_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Holl'y first Churchill Tank Airfix 1/76
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Armorama: 806 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2010 - 09:18 AM UTC
Holly moved on from her first ever Family build of the Airfix White Half Track and Trailer to her first ever tank.

Airfix Churchill in 1/76

Holly is just 7
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2010 - 10:17 AM UTC
For a kit of the age it is, it is surprising how little flash or sprue connection needed sanding. I was impressed how well Holly took to working with all the tiny pieces that this kit holds. Even the fact that the running gear involved great repetition, she did not get bored. She is a lot less ham fisted than I ever was at her age.

Some more pics of todays building

Holly keeps a neat and tidy work table ,,,,,,,, unlike her dad

Nige
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2010 - 10:29 AM UTC
Holly attacks the turret

Some really tiny parts to work on ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but she has mastered the art of glueing without pasting the whole model with finger prints.

Nige
AikinutNY
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 683 posts
Armorama: 630 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2010 - 12:32 PM UTC
Looking good! Great seeing some one that young showing an interest in the hobby.

I remember my first Churchill by Airfix, those road wheels drove me crazy.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2010 - 01:50 PM UTC
Tanker Holly,

Superb work so far! Far better than I ever did when I was your age oh so long ago.

Do you like building a model and learning its history better than just listening to a teacher talk about it?

Happy Modeling!
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 - 08:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tanker Holly,

Superb work so far! Far better than I ever did when I was your age oh so long ago.

Do you like building a model and learning its history better than just listening to a teacher talk about it?

Happy Modeling!

Thanks Jim and Jeff for the encouragement !!!!!!! Holly is fair chuffed !

Holly says she likes to read books about the tanks and about the army. She was busy playing in the snow while I was at work today but still was desperate to get the tool boxes and spare track links on to the sides.

Holly herself was quick to point out that the Churchill tank tracks don't fit and wonders what every one else has done to fit the tracks properly.

Any suggestions for her

Thanks folks
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 - 08:50 AM UTC
Please tell Holly that I am quite impressed with her skills and dexterity. At times it would be so nice to have fingers that small and nimble. My first tank was an Airfix Tiger that I built when I was about eight. It didn't turn out near as well as her Churchill is coming along. In fact, when I looked back at it years later it was obvious that I didn't follow the instructions properly and numerous parts were put on wrong and backwards.

As for the tracks, what exactly is wrong. Too long, too short??

Cheers,
Jan
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 1,507 posts
Armorama: 1,304 posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 - 09:59 AM UTC
very well done Holly!
keep it up

it's good to see young ones getting the bug as it were, of the hobby.
you must be really proud Nige.

i've been trying to get my kid brother into the hobby with no success.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 - 03:54 PM UTC
Tanker Holley,

Unfortunately, I've never built a Churchill tank before, let alone one by Airfix, so I do not have any suggestions to help you fix the tracks.

I remembered an article on building Airfix Chuchills in Scale Military Modeller International, Volume 40, Issue 472, July 2010, pages 58 and 59. I'll scan it and mail the two page article to your dad if you want.

Has your dad shown you a website called Prime Portal? Although not the same version as the Churchill tank you are building, images like the one below might help you with assembling your kit and how different parts are supposed to look:

Prime Portal has a LOT pictures of all kinds of real tanks, guns, trucks, and so on.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 - 04:45 PM UTC
Nige I am really impressed with the work Holly has put into this build. Would she be interested in tackling something larger in scale?
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 - 05:13 PM UTC
Hi Darren

The way Holly is coping with this little beasty, I am sure that she will be taking on bigger and better kits soon.

We have got to have her figure out how to get the tracks joined together as her dad remembers how the instruction sheet method of toasting the ends with a warm screwdriver normally left you with a molton mush that failed to stay together no matter how hot or cold the blade would be. As well as that, there was the chance of ending up with molten fingers too.

Dad has put into her head about needle and thread to see if she can figure out what might be another way of pulling the ends together.

Was hoping for some hints and tips from others who might know ways that might work just as well for her to think about too.

Nige
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 - 05:38 PM UTC
Use a stapler and hide it under the top track guard.
casualmodeler
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 - 08:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thatīs exactly, what I did with my son and his Airfix 1/76 Crocodile. Tracks were atleast one length too short, so we used stable and CA to secure the joint. Then placed it inside to track guard and.... tadaa!! You donīt notice a thing.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 12:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I remembered an article on building Airfix Chuchills in Scale Military Modeller International, Volume 40, Issue 472, July 2010, pages 58 and 59. I'll scan it and mail the two page article to your dad if you want.

Has your dad shown you a website called Prime Portal? Although not the same version as the Churchill tank you are building, images like the one below might help you with assembling your kit and how different parts are supposed to look:

Prime Portal has a LOT pictures of all kinds of real tanks, guns, trucks, and so on.

Jeff

I forgot to say thanks for the reminder about Primeportal. Will get that site up for a look around the Churchill to let Holly see what she is building.

Also, if you can pass on that article scan, it would be appreciated. Will give holly a good read on how to build that she can compare notes how her's went. Am keen that they start to think about how the build goes together and how other folks do theirs.

Thank you from Holly (and myself) for the encouragement and help.

Nige and Holly
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 09:07 AM UTC
Nige if you E-mail or PM me your address I have a 1/35th Academy Panzer IV Holly can go to war on. Call it an early or late Xmas present depending on the Royal mail.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 02:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nige if you E-mail or PM me your address I have a 1/35th Academy Panzer IV Holly can go to war on. Call it an early or late Xmas present depending on the Royal mail.

Hi Darren

Many thanks for that offer, much appreciated. I am hoping for Holly to get fired into my stash that I have managed to pile up over the years and I know that I would probably not get round to helping her with a big kit for a while.

It will be great to get her progressing onto larger scale kits at some time but with Baby number three on the way I will be forced to make small pushes into the stash.

Cheers

Nige

AikinutNY
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 683 posts
Armorama: 630 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 03:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That was close to what I did on several of my earliar projects with rubber tracks that the pins did not hold. I used a needle and thread to hold it under the track covers. I put the tread through holes in the track, tied into a knot.

This might be something you should help her with. After all she is learning how to ut a model together and you could learn to sew a little! LOL
basiltank
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 04:40 AM UTC
Nige,
Congrats on baby #3!!! I'm expecting my first any day now and I can't wait. Good job on gettting Holly into the hobby. Not only is it good to get kids in but girls as well, we're sadly lacking that in the hobby as a whole. As far as tracks go, you can kinda super glur them together with ALOT of CA but it's not easy and looks kinda messy, but if noithing else works for you then try this.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 10:37 AM UTC
Hi Jim

Me being Ex SAS (OK Saterdays and Sundays) soldier I have no problems sewing. One does have to be able to sew a button back on after yer trousers fall down half way through an assault course!!!!! Yes ,,,,,,,,, very embaracing !!!!!

Danial

Good luck with baby and all the very best to the good lady. Will be looking out to hear what the product of all your (I mean the good lady's) labours has produced. One of the best ever kit builds you will ever be involved in. You supply the parts and the Mrs builds it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the best

Nige

okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2011 - 11:25 AM UTC

Holly and I finally got around to trying a bit of painting. Long overdue, but Holly has not lost the taste for model building. Desperate to get the Churchill painted and get on to the 1/32 Do 27 she won as a raffle prize.

Here she is paint brush in hand.

Me painting up the Bedford MK with her

Me thinks she is still hooked

Nige
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2011 - 10:37 PM UTC
Heya Nige and a special Hello to Holly mate i can see a future master in the making here ..that little Churchill aint that easy a tank to make and shes doing a brilliant job ,,well done indeed ,, love seeing this ,,the younglings getting into our hobby .cant wait to see what else she comes up with
Hollie's next project .. Trumpeter K5 rail gun in 1/35th
 _GOTOTOP