_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Blast bags on main guns
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 03:41 AM UTC
Hi, I am working on Tamiya's 1/35 Chieftain and pretty much doing it OOB. Well, except for fixing the original versions RC holes in the bottom of the hull and such.

But, the point of this post is that I was considering adding the 'blast bag' on the main gun, so I don't have a opening into the inside.

So what are the techniques you all use to do so? And if you could post pictures too that would be great. Thanks for your assistance and thoughts.

John
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 05:45 AM UTC
Because the Chieftain doesn't use the "traditional" mantlet cover, your job will actually be easier than using tissue paper diluted with white glue and fashioning your own clips for it.
For this one, and two part putty will work. I think I use Apoxy-I'd have to check.
You can do most of the shaping with toothpicks and other small blunt tools before the putty cures.

Photo courtesy of Primeportal:

http://data.primeportal.net/apc/jussen/chieftan/Chieftain (MJU)-26.jpg
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 02:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Because the Chieftain doesn't use the "traditional" mantlet cover, your job will actually be easier than using tissue paper diluted with white glue and fashioning your own clips for it.
For this one, and two part putty will work. I think I use Apoxy-I'd have to check.
You can do most of the shaping with toothpicks and other small blunt tools before the putty cures.

Photo courtesy of Primeportal:

http://data.primeportal.net/apc/jussen/chieftan/Chieftain (MJU)-26.jpg

Robert,

Thanks for the information. Do you happen to know what material it is made of? How would milliput work for this kind of job? I saw some at Hobby Lobby and was thinking of getting some.

John
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 03:31 PM UTC
Hit an art supply store and pick up Magic Sculpt. It's just as good as any other two part epoxy; and, it's a lot cheaper. A set (8 oz. each resin/hardener) costs about twelve bucks.
 _GOTOTOP