_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Removing photo etch from the fret
robmar
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 03:18 AM UTC
I was wondering how people cut photo etch parts from the fret.
I've tried a curved scalpel blade on a ceramic tile but it ruins it, I tried side cutters but there's often not enough room to fit them in the gap between small parts, I tried the tip of a new blade on a cutting mat but it bends the parts near the attachment points out of shape. I even bought some purpose made scissors which cut well but are impossible to get near the edge of the part.
There must be a reliable way!
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,406 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 03:33 AM UTC
blade n°11 and a hard base (glass or aluminium plate).

hope it helps

spit

HK_AFV
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 431 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 03:42 AM UTC
Hi Robin,

Take a look here, this PE Cut Off Set from The Small Shop may help. It is very cheap too.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/3153

Paul
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 03:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

blade n°11 and a hard base (glass or aluminium plate).

^^DITTO^^
BoogalooJ
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 230 posts
Armorama: 105 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 03:53 AM UTC
I use the cut off set from the Small Shop as well. Got a great deal on it at the time. I've tried several different methods, but like this one the best so far. The plexiglass base is firm, but will give enough for you to cut into without distorting the piece. The clear holding arms are actually quite handy. I split my plexiglass sheets in two to give me 4 sheets instead of the two included, and am still on my first one.

Jamie
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 04:22 AM UTC
One of the best ideas I've heard is putting the brass fret inside a plastic baggie before trying to cut it loose. You only make a small slit in the baggie and the part is kept away from the nearby floor monsters........
Ranchhand
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 257 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 05:29 AM UTC
you can also use a post-it note, stick the PE on it and cut.. the tac will keep the part form going air-born
Rouse713
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 367 posts
Armorama: 326 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 06:18 AM UTC
Use the no11 blade. Angle to blade inward towards the part and push at a 45 degree angle. This will ensure the blade will always try to make its way to the edge of the part.

If the fret bends, change the blade. Buy a few packs of no11's, they aren't that expensive, but photoetch is!!
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,794 posts
Armorama: 1,431 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 06:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Take a look here, this PE Cut Off Set from The Small Shop may help. It is very cheap too.

This is exactly what I use! The acrylic sheet is great for digging in a bit without going too deep and bending the part. I do use the regular curved blade (#12 or 13, I think) to cut the items from from the fret. I usually cut a bit away from the part just so I don't damage it and simply go over with a sanding twig/stick (or file) just like you would on a regular plastic part. It works very well to smooth the contact area between the item and fret.

I try to stay away from PE scissors/shears, etc., as it's very hard to get in between other bits if you need to cut a part that may be in the middle of the fret. It may work great for those parts that are on the edges but not so for those located elsewhere.

Rob
ChrisDM
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 07:07 AM UTC
I usually use a pair of sharp curved scissors for cutting nails bought from Boots the Chemist

The are sharp but taper to a very sharp point so usually they manage with even the smallest gap to cut in

I like that plastic bag idea though...
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 07:28 AM UTC
As it's hard plastic, a formica countertop is a little easier on a #10 blade. But an aluminium surface also works.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 08:14 AM UTC
I am in the other camp, Xuron PE scissors and the Tamiya Diamond dust coated file to clean the part up.

If there is not enough room to cut the part neatly with the clippers, I just snip through the connectors and trim the part with the clippers once it is removed from the fret.

This lets me get very neat cuts on almost all parts, but the Tamiya diamond coated file is the absolutely best thing for cleaning up anything left from that fret connector.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 10:50 AM UTC
I sandwich my PE between 2 pieces of "less-tacky" clear tape to keep them from that carpet-guy. I cut my PE with a newer Nr.11 blade on a piece of dark hardwood as a "table". Generally, I cut thru tabs at about a 45-degree angle and keep a little off the part. (Unless the part is very tiny, in which case I try to keep pretty close to it so as to minimize the fuss of clean-up).

No brag here, but I have NEVER lost even a tiny PE part when doing the tape route. The baggie works well, too, but I find it easier to see thru the clear tape.

I clean up cut-off tabs with a fine-tooth file run along the edge (NOT across it). Hold the part in a flat-jaw or smooth-jaw plier with the tab barely exposed to sand, file or shave it off.

When ready to bend and glue it, peel off the tape. IF the part bends while being cut off or when being peeled, it can easily be flattened again by rolling with the knife handle.

robmar
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 - 01:15 AM UTC
Thanks everyone

Some great ideas, it seems I should try a sharp blade on a surface harder than a cutting mat, but not as hard as glass. I do have some perspex (plexi glass). And I'll try cutting at more of an angle (carefully!).
I also use small metal files to smooth the parts.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 - 06:06 AM UTC
Hi Robin

I stick the PE freat on a hard base (Iron or glass... I usually prefere the first one) whit a double sides tape

To cut the PE I usually dont' use the x acto blade N11; I prefere the n 16 :

It allows me a better angle cut.

Cheers

Iraqiwildman
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 81 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 - 10:03 AM UTC
I use a #12 curved blade, holding the PE with a flat razor blade and then roll the #12 across the PE a couple times to cut it. I do this on glass. I have a very small nub to clean up, if at all.
 _GOTOTOP