_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
WWII British Tanker Uniforms
Spuds
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 393 posts
Armorama: 287 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 04:33 AM UTC
Need to know the difference in color between the WWII British Pixie and Denim tank suits. Also need to know the approximate colors to use from the Vallejo range of acrylics.

Thanks,
Tom
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 10:49 AM UTC
Hi Tom,

I can only go by color photos in my references. I don't have examples of either uniform in my collection and have never handled any originals, either.

Having said that, the "Pixie" suits in photos are distictly "tannish-khaki," very similar to original P39 web gear colors, with some examples just a bit more on the brown side. The linings appear to vary from a brownish color similar to the normal British uniform color to a slightly greener shade of the same.

The denim tank suits are clearly a green on the slightly "bluish" side which fades to a color very similar to US OD no. 7 (later OD field uniform colors - not the earlier yellowish khaki color).

As for Vallejo colors, for the denim tank suit, you could start with #70893, US Dark Green. This would be a good "fresh, un-faded" or un-shaded color.

I don't have many Vallejo's on hand right now (I'm just starting to use them), but for the Pixie suit color, find the closest Vallejo color to Tamiya XF-59 or XF-60, with the XF-59 being closer to the photos I have. Again, the XF-59 would be a good, fresh, un-faded or un-shaded color.

I have seen photos of at least one Pixie suit that was made of a camouflage pattern cloth similar to the Dennison airborne smock. I'm not sure if this suit was actually a WWII issue item, however, the owner of that suit says it was.

HTH,
Mike
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 11:27 AM UTC
Tom

Vallejo "Panzer Aces" colours have a specific British Tank Crew colour, plus highlights for same. Hope this will help.

Regards

Rob
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 11:44 AM UTC
Hi Tom

A war time pic of the Pixie Suites:

The Denim Light Weight suits I have seen if an olive greeenish colour for NWE but also more faded with wash/wear and in Italy they look a buff/khaki colour. Could easily be two styles/colours if manufactired locally or in India.

Al
Spuds
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 393 posts
Armorama: 287 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 12:39 PM UTC
Thanks very much, Guys. This will certainly get me started. Very much appreciated.

Tom
 _GOTOTOP