Hosted by Darren Baker
Ardennes Trees
newdriftking
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 283 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 08:46 AM UTC
Can this be used to scratch build trees in the Ardennes region??

http://www.floristandgardensupplies.co.uk/acgsshop/prod_906279-Green-Flocked-Asparagus-Fern-Leaves-x-24.html

HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 09:22 PM UTC
Hey Paul...
I have since edited this as I did not realise they were artificial asparagus fern! If you can source the real thing (which is possibly a little finer but the same basic structure) when used 'correctly' can represent a very realistic pine. Do a couple of searches on Kitmaker. There is at least one simple but good SBS on using these and tapered dowel 'trunks' to model various sized pines. (Scale) 25-30 footers are probably the limit I have gone with these. So long as you seal the fern fronds with glycerine and follow the branch structure of the real thing, they are quite realistic. One word of caution would be to taper the dowel to a fine point on the tip. Some I have seen although well made, have a thick piece of the 'trunk' still penetrating the highest branchline and just looks way to bulky. Good luck with the project...
Brad
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 10:39 AM UTC
Yeah, don't make your tree trunks look like sharpened pencils. They need to taper from base to tip.
 _GOTOTOP