T-34/85 with empty engine bay WIP
drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 04:16 PM UTC
Yet another project utilizing Dragon's excellent T-34/85 kit
This time i was inspired by the two very well done Osprey Modeling manuals on the T-34/76 and the combi of T/34/76s and 85s.
These two books are a must for any fan of these great machines. The details and info on costruction are excellent. Here's the T34/85 lower hull waiting for it. empty! This was the first detail i dealt with was the firewall that sits mid ship between the engine and crew. Its a mixture of Evergreen plastic and various guages of brass and speaker wire...

this was done over two evenings, and then the first round of details were placed in the pan include=ing the suspension towers, engine moumt, transmission mount, brackets for fuel packs, etc..

more details including some of the control linkage, clutch control tower mounts

The kit comes with a great sheet of photo etch and was used to detail the engine deck. The turret interior is scratch built and from an older project that is also getting an overhaul to be posted soon,

That's where I am at with this one as there are others currently on the NOW bench. more details and photos to come soon!
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 12:45 AM UTC
Hi Drew

Very impressive work. The detail is awesome, looking forward to seeing your updates

cheers
Neil
SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 01:10 AM UTC
Very impressive work, your attention to detail is astonishing
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 642 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2010 - 11:57 AM UTC
Hi Andrew,

Superb modelling, I look forward to following the build. I have considered getting the Osprey guides for the larger scales, as you can just adapt the build to our scale, and seeing how it has helped you I definately will now.

Keep up the good work, all the best,

Paul
drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2010 - 06:00 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments, guys! I will be working on more of this project soon in conjunction with finishing the VT-34! I am trying to stop and take more in-progress shots...but once i get on a roll......
(and.... I got a fourth braille T-34 project that I started 4 yrs ago with a full interior which I am also going to modernize the scratch building with better skills(..needs work, also to be posted soon)

Quoted Text

Superb modelling, I look forward to following the build. I have considered getting the Osprey guides for the larger scales, as you can just adapt the build to our scale, and seeing how it has helped you I definately will now.

Keep up the good work, all the best,

Paul

Hey Paul,They actually have two braille scale manuals, one for the Panzer IV and one for the Tiger!!!! Ya they are a great resource for getting the details right and/or for pushing you to a new level of modeling!

Here's the link to show where that turret came from, its my very first 1/72 Dragon kit of the T-34/85 early model....https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/75790#1398028
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 642 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2010 - 02:33 AM UTC
Hi Andrew,

I've got both of those manuals and the one for modelling AFVs in general. I was considering getting the ones for the SdKfz 251, Tiger and large scale PzKpfw IV, they are on my 'to get list' now.

All the best,

Paul
drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2010 - 05:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Andrew check your private mail.
A greeting.

JC.

very cool thanks, JC!
drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2010 - 07:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you Andrew.
You've already copied, I can delete?
A greeting.

JC.

Ya JC and thanks again for those great ref. shots! they will help out a lot in all my builds i got going on now!
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2010 - 08:29 AM UTC
Drew,

I remember seeing your build about a year before I joined in on the fun here at Armorama. Always wondered what happen to you as I did not see any further postings to update this build? Happy to see you are at it again. Great build! Keep it coming this time, OK!

In case you didn't know here's a link to Squadron.com were you will find both a 72nd scale T-34/85 ZiS S-53 85mm turned aluminum gun barrel - Stock No: CZB72046. And a 5 piece T-34/85 85mm turned brass ammunition rounds set - Stock No: CZB72047. Both items are Czech Master's Kits products. Both items are currently on sale!

I don't know if this aftermarket manufacture still produces Stock No: BE72003 T-34/85 model 1945 85mm Zis S-53 turned aluminum gun barrel, cast resin mantlet and brass ammunition round & cartridge?

Hope this is of some help to you?
-Eddy

PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 12:16 AM UTC
It's needless to say that it's a remarkable build. Good job m8.

P.A.
drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 06:06 PM UTC
Thanks P.A. and thanks Eddy for the info, I actually got those watched on eBay but it's good to know squadron has the cool stuff! I am hoping to grab those as well as a few really cool PE sets... If not for this vehicle, it will definitely be clutter for the eventual diorama!

Thanks for pointing them out!!!

dR3W

Quoted Text

Drew,

I remember seeing your build about a year before I joined in on the fun here at Armorama. Always wondered what happen to you as I did not see any further postings to update this build? Happy to see you are at it again. Great build! Keep it coming this time, OK!

In case you didn't know here's a link to Squadron.com were you will find both a 72nd scale T-34/85 ZiS S-53 85mm turned aluminum gun barrel - Stock No: CZB72046. And a 5 piece T-34/85 85mm turned brass ammunition rounds set - Stock No: CZB72047. Both items are Czech Master's Kits products. Both items are currently on sale!

I don't know if this aftermarket manufacture still produces Stock No: BE72003 T-34/85 model 1945 85mm Zis S-53 turned aluminum gun barrel, cast resin mantlet and brass ammunition round & cartridge?

Hope this is of some help to you?
-Eddy

drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2010 - 12:44 PM UTC
Just picked up these to kits for this project... thanks for the suggestions!
These will be great additions!
drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 - 04:23 PM UTC
I got back to work on this too by starting on the driver's compartment first with the seats made out of Evergreen plastic. I had to deal with the ejector spots now that i was doing the front end too! At first i was going to chisel it out but decided to go with a false floor!

Here the floor is installed and the tanks are in place!
more to come soon!

I added some CMK brass 85mm ammo and the commander's folding seat into the turret!

Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 - 06:46 PM UTC
That's really outstanding!
Although i'm not a braille scale fan, your build seems to me incredible good.

Eventually are you going to glue the hupper hull of the tank?
(if perhaps you've already wrote about, I'm sorry in advance, i didn't read it...)
Hiding that interior work is quite a pity in my opinion though I know that is probably the best solution to complete the model.

Anyway, congrats indeed.

Now I'm waiting for your next step.

Cheers
drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 - 03:50 PM UTC
Thanks Mauro! I have really been enjoying making a FULL project of this!
Here are some small additions to the driver's compartment and fabbing some the internal side to the engine deck which will be seen from the open rear as well as from the engine access on top of the hull!

Adding the DT-28 hull gun, as well as the driver's gages, and hydraulic(?) mechanism for driver's hatch was pretty quick. I also did a magazin rack for the DT that sits on the floor between the driver and co driver!

That's it for now. More to come soon!
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 - 08:26 PM UTC
Is really a gem Andrew!

As I said I'm not mad for braille scale, but seeing your work I could change my mind

Thanks alot for sharing
PedroA
Visit this Community
Valencia, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 324 posts
Armorama: 322 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 09:54 AM UTC
Excellent model Andrew. Although the detailling of this model is superb, principally, I like the VT-34 ARV. I like this rare subject.

Regards. Pedro.
drumthumper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 227 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 11:34 PM UTC
Andrew,
Very nice job on the T34/85! I cannot imagine the challenges one faces when trying to encapsulate so much detail into such a confined area. The model should be a lot of fun to paint and weather. I'll be looking forward to seeing the completed project!

Kirchoff
Braille
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 10:35 AM UTC
Andrew,

Keep it coming! So much detail crammed into such a tiny area , looks awesome.

-Eddy
hedorah59
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 - 05:08 AM UTC
AMAZING work Andrew !
drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 12:04 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys. I been getting all these projects done for show in March 13... slowly chippin away and or fine tuning so i can paint, weather, and be finished! Here are some more progress shots including full driver station.

As well as the driver's hatch handle and upper engine hatch open with locking mech. detail!

Next up I am going to attempt all the internal fuel cells with Evergreen and MagicSculpt!
 _GOTOTOP