_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Tamyia T62/M60A2
Zinker55
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2010 - 05:27 PM UTC
Hello,

My first post, and I'm going to ask for some help...I'm an old Cold War vet getting into modeling. Found my Tamiya T62 and M60a1 and A2 kits. I crewed both of the 60's and actually got to drive a T62...Are there "upgrades" for these kits? And if you all can lead me to the right spot to start, I'll get out of the way and do some modelling.....

Thanks,
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
Armorama: 643 posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2010 - 08:56 PM UTC
Hi Steven, and welcome

I can only comment on the T-62. The Tamiya kit looks like a T-62 from a distance, but if you look closely the kit has many flaws. Trying to improve it with new tracks or photo etch is in my opinion a bit of a waste of money. I would just build it out of the box, or if you really think accuracy is important buy the Trumpeter kit which is much better (but still not perfect). If you search through the forums for "T-62"or "Tamiya T-62" you'll find some more detailed info on the issue.

cheers,

Matthijs
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2010 - 11:30 PM UTC
Hi Steven
Hi agree whit mat. T62 Tamiya is an old kit (over 30 years old. The kit modelling ancient era ...). It has always the Tamiya quality, but actually is wrong in shape and surely not as accurate as the Trumpy model. Buying some detailing set for this kit it's a bit waste of money.
However you can buld it OOB just for fun
Someone obtained nice results whit this old kit:

Anyway you can find some info
HERE

HERE(written in italian language)

HERE
https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/139315

HERE

cheers, good luck

MrNeil
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 266 posts
Armorama: 262 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 03:51 AM UTC
Hi Steven, and welcome to our band of craziness

As a few people have said, the Tamiya T-62 isn't great in terms of accuracy, though it builds up well. I suggest you use it as a first model to practice your skills. The money you'd spend turning it into an accurate model could be better spent buying a Trumpeter T-62 which is better out of the box.

As for the M60A2, it's also a real old kit but isn't bad and it's the only game in town. AEF Designs does a replacement turret which is pretty decent. I've heard talk that the best way to make an accurate M60A2 is to use the Esci hull (now available from Revell) and the AEF Designs turret.

Cheers,

Neil
TheGreatPumpkin
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 690 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 04:15 AM UTC
Steve,
As Neil said: welcome! The Tamiya T-62 is kind of a relic, but can be built into something that looks the part with a little work. The worst part of the kit is the turret which has the wrong frontal contours (it should be vertical where it meets the hull). The kit could also stand to get a new set of tracks, but this might be overkill, especially considering the Trumpeter kit is much more accurate. Whatever you choose to do, have fun. That's what this hobby is all about!
Regards,
Georg
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 11:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As for the M60A2, it's also a real old kit but isn't bad and it's the only game in town. AEF Designs does a replacement turret which is pretty decent. I've heard talk that the best way to make an accurate M60A2 is to use the Esci hull (now available from Revell) and the AEF Designs turret.

Cheers,

Neil

The Esci hull is the best one to use. You'll need to scratchbuild a CBSS bulge. Stay away from AEF Designs unless you like any one of the following:
Broken parts
Missing parts
Ill fitting parts
Zero customer service
It's a shame too, because his masters indicate a certain level of accuracy.

The main improvement dimensionally you can make with the Tamiya turret is to shorten the bustle by .25 inches. The rest is just detail work you can do yourself.
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 12:09 PM UTC
The Esci hull is the best one to use. You'll need to scratchbuild a CBSS bulge. Stay away from AEF Designs unless you like any one of the following:
Broken parts
Missing parts
Ill fitting parts
Zero customer service
It's a shame too, because his masters indicate a certain level of accuracy.

HAHA you forgot horrible instructions in addition toi the other.......

I agree with the others here inregard to these kits - if you want accuracy go elsewhere if you just want something that looks the part then they'll work. The Tamiya T-62A (Wrong designation also) is more like 1/32 scale.

You can find the Trumpy T-62 kit for a good price at HobbyEasy..... The ESCI M60 kits can still be had for a good price also but they are getting harder to find.

Chris
Yoni_Lev
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 05:19 PM UTC
Here is a little something you should read in regards to the various M60 kits.

HTH.

-YL
Zinker55
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 05:51 PM UTC
Hey THANKS Guys,

Well looks like I'll practice on these kits to get my skills back before I spend big bucks on the newer (much nicer kits). I can't believe the kits AND the add on details, ALMOST anything is possible.....

Thanks again, Zinker55 Armor Rules.......
 _GOTOTOP