_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
How to model a T-62
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 03:25 AM UTC
Help to produce a proper T-62. Anyone can add information. I will try to post updated information at the top of this thread to make a quick, one stop information source, but it will be kept intentionally focused as quick help. Detailed discussion will still remain in the thread itself. All contributions welcome.
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 02:06 PM UTC
Great thread Jacques !!

It's been longtime since we talked about your great build logs.

Keeping it "On Topic",

I guess we have 3 kits:
- Tamyia and 2 Trumpeter version so far. But since the Tamyia is off.scale and inaccurate (see old threads), let's just consider the 2 Trumpeter versions.
62 and 72 versions

- An RB model Resin update
http://rbmodel.pl/picture.php?dir=35RS03

And some Voyager PE sets. (--don't know how many sets or their quality--)

I hope to post soon some sprue pics of the 62 version.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 04:07 PM UTC
Sergey is planning several SP Designs updates to include the Brow armor and KTD laser range finder in several versions. SP Designs has two turret sets out right now, a correction set for the m62 kit and a conversion to make the m72 into a m67.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 02:41 PM UTC
MiG productions is coming out with a T-62M update with a new turret with the brow armor and Anti-radiation cladding on the turret.

Machine Burro has out an IT-1 conversion, which converts the T-62 into a missile carrying Anti tank vehicle.

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/newkitnews/machineburro.html
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 09:06 AM UTC
I build the old Tamyia kit a few years ago.
But recently I got the Trumpeter 62 version, what are the differences with the 72 version ? any other variants that might be available in the future ?
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 02:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I build the old Tamyia kit a few years ago.
But recently I got the Trumpeter 62 version, what are the differences with the 72 version ? any other variants that might be available in the future ?

Biggest differences are that the M1972 has new track and drive sprocket and a new turret vs the M1962 Model.

I haven't seen a list, but I wouldn't be surprised to see modernized models with the BDD armor on it as seen in Afghanistan and later wars in Russia itself.
Switzersland
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 196 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 03:42 AM UTC
Question; Are the Idler wheels supposed to fit snug on the spindles, on a Trumpeter T-62 1962 ?
Luty
Visit this Community
Russia
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 299 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 04:22 AM UTC
The best conversion sets for T-62's makes Modelpoint from Russia
http://magicmodels.ru/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=33&Itemid=4&lang=en
Luty
Visit this Community
Russia
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 299 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 07:49 AM UTC
Russian only
Switzersland
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 11:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Question; Are the Idler wheels supposed to fit snug on the spindles, on a Trumpeter T-62 1962 ?

Help please
picard1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 04:26 PM UTC
i have the mig productions t62 set can any one help the anti radiation cladding on the turret is this metal or some other substance cant find any photos in my books on the T62
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 06:08 AM UTC
The material on the roof is a fiberglass resin/ lead impregnated lining, often called anti-rad lining, that was applied to the exterior, and interior, of Soviet tanks to counter the effect of Neutron Bomb radiation. I have also seen this called anti-neutron cladding.

There is one vehicle like this in a Afghanistan tank grave yard. I do not have access to the pics at the moment. Not sure how many more T-62's were built to this spec, but most likely not too many as many more T-62's with the brow armor do not have the exterior anti-rad cladding. Best guess is Mig was trying to do something different to distinguish their product from the rest.
picard1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 02:28 PM UTC
thanks that helps a lot maybe i wll just make a soviet one
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 04:17 AM UTC
I got the MiG Productions T-62M1 last week and finally got to get a good look at this week..biggest issue with the kit is that the brow armor on the turret doesn't quite fit the weld marks on the turret. I think some minor adjusting using hot water or a blow drier to bend them a little should take care of the problem.

With that being said, I really don't see this kit not being release with just the extra armor bits and one or two additional parts to make it into a "normal" T-62M
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 06:17 AM UTC
If the MiG set doesn't contain the pcs for the engine swap to the B-46-5M then its not really a T62M1 just a T62M with the BDD package.

Also,
RmsH track is not really an identifying feature of a T-62 model 72 (or any T54/55/62 for that matter). I haven't found ANY on model 72s during the 73 war, even on tanks with engineering equipment. The big changesfor the Model 72 was the new turret casting and continuing to use the MTO engine from the model 67.

Chris
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 09:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If the MiG set doesn't contain the pcs for the engine swap to the B-46-5M then its not really a T62M1 just a T62M with the BDD package.

I don't have any of my photo references handy nor do I recall any differences in the engine deck post T-62m1972 that there was any changes. I have a listing of changes done to the T-62 from a Russian site, bookmarked on my laptop/home computer that I can't access now while at work.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 02:37 AM UTC
First, I have a commentary from a friend off of my e-mail. Not sure if he wants to be ID'd, so it is anonymous for right now - (I did do a little editing and fact checking )

The T-62M1 was the final Cold War version of the tank. It was a common variant with 'anti-radiation shielding in the 8th Guards Tank Army and the 79th Guards Tank Army in the mid-to late 1980's. In the beginning of that decade the T-62 was the main war fighter of the Group of Soviet Forces in Germany. T-55 was still in the Motor Rifle Divisions and Independent Tank Battalions. T-80 deliveries were not as fast as the Russians had hoped and they moved them around a lot to give watchers the impression that they were everywhere, but it was 1986-7 before the T-62 was replaced in the forward positioned Tank regiments. However they soon replaced the T-55 in the second echelon units with the T-62 and the T-55 remained in service until the end in Independent regts and training units.

The T-62M1 with anti radiation cladding was a typical tank of the Soviet front line in the mid 1980's. It was the best of the T-62 line and a lot were given the T-72 engine. There were 94 of these tanks in a Regiment and 51 in an Independent tank regiment. Hardly a rare beast! The 1V13 laser sight linked to the KMT-2 laser, made the Rapira-2 gun a very useful and accurate anti-armour weapon in the European environment at this time. Used with the ''Shenska'' main gun launched missile (AT-12 Stabber/Swinger) that had a maximum range of 4,000 metres against both tanks and anti-tank helicopters, it was almost as good as a T-80BV except for its sluggishly slow speed.

The Soviets had rapidly fitted their front-line armour with anti-radiation cladding to defeat the very real perceived threat from US artillery delivered nuclear weapons, especially the M752 Lance using the W70 warhead. Deployed in Western Germany with the US and British Armies it was a weapon greatly feared by the Soviets. (Incidentally the West Germans wanted nothing to do with this system and refused to deploy it. It would kill hundred of thousands of their citizens if it was ever used]. Scientifically the lead shielding really had value in protecting the crews inside AFV's and the Soviets also fitted it to BMP vehicles.

This material was a grey colour, but was always over-painted on the top and left natural inside. Paint did not effect its chemical properties. There are many, many colour references on the WEB of the cladding over-painted in the tanks normal colour. The T-62AM/BV was, in the later half of the 1980's, the most numerous vehicle in the GSFG.

Afghanistan.
As more T-62's were replaced in the forward positioned regiments in Germany they were remanufactured by being "sanitized". The missile guidance systems were removed. The associated laser sight was removed as was the anti-radiation cladding and the side tucha smoke dischargers. This was done in base workshops in East Germany. The tanks were then rail shipped to be issued to The 40th Army in Afghanistan.

How a single example crept through unaltered is unknown to me, as is the reason why Mig Production want to sell their model as a ''Taliban tank''. All very strange.

The model depicted when in Soviet front line service was the best of the T-62's [and usually without side skirts]. They must have had a really incompetent logistics officer to ship one to Afghanistan !!!!!
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 02:41 AM UTC
Next, a link to the Tanknet "history of the T-62" page

Also, in response to two points in the post above:

1. I have seen the anti-rad liner inside T-62's that have been repainted white to match the interior.

2. Even if the T-62 w/ anti-rad liner was a significant tank in GSFG, it is devilishly hard to find pictures of them.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 02:43 AM UTC
Finally, two pics I have from A-stan:

"Boneyard" outside Kabul, IIRC.

Enjoy!
zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 04:21 AM UTC
A few (three) more vehicles with anti-radiation matting can be found in this M-L post:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1290891268/Here+is+some+additional+info+for+you

Cheers,
/E
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 02:38 PM UTC
The T-62AM/BV was, in the later half of the 1980's, the most numerous vehicle in the GSFG.

That should have been the T-64 AM/BV. My goof.
markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
KitMaker: 467 posts
Armorama: 392 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 12:24 PM UTC
Hi I am building my fruil tracks ahead of the trumpeter t-62 72 kit. Does anyone know how many links I should have per side.

thanks
Mark
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 09:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi I am building my fruil tracks ahead of the trumpeter t-62 72 kit. Does anyone know how many links I should have per side.

Mark,
I can't help for the mod72 with RMSh tracks but concerning the early type OMSh, the maximum number of links was 96 with a minimum of 90. I guess that the number of RMSh links is in-between too.
Keep in mind that more than often, the model tracks need less links than the real vehicle ones. And this is particularly true with Friul tracks as the wire acting as track pin gives more elasticity to the track.
HTH
Olivier
markchis
Visit this Community
Kuwait / لعربية
KitMaker: 467 posts
Armorama: 392 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 01:42 PM UTC
Olivier,
thank you very much for advice. I used 90 links which provides a realistic sag. I had to use the drive sprockets without the mudscraper - or they wont fit the fruil tracks.

thanks again
Mark
Switzersland
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 - 09:46 AM UTC
need some ideas for Russian or Soviet Paint schemes.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
 _GOTOTOP