_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Canadian Armor
Discuss all types of Canadian Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Quad Gun Tractor and 25PDR. build
noname
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 121 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 01:01 AM UTC
Yes I was thinking about making the rope smaller. I figure in scale the rope I have now would be like an inch thick or so in 1:1! Too bad cause it has a nice texture. I'll find something. The muzzle brake is going on as well. Then I'll do a bit of overall dusting with pastels followed by some paint and goop splattered on the lower half.
noname
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 07:06 AM UTC
I'm calling this finished! The photos are a little blue because I lost my sun. You'll also notice the mirror is missing in some photos. I broke that off I don't know how many times. Anyway, hope you like. Thanks to all those that lent a hand. Special thanks to Paul Roberts for helping me out with various aspects and history of the Quad !

If I get some sun peeking through the clouds tomorrow I'll try to take some better pics but the weather is looking gloomy for the next few days where I live.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 - 09:01 AM UTC
Good job, Matt. Looks the part, for sure.

W.r.t. the side mirrors, a lot of time I replace the plastic mirror rod with on emade from similar diameter brass rod (actually, you can usually go quite a bit smaller as most of the plastic support rods are too large in scale, partly to try to minimise their fragility.

For mine, I make some replacements from brass, using the originals as templates, carve off the plastic rod from the back of the mirror and then stick the rod to the mirror with CA. At that point you can also add any extra details you might want to add to the back of the mirror and then bond the rod to the model using CA in the same location hole for the plastic rod.

And thanks for the kudos, always willing to help.

Paul
noname
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 - 09:51 AM UTC
That is a good idea with the brass rod. I should pick some of that up just to have on hand. Can never have to much supplies.

Thanks again for your help. May call again on you in the future. I did pick up a few little booklets from Service Pub. but they are quite limited. I see a few nice possibilties for my M38A1. I'm tempted to pick another one or two of those kits so I can build different versions.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 - 12:18 PM UTC
Really nice dude!

I like a lot how did you weather this ugly mule!

And the "net stowage" is really convincing

I think i'll take as reference for my quad

I don't know if you like it, but are you going to do a diorama? it could be nice...

Congrats
noname
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 01:32 AM UTC
Thanks Mauro. I wasn't planning a diorama. It would be neat though. I can see it going though a village or a dirt road in the country side.
crossracer
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 01:42 AM UTC

That is a really nice job on an OLLLLDDD kit. LOL LOL LOL I only hope my testors panzer IV comes out as well as yours did.

Again nice work.

Bill
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 03:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Mauro. I wasn't planning a diorama. It would be neat though. I can see it going though a village or a dirt road in the country side.

If a dorama isn't in the cards, a simple base would serve to both protect the model and make it easy to move plus it would also "set" it in it's historical setting, making the weathering really come alive.

Personally, I hate painting figures and never do them, so dioramas are not in my future. On the other hand, I always make a base so I can move the model without damaging it (I always mount the model to the base with a screw up through the base and intot he bottom of the model). With the model fixed to the base and the base secured inside a larger box, I've never damaged a model in a move whereas I always used to lose small parts moving models without bases to contests.

A simple base could be a long rectangle of really muddy rural road with a small section of rock wall to one side and a shrub. Something that simple will really bring the entire model to life. No need for a crew, if you don't want to paint figures, it would look fine just sitting there in the muck.

Paul
noname
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 02:04 AM UTC
Thank you crossracer.

Paul I have mixed feelings on bases and dioramas. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate a good diorama and would like to try one sometime. I also really enjoy a nice appropriate base. And who knows, maybe I'll do one for my Quad. However, even if I do a base or dio for a build I still think it's a good idea to take some photos by itself on a neutral (or maybe blue etc.) background. I feel this allows the viewer to really see the model itself without any distractions. Having said that I do think your rural road example would look pretty sharp. I'll give it some thought. I would definately want it to be done well and convincing.

My concern also is getting it under glass somehow. I don't like to leave them out on an open shelf for they will eventually get full of dust. Unfortunatley I don't even have a good display case at the moment.
tominizer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 210 posts
Armorama: 81 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 08:44 AM UTC

Ikea is always your friend for cheap display cabinets !!
noname
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 11:26 AM UTC
Actually I have seen some decent ones from Ikea. Unfortunately there aren't any in my province. You can get stuff from them, you just have to pay for the shipping. I should give them another look now that you mentioned it.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 08:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If a dorama isn't in the cards, a simple base would serve to both protect the model and make it easy to move plus it would also "set" it in it's historical setting, making the weathering really come alive.

Personally, I hate painting figures and never do them, so dioramas are not in my future. On the other hand, I always make a base so I can move the model without damaging it (I always mount the model to the base with a screw up through the base and intot he bottom of the model). With the model fixed to the base and the base secured inside a larger box, I've never damaged a model in a move whereas I always used to lose small parts moving models without bases to contests.

A simple base could be a long rectangle of really muddy rural road with a small section of rock wall to one side and a shrub. Something that simple will really bring the entire model to life. No need for a crew, if you don't want to paint figures, it would look fine just sitting there in the muck.

Paul

That's it. absolutely! You should do something like this:

In my opinion a simple base diorama would make sense to your very nice weathering job.

cheers
noname
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 07:47 AM UTC
Yes I've seen that one before Mauro. Nice and simple but does the job.
Jeeprider
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 114 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 12:49 AM UTC
Hi,

I've just started to build this Quad Gun Tractor and was wondering if you still had any photos of the engine you detailed. I would like to add some wiring to mine but I'm struggling for reference pictures.

Cheers

Andy
 _GOTOTOP