_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Long threads-major turn-off?
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 12:54 AM UTC
Sometimes threads become very lengthy and heavy in browsing sense.
Iīd just like to hear opinions about how a thread should be kept up, when to start another thread and so on.
I like to take digi pics while modeling and start "in-progress"-posts with lots of pictures and updates inside on thread. With all the feedback itīs pretty soon a big thread.
Is there any better way of doing this exept for starting another thread and post a link to the previous one in case someone missed the history of the project and would like to know more?
Also, to keep the communication efficient and tight, Itīs really worth reading the thread before making comments or asking questions. Most likely those things have already come up in a previous post in a long thread, perhaps even the answers!
The problem is that itīs very slow to view 5+pages of text and pics , especially if youīre having a slow connection.
I really like to have feedback while modelling, thatīs the best way to make things right from the beginning. However, sooner or later I find myself re-posting and double posting about the same things all over again as the thread grows and gets older.
Any insights on this?

Toni

PS. I hope this thread wonīt become a prototype of this question...
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 01:10 AM UTC
I find it much easier to track of the progress of someone else's build if the updates are posted to the original thread instead of starting a new one. I have a tendency to "get lost" if the updates are posted in 4 or 5 separate threads instead of just updating the old one.

Just my thoughts.

Shaun
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 01:49 AM UTC
Yes, they are. I have my preferences set to 30 posts per page. I generally stop reading a thread when it goes past the second page. Sometimes I won't even follow it to the second page.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 01:57 AM UTC
I have my posts per page at 50 and if I see a thread that goes past two pages I bail (unless I really want to read it or it involves me directly).

I have seen (and used) the title line to reference Subject Update I or Subject Update II or Subject Update III and so forth. I can do a search and find common threads that way.

I do prefer a new thread when new information is offered to a subject.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Armorama: 903 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 07:20 AM UTC
Hi there

I agree with Shaun - it's much easier to keep track of who's doing what if we keep the number of threads down.

I admit to sometimes starting a new thread when I think there's sufficient reason, because it does seem to get some fresh input...

What really does my head in isn't long threads - it's over-long posts!! If I see a solid page of "stream of thought" - sometimes with no punctuation - my eyes begin to glaze over!! At times like that, I wish Armorama had an Editor! :-)

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP