_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
t-64b m1981 questions
Wakemeup
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 880 posts
Armorama: 874 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 04:57 AM UTC
I've a miniarm t-64b turret m1981(b35008)
I assume it's the version with non-applique armor turret.Is it right?!

Following this question:

Which type of Sp design conversions I need to buy to get the correct version for this turret!?to be more specific,if the turret report a year(1981)I assume this is the timeframe of use/production of the turret so I need to get an appropriate conversion for the timeframe.

There are two T-64b upper hull that Sp design sells:

228 "Conversion for Skif T-64 kits to accurately depict the T-64B tank after rebuild with the 16mm additional glacis plate meant to increase armor protection.It is intended to be used with the Miniarm T-64B non-applique turret."

226 "T-64B one piece upper hull. This conversion will give you an accurate upper hull for the SKIF T-64B kit. It is intended to be used with the Miniarm T-64B non-applique turret."

Cause I'm not a so expert about t-64 can you help me to get the right way?!In the meanwhile I start some research

Eduard.
Do the eduard sets for T-64 skif kits fit over the sp-design conversion!?I'm referring to the grilles and other little details.

TIA
best regards
Ciro Riccio
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 06:22 AM UTC
Hiya Ciro...the reason for the distinction between the Miniarm applique and non-applique turrets is simply that there are two T-64B turrets from them...one with and one without. With Russian tanks, SFAIK, you would not see a turret with the applique anti-rad lining and the upper hull without...they went hand in hand.

So if you have Miniarm kit 35012 T-64B turret with roof applique, then you should only use it with SP Designs kit 227. SP Designs kits 226 and 228 would be for Miniarm turret 35008 T-64B turret m81. The difference with the 2 SP Designs hulls is that after the Russians got ahold of some 105mm ammo and tested it against the frontal armor of the T-64 series, T-72 series, and T-80 series, they had penetration issues, so they welded 16mm thick plates over some hulls until they put the thicker hull armor into production (you cannot notice the newer/thicker hulls from older hulls as the armor addition is internal...only the "rebuild" hulls show the difference).

So I hope that helps.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 06:23 AM UTC
Oh yeah, the Eduard PE sets for the SKIF T-64 kits should work without problem with the SP Designs conversions.
Wakemeup
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 880 posts
Armorama: 874 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 06:33 AM UTC
Jacques......thanks for clarification.....did you receive my mail?!now I'm going to send you another with the order :-)

Kindly regards
Ciro
 _GOTOTOP