Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2010 - 06:12 AM UTC
Hi Folks,

It's been a while, but I am finally putting down roots again and unpacking models. Here's my Italeri 1/35 Opel Maultier. I packed her away during my first cross-country move in Aug. 1990. She survived a farther cross-country trip in 1993, then two of only 1,800 miles since Nov. 2007. She hasn't been outta the box until a couple of weeks ago. Surprisingly, for Italeri's delicate details, nothing was broken off!

Not a lot of weathering, and the dust is real What do you think, wash her off and add model dust? I didn't weather the tracks, either. And it looks like the vinyl wheels are attacking the styrene hubs. (My recently aquired unbuilt Italeri Maultier came with the tracks and wheels melted into the engine block.)

My Model History spreadsheet (OK, stop snickering! ) shows that I paid $3.79 for it, and I built the model from May 25 - 29, 1983. I used Pactra International Colors and Pactra enamels.

Berlin45
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2010 - 06:43 AM UTC
Now there's a Grand Old Dame! I'm impressed on how well it's survived- bravo! I recall slamming together the Blitz right about '82-'83 just for fun...

The only thing I would really suggest is replacing the wheels. I just picked up a Maultier at a local show myself for $5... complete with resin wheels! A good set makes a huge difference. Other than that... it's a nice historical piece for you!
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 02:57 AM UTC
nice antique build

suggest you wash the dust off !

Pass 3 thin pins under the chassis between the sprocket, idler & rear wheel to add some track sag, or some aftermarket tracks
 _GOTOTOP