_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
I've been thinking
captnenglish
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,184 posts
Armorama: 770 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 08:08 AM UTC
I have been going through my stash lately, and I have found that have several old Tamiya artillery kits (not surprising for an artillery enthusiast), which I either purchased before Dragon, etc., came out with their version (i.e the recently announced 25pdr), or because they were dirt cheap. So now the question I am struggling with is should I; A) build them to practice on before buying the more expensive newer kits, B) get the AM (PE etc) stuff to update the older kits, or C) save my money walk the Tamiya kits to the dumpster and and start dropping hints about the newer kits to Santa? The older kits get me all nostalgic, but are they worth the effort?
shneezbert
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 99 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 08:30 AM UTC
Practice or donate them to the support the troops program, thats what I would do. If not then give'm to a starting model builder.
captnenglish
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 08:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Practice or donate them to the support the troops program, thats what I would do. If not then give'm to a starting model builder.

I forgot about donating to the troops, my bad I will check them out to see if they are worthy (intact), then I might just do that, if I don't use them as practive pieces.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 - 01:37 AM UTC
As newer and better versions are available, the last thing you should consider is buying aftermarket for them IMO. You might as well invest in the newer kit.
Personally, these kits can still be made nice with some nice painting effects or some original idea for them. They are perfect practise kits ... and we all need pratcise ... should it be new paint/weathering effects, ground work, stowage, etc.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 - 03:23 AM UTC
In the case of the 25 Pounder, the old adage 'One swallow doesn't make a summer' could be changed to 'One box-art and a CAD drawing doesn't make a release'.... I'd hang onto it for the moment...
nolifoto
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 136 posts
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 - 03:36 AM UTC
I read a piece regarding US troops in Afghanistan wanting to have some kits to work on. Maybe they could use your kits to start them modelling.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 - 04:16 AM UTC
Someone have an address to donate/send these to? I myself have been looking at my mountain of kits and now realize I will never build them all.

- Jeff
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 - 05:26 AM UTC
IPMS USA has a program to send kits to the troops. Just click on the "Supporting The Troops" button on the left.
cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 469 posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2010 - 02:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Someone have an address to donate/send these to? I myself have been looking at my mountain of kits and now realize I will never build them all.
- Jeff

Or maybe you could PM Gino Q. aka HeavyArty.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2010 - 04:33 PM UTC
Sorry, but I don't have any model contacts in Iraq or A'stan right now. I have been back a while now and lost track of who is doing the model clubs there. Best bet is to go with the IPMS link above to get them to Soldiers. A great idea though.
captnenglish
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2010 - 05:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In the case of the 25 Pounder, the old adage 'One swallow doesn't make a summer' could be changed to 'One box-art and a CAD drawing doesn't make a release'.... I'd hang onto it for the moment...

I just saw this for some reason, sorry. I came to that same conclusion. FWIW, I inspected all of the kits in question and they are complete.
Tailor
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2010 - 12:47 AM UTC
Matthew-
donating them fo your local IPMS show raffle might be choice, too.
Personally, I have a hard time letting these old kits go. I always think that they are still good kits; they just a need some love and real modelling skill (as opposed to shake'n'bake of today).
It's a tough choice.
Cheers,
Guido
 _GOTOTOP