_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-54 M1949 In Progress
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 11:55 AM UTC
I started this guy back in 1997 when Modelpoint came out with the turret. I lost interest in it (I was completely burnt out on armor after building my T-64B seen here), the kit suffered a fall from my loft with some minor damage and was left in its box for another day.

I also needed more T-54 parts that weren't out when I started it, which was the Spiderweb style roadwheels and more recently, the ZIP boxes on the fenders, which where all provided via Tank Workshop a couple years ago.

The armor bug bit again over the summer and while waiting for my PE to show up for my IT-1 conversion, I decided to drag this kit out as primer on building Cold War Soviet armor. I also happened to score another T-54 walkaround for a T-54 M1949 and I had to start the kit again.

Anyways about the kit, Its the Tamiya T-55 as the base, Modelpoint provided the turret and older style fuel tanks that where found on this T-54. The grey plastic is from the Tankworkshop...I used their T-54 engine deck, Spider Roadwheels and ZIP boxes. I scratch built the engine deck from the Tamiya kit. The tarp on the back of the turret is from Modelpoint. I used the MiG fuel lines, but substituted the brass wire with .25 Lead Wire. Karya towing cables finish up the after market stuff. I used "lead" (actually Pewter) wire of various thickness to do the electrical conducts and wiring on the vehicle. I have a set of assembled Masterbox T-55/62 Tracks that need to go on it yet. I also used Archer casting numbers and weld lines on it also.

The next thing that needs to happen to the kit is scratch building the Smoke canister mountings on the back fenders. I have a set of MiG Smoke canisters that someone gave me, and I need to go out and get some strip plastic of the right size to do that.

Any questions/comments...feel free to share!

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_HZsK5eCjrCc/TMn5WNyUv7I/AAAAAAAAJ3o/zM-vsSl3sHk/DSC_0175.JPG
" BORDER="0">

gizmo21
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 209 posts
Armorama: 155 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 12:28 PM UTC
Hello scott.

Nothing to comment.
Nice build clean build.
great conversion with very rare resin parts.
cant wait to see it primed or painted.

chris
cdharwins
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 491 posts
Armorama: 462 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 01:06 PM UTC
Looking good, Scott. IMHO, the T-54 is such a neglected subject. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

Chris
MilSpec
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 03:55 PM UTC
Hi Scott,

Nice start, good choice of subject.
Pictures 8 & 9 don't show on my computer at this time, just the horrible little red X boxes and some hypertext code.
I don't know how far you want to detail it, but I think the strap clamps on the back of the Tamiya external fuel barrels could do with some aid. The bracket is so thick and the molded in bolt lacks any character at all. But thats nit-picking for you. Looking good.
Watching construction with interest.

good luck,
James
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 08:47 PM UTC
Hi Scott
Me too, i can't see on my pc the picture 8 and 9

So far...You're doing a very very good work

If I was you, I'd detaile and improve the one-piece molded rear of searchlight (piece C49 in Tamyia kit)...
So far isn't that important

A stunning work
Looking forward to seeing your next steps

Cheers
TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2010 - 05:55 AM UTC
Nice start on your T54, but you have a mix of details that don't quite go together. For a T54 Model 1949 with the early fuel cells and bins, it would not have the wading strip around the engine deck ( that is a shame because you did a really good job on that) or 2 fuel drums. It would have the 1 fuel drum with smoke pots on either side. For pictures of that style mounting, look here and scroll all the way down.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/164877&page=1

Also it would not have the IR searchlight and only 1 headlight, the shrouded one. The commanders coming is the later style and should be the early one with the rim around the top. Another thing is the box on the left rear fender shouldn't be there. That is were the oil tank goes, the smaller piece that looks like a fuel cell. Most of these details would be present on a rebuild, but you would have to switch out the fuel cells for the later ones and add the later gunners sight to the turret.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2010 - 03:26 AM UTC
Tony,

I still need to install the Smoke Canisters on the rear fenders yet.

The wading strip on the engine deck has been on every T-54 M1949 I have photos of.

I know about the fuel tanks, but I'm depicting the vehicle as going through a rebuild but with some of the earlier features still being used....when it comes to Russian stuff...you can never say never.
TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 02:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The wading strip on the engine deck has been on every T-54 M1949 I have photos of.

Then every one you have seen went thru the upgrade program. Here are a couple pictures of an Egyptain one that did not get the upgrades.

Also with that style turret, it would not have the IR search lights. It does not have the later gunner's sight that was used with the IR equipment. Here is a picture of that style turret.

SEDimmick
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 - 05:43 AM UTC
Tony,

Sorry about that, I was conversing with Andy Taylor via email and pointed out the turret mods you where speaking about and I was wondering how the periscope behind the IR gear on the turret was supposed to work! I'm in the process of adding the gunners sight from the Tamiya T-55 turret and removed the periscope behind the IR projector on the turret. I'm going to leave the ZIP boxes and Fuel tanks on the kit, just to be different.

Do you happen to have any more photos of the fuel tank plumbing? It seems like I got it right, but want to make sure.

sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 02:52 AM UTC
I have this on the short "to do" list and watching this with interest.

cheers
Luty
Visit this Community
Russia
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 299 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 09:41 AM UTC
Scott,
I read your topic and the Tony comments too.
As I see you have obtained T-54 mod.1949 after factory modernization and upgraded to the T-54B.
So, my five cents for modernized T-54-3....add night gunners sight and do not remove IR gear on the turret . And add strips along the edges of hatches on the engine deck, such as the T-55. It is for deep wading system. Finally you need to install counterweight on the gun barrel. Like on the Andy's T-54 turret master.
http://armorama.com/forums/165807&page=1
And...waiting for new build images.
Removed by original poster on 11/05/10 - 21:59:59 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP