_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Identify Vehicle Used in Oper. Motorman
Cookie
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 588 posts
Armorama: 490 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 01:06 AM UTC
I’m interested in completing a diorama of a scene from Operation Motorman from the early seventies in Northern Ireland. I have previously made enquires about tanks used in this operation but that has proved to be expensive due to having to buy kits and expensive conversation sets. I have unearthed the attached photo from my research of another vehicle used by the army during this operation. I know someone will be able to identify this vehicle and confirm if there is a 1/35 scale kit available.

Many Thanks Cookie
Cookie
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 01:10 AM UTC
Sorry forgot to attached photo

cookie
url=http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php/photo/348899][/url]
HermannWMLi
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 92 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 01:16 AM UTC
Hi Paul,

That's an Alvis Saradin, we used to have loads of it stationed in Hong kong in the sixties and seventies.

Tamiya has one ages ago, the other option is the Dartmoor resin kit I think.

Best regards,

Li
Cookie
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 01:20 AM UTC

Im new to this Cookie
dropshot
Visit this Community
Provincia de Pontevedra, Spain / España
KitMaker: 300 posts
Armorama: 214 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 01:37 AM UTC
Have a look at this one & compare prices & quality. http://www.djparkins.com/acatalog/1_35th_Vehicles.html
Cookie
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 02:10 AM UTC
Mike

They look and i'm sure they are high quality excellent kits,but still a bit expensive for me. I will have to do a bit more research about other vehicles used at the time of Operation Motorman and see if any are available as plastic kits.The landrover would probably be one possibility.

Many Thanks

Cookie
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 06:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They look and i'm sure they are high quality excellent kits,but still a bit expensive for me.

If 48 quid is too dear, then I suspect you are going to be in trouble. The late 50's through early 70's group of British vehicles is not known for having a lot of injection kits. I suspect you might not even find a correct injection Land Rover. If you do, that would probably be about it. There are resin kits of these subjects and conversions to update or correct the odd AFV that exists, but that's abuot it, I'm afraid. If you are willing to go to a more automotive scale like 1/43 or 1/24 you might find commercial versions of the military vehicles you are looking for and then you can scratchbuild the conversions to the military versions.

If you don't mind smaller models, then 1/76 and 1/87 offer a lot of options that 1/35 does not.

HTH

Paul

Hmmm, 48 quid for a Saladin, eh? Might have to go on the Christmas list, that...
Cookie
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 08:06 AM UTC
Paul

I suspect your right. this started as an idea after i saw photos of the Centurion used during operation Motorman. It trigered memories of seeing these in Northern Ireland during the time of the operation. All options seem to lead to Resin alternatives which are very expensive.

Cookie
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 08:33 AM UTC
You might find the Italeri Land Rover going cheap some where.
goldnova72
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 11:18 AM UTC
If you want to go Braille scale , I belive Airfix has the Saladin ,Saracen ( APC version ) and a Rover or 2 in 1/76 th . Not the graetest for detail , but would be a lot cheaper . You could even do a 3 or 4 vehicle check point dio .
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 11:53 AM UTC
Tamiya did have a 1/35 plastic Sally out MANY years ago, but it isn't very good by today's standards. You can find them cheaper nowadays than say 10 years ago, but still probably in the $20-30 USD range.
 _GOTOTOP