_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
WW1 Mk4 Male - finally finished
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 10:07 AM UTC
Well, it took a few years. Can't even remember when I started it.

I lost the unditching rails (years ago) so had to make new ones. Apart from that and the big unditching sleeper and chain on top it is OOB.
The sleeper is made from three lollypop stick glued together and painted with Tamiya Black, Dark Brown and Light Earth(?) which was then scraped whilst wet with scotch brite.
The metal round it is lead foil. Some of the rust is Promodellers Rust Wash and some is Tamiya Dark Brown.

Hope you like it.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 02:35 PM UTC
Nice! I love these early tanks ...just wish we would get some new and up to date kits to build ...
TheGreatPumpkin
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 690 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 03:07 PM UTC
Murdo,
Is that the Emhar kit? I built the Mk IV Female kit last year and it was not pretty! Good job, yours looks great!
Regards,
Georg
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Armorama: 735 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 - 02:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice! I love these early tanks ...just wish we would get some new and up to date kits to build ...

I haven't built one, but if that's the 1/35 Emhar kit, you've really accomplished something! Of course, if that's the tiny 1/72 kit, you're a genius! That's one nice looking build.
I agree, I'd like one of these in 1/35 in my collection someday, but I'll hang back and see if a better kit comes along.
kudos,
Sean.
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,794 posts
Armorama: 1,431 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 - 02:45 AM UTC
Really nice modeling there. I too thought about getting one of these but after reading horror stories about the Emhar kit I quickly put it out of my mind. I would also love to see a better kit of this someday...

Rob
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 - 06:37 AM UTC
Hi Murdo,

Really nice work. Like the others I'd like to see some new decent WW1 kits and figuers. Maybe one day.

My only other throughts would be to vary the mud colour a little, with some dark and light patches.

Nice one - congrats on getting it finsihed

Al
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 - 08:11 AM UTC
Thanks all.

Yep, this is the Emhar 1/35th kit which to honest, I didn't have too many issues with. At least nothing a bit of cutting and sanding didn't fix... Apart from the tracks which refused to be held together by anything apart from six inch nails (hidden).

It is definitely worth buying and building.

To be honest I found the Trumpeter 1/35 "Desertised Challenger II" far more challenging (groan, 'scuse the pun) to build. Now that really was irritating!

Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
Armorama: 265 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 06:42 PM UTC
This is such an interesting subject, it's a shame more companies won't make WWI armor kits and more people won't build the existing kits. You did a great job with the weathering...I've seen some of these vehicles that just looked too new (and therefore, almost unnatural), and even more that have been overweathered to the point that you're not sure if you're looking at a model or a dried hunk of mud. Yours looks VERY well used, but also respectably maintained. Well done! What is the chain made out of?
Hederstierna
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 1,102 posts
Armorama: 1,018 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 09:15 AM UTC
Very nice work! I really love these WWI "monsters", and yes, we do need some new ones, whichs are up to date. I did this kit many years ago myself, and I didn't have much trouble with it either. One small thing though, you should make that chain more rusty. It's much too shiny, in my oppinion.
Jacob
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 09:48 AM UTC
Nice job. I did a Whippet that came out pretty good. Sure would like to see more WW 1 stuff, it would open a whole new era to model in. Imagine all the artillery , figures and accessories they could produce. Wishful thinking. Thank you for sharing, very nice model.........................Al
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Armorama: 735 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 10:47 AM UTC
Don't forget the Great War campaign starting here on the 11th day of the 11th month.
After reading this, I may rethink my choice and go with an Emhar WW I tank. I haven't bought any kit yet for that one. I really like the way Murdo's Mk IV turned out, and I'd love to have one even half that good.
-Sean
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 12:16 PM UTC
Nice work on the Emhar Mk. IV Murdo!

I'm going to be working on the MB resin Mk. IV and hopefully the Emhar 1/35 Whippet for the Great War campaign. I'd much rather have the AA Whippet, but it's nice to know that decent builds can be made from the Emhar kits.
 _GOTOTOP