1/72 scale UMmt T-26-1E (Ekhranami)
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 - 11:25 AM UTC
Hello

I like the big soviet tanks of WW2 as much as anyone. I'm talking about the mean and efficient looking T-34 variants and the brutally ugly KV-1 & KV-2s.

I also like the smaller soviet tanks. In some ways these are more interesting, sometimes fragile and antiquated looking. Generally, the lighter soviet tanks were unevenly matched against their opponents. To attempt to counter this, the T-26-1E was a T-26 with added armour plates to the hull sides and turret. Not the large bolted on slabs of armour that are seen on some KV-1s, but welded on plate of between 15-40mm thick. These are reported to have served on the Leningrad front into mid 1944.

I think these make a very interesting looking version, so have cracked open the box of UM-mt's T-26-1E tank.

It shares the common hull to all of UM-mt's T-26s. The extra armour comes in the form of brass etch.

I started with the fiddliest part first, the running gear and tracks.

The tracks are link and length which is an improvement on the earlier rubber band tracks that came in UM-mt kits. The tracks are very delicately cast and the individual links are hard to remove from the sprue without breaking them.

Below is progress to date.

I wrapped the long straight pieces that are meant to go top and bottom around the front and rear sprockets. The individual links are meant to go around the sprockets. I did this to have a straight and neat look from front and rear, and also so I could use the individual links to make realistic looking drooping on the top track.

I still have some sanding to do on the running gear and also some small parts to add.

pics below

cheers
Neil

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 04:42 AM UTC
Neil, you never fail to amaze me with the obscure and interesting vehicles that you find and build. It's sad that where I live most if not nearly all of these type of kits are unavailable (except with an obscene shipping cost attached). Your method of using the longer lengths of L & L track for the sprocket and idler is something that I'll have to see about utilizing in the future. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Jan
SchoeniR6
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 189 posts
Armorama: 189 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 05:38 AM UTC
Hi korpse

A very interessting model. Canīt see much of it in the moment. But

i hope you post some more. I didnīt know that kit befor. What is the quality like?

Wish you some fun a the build.

Greetings from Germany Daniel
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 09:08 PM UTC
Hi Jan / Daniel

thanks for your comments

I have this one about finished, just needs undercoat now

I would have taken more "in progress shots", but my camera's batteries went flat, and take a day to recharge, and I had the T-26 finished by then

The brass is very easy to use on this model, very solid, but lightly attached to the sprue, so is easy to cut from the sprue, and is easy to get nice neat bends without warping the panels. The panels come with 'creases' to make the angles easy to bend.

If I buy another UMmt T-26 I'd definitely buy their extra link and length track kit, and just use all long lengths, and not bother with the individual links which are very fragile. Would make the build much quicker and easier, and ensures very neat tracks. The fine casting makes the long lengths easy to bend without snapping them, then just need to use brush on super glue to neatly stick them. Super glue has added advantage of not melting the plastic the way liquid polystyrene cement does, so the running gear also looks much better

anyway here are some pics, hope to have some undercoat on this weekend

cheers
Neil

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2010 - 05:11 AM UTC
Very nicely done and fascinating little beast. I would seriously consider trying my hand at one if the were easily available. Even though I somewhat prefer modern subjects I am also fascinated by these small older armour ones. Just be sure that if you see my PzH 2000 approaching that you drive away or you might be run over and crushed.

Cheers,
Jan
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 11:01 AM UTC
Hi Jan

thanks

I now have an undercoat on this litle beast.

Virtually no putty needed, so next job is to preshade it, then get a top coat on it

cheers
Neil

SchoeniR6
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 189 posts
Armorama: 189 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 11:09 PM UTC
Hi Korpse

Great job. The Tank looks nice. But if you want drill out the exhaust and the guns.

That can take the Model a step higher. This is just a suggestion.

So wish you happy modelling.

Cheers
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2010 - 05:00 AM UTC
Well done Neil. You are a VERY productive modeler.

P.A.
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 11:32 AM UTC
Hello

thanks for your reply Alexander, I organise my spare time so I can spend a lot of it doing what I like - braille scale modelling

Daniel - thanks for the reminder on the exhaust and gun barrel. The exhaust was easy, but the 45mm gun barrel was a bit harder, given scaled down its diameter is well under a millimetre. I used a number 80 micro drill bit to hollow the end out, working carefully by hand

its been close to a month since I've had an opportunity to advance this build

poor weather has seen me spend my time working on two Braille Battlefield campaign builds.

I gave the T-26 some light pre-shading in matt black, and did some light fill in with matt green

A paintbrush hasn't touched this build, I may actually finish it with just the airbrush.

progress shots below

cheers
Neil

sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 03:45 PM UTC
A great build so far.

I must admit I do like the T-26 series and have one of the UM offerings in my stash.
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 08:35 AM UTC
Neil,

That is one ugly little soviet tank . . . but as you mention, 'interesting". Like you and Michael I also like these little soviet tanks. I just happen to have a copy of the same kit in my stash. Good to see yours here. Very well done.

-Eddy
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 - 05:25 PM UTC
Hello all

thanks for the kind words

as you may have noticed, I'm finishing off my started builds, to have a clean slate for the new year & before I start anything else new.

this one is another that has been hovering at about 95% complete, I feel guilty every time I open the cupboard I keep current projects in and see it.

no need to feel guilty anymore as this one is now complete (and I now only have one started build left in the cupboard)

this one has had drybrushing, damage repair, and a wash or two

the headlight was lost and I made a new one from a piece of sprue, it is meant to look damaged, but Im may need to add a bit of rust or dust to it, either that or paint it up to look operational

its on an unfinished diorama that I have been working on, just for some pictures

cheers
Neil

Firefly74
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 224 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 - 08:43 PM UTC
Hi Neil. You have been productive! Very nice build.
I like early war armour and have been impressed with the large range of armour kits both early and later war in the UM range. I have a couple in the stash that look of good quality an I would really like to get stuck into if I could find the time!
What colour green are you using on your russian armour?
Cheers,
Tim
 _GOTOTOP