Hosted by Darren Baker
1/72 VW Transporter (Vanagon)
drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 01:33 PM UTC
I just picked up PJ Productions' VW Transporter Type II (T3). This model represents the 3rd generation of utility vans from Volkswagen and is well crafted.
As you can see the casting are very crisp with minimal casting flash clean up!

Very simple to put together minus the clear sheets for all the windows, which will be a bit of a pain... and then there is my syndrome where Im going to have to do some mods to this as well. I have decided to model this with the rear hatch and sliding door open. To do so i used a two part impression putty and applied it to the doors and let it set, about 6 min!
Then I used dental resin mixing a medium density amount and poured it into the door impressions

After a bit of trimming and thinning I got the doors duped....

Up next ... removal of kit doors and figuring out how to pull off this idea realistically!
drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 01:06 PM UTC
I got the sliding (side) door out of the kit body today as well as assembly of some of the interior for test fitting. I think it's going to work out well. Here are some shots!

Next up is removing the rear 'door'. Hopefully that will go just as smoothly. Then I am going to figure all the interior body panels and door details....
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 12:50 AM UTC
Hi Drew

unusual choice of subject, which makes it all the more interesting

and who doesn't love VW's ? (maybe lots of people dont like VWs, but I always have)

interior details will take some sweat and skill, but going by your T-34 builds it will barely be a challenge for you

I made all the Military Wheels 1/72 VWs a couple of years ago. Limited Run moulds, they were very hard to get a good result out of. If I had more time and there were not so many other kits I want to build, I'd scrap the ones I've built and build them all over again, hopefully getting a better result.

Its been a bit quiet on the Braille Scale Forum.
I think some of the regulars are putting their builds in the current 'Braille Battlefield' campaign. Not sure if you know about that campaign, it runs from November till next May, and has a lot of current participation, lots of "in progress" builds being posted. I've put my latest in progress build in it, a Panhard armoured car.

I'm not running the campaign, but if you wanted to join I'm sure you'd be made very welcome. If you're not interested in the campaign, thats cool too, I'll just check out your work here.

cheers
Neil

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 03:56 AM UTC
Hmmm, this project makes me wonder about a Braille Scale VW campaign. I personally have had three air cooled V-Dubs. The most memorable was a '74 Beetle with a 1700 Porsche engine (102 hp) and transmission.

Seeing that this is posted in Armorama, are we to expect a camouflage paint scheme or will it become a gun-truck?

Cheers,
Jan
Son-of-a-Gun
Visit this Community
Hamburg, Germany
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 05:46 AM UTC
Hi Andrew!

I just took a look to your post about the T3 Volkswagen Bus.
May be this helps a bit with the painting of the T3.
If you like the German Army style?!?!?!?

http://www.panzerbaer.de/colours/a_relaunch/bw_pkw_8sitz_vw_bus.htm

Regards
Son-of-a-Gun
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 08:53 AM UTC
Hello Andrew,

Unusual subject I wish you the best.

I very much liked the simple but effective way that you made the parts you needed.
Since it's time for my scheduled visit to the dentist now I know what I'm gonna ask from him

P.A.
drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 06:12 PM UTC
Thanks guys!
@ Neil, Ya, I dig VWs too! I've wanted to hit up those Vw kits but with an ACE Gaz M-1 pn the bench with tons of fine tuning to do, & I was cringing at a simIlar ordeal with those Military Wheels kits. Props to you!!! Cool subjects but also limit testers..HA! Ya, and I will get on over to the Braille Battlefield forum and get involve as it's been great watching everyones progressions!

@Jan, I had a '66 bus for about five bitter sweet years...you just GOTta love 'em! Im waiting for Pj productions to do a '60s split window. They do have a great '70s bus kit! and .... hmmmmmmm.... Maybe I could what if it and fit a Blackhawk doorgunner in there... ! Actually it may be a civi vehicle in a military-esque scenario!

@Lars, wow, ya just got to love the web! Thanks for that camo scheme.. what a cool find!

@Alexander, I have been working at a dental lab for a long time and it really has made the hobby all the better! Some of the better LHS carry some of these things but I imagine if you call yer local Lab they could possibly order it for ya! there's denture acrylic/resins, and impression materials that come in real handy!

I gotta pick up some discs and what not for the dremel to excise the rear door.
More soon, cheers!
dR3W
drew_youngman
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 08:55 AM UTC
I got the kit's door out with a dremel and files! Here's the new door in place with some temp struts in brass.

Interior panels will be next...
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 09:26 AM UTC
Hi Andrew.

The doors look just fine there.

Keep these pics coming.

P.A.
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 11:42 AM UTC
Andrew,

Great start on this resin kit. I like how you've gone beyond just putting the kit together and have taken the time and extra effort into producing your own parts to enhance an otherwise good kit and making it even more interesting to look at when finished. I can see that its a lot of work to do but the effort will be worth it in the end. Now the model can be better utilized with other vehicles or just stand alone with a few figures and supplies. Keep it coming . . .

Thanks for sharing your method and the supplies used to create your parts with.

-Eddy
 _GOTOTOP