTC
Welcome Robert,

we are enjoy this forum

_GOTOTOP