_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Vietnam
For Vietnam diorama subjects or techniques.
Hosted by Darren Baker
PBR
andy5582
Visit this Community
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2010 - 09:59 AM UTC

Hope U like It !
Thanks
Stefan1580
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 360 posts
Armorama: 354 posts
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2010 - 10:13 AM UTC
Hi,

very nice diorama. Good job with the water and the PBR. The watch tower looks also great but i think is still missing an M60 or Cal.50 gun. A little Problem is the Jeep. This configuration was after Vietnam. This is an M151A2 Version with Tow luncher. In Vietnam they use the M151A1 Version with an 40 mm recoilles rifle or M60 / cal 50. Otherwise an very good work and nice diorama. I see you use the nice ADV PBR crew. I have them too and they are a good additon for the Piber.

Good work

Greetings

Stefan
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2010 - 01:26 PM UTC
Very nice job. The PBR and water look especially nice. I have a PBR dio in the works and need to get buisy on it. My dio also has a watch tower and bunker, but mine has a much longer pier rather than a small boat dock. There are pictures of it under construction on the second page of my gallery.Hopefully it will photo up as nicely as yours did. Take care...........Al
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 752 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2010 - 01:30 PM UTC
Awesome dio! Really Good!

what was the skeleton thing at the end of the dock? Could you post a close up please? would you be able to post some close ups of the whole lot as well?

Stafan, i have seen pics of the TOW mounted on jeeps in vietnam, so i don't think he is wrong.
highway70
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 322 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2010 - 06:19 PM UTC
Very nice diorama, however the sandbags do not look right. Sandbags vary greatly in color but the green you used is not even close to correct and they apprar to be a bit shiny. Do a Google search "sandbags vietnam" for color images
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 03:11 AM UTC
The overall dio looks great. As pointed out above though, the M151A2 TOW MUTT is not correct for the time period though. The M151A2 version wasn't fielded until 1970 and the TOW began testing in 1970 as well. Very few (if any) A2 MUTTs were sent to Vietnam since we were ending operations there and scaling back by 1970. If a few M151A2 TOW MUTTS were sent to Vietnam, it was for testing only and they woulde not be seen in operational units. Likewise, the PBR mission was turned over to the S. Vietnamese Navy by mid '71 as well. It is almost impossible that a test M151A2 TOW would have been seen with a PBR in Vietnam. A more appropriate model would be either a standard M151A1 or an M151A1C with a 106mm Recoilless Rifle mounted.
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 08:57 AM UTC
All of this has me working on my PBR dio again and I gotta say you are not the only one having trouble with sandbags. Some of the ones I made ( I have been told) out of miliput , resemble pinto beans. I think that it is an exaggeration, but they really do need a little something done to them. To me, your sandbags don't really look all that bad. Some of the bags that I made from Testors putty, painted up shinny. The oil seeping through I guess, so I have painted over with sealer primer and will try again. Some of my bags are green and some are burlap. Not unusual since troops most often use whatever they can get a hold of at the time. I like all the pieces of your dio, but to me it would look much better if you would loose the APC and the jeep. Although you did a nice job, to me , it all looks too busy for such a small area. Maybe loose the APC (What would an APC be doing so close to a boat dock anyway) and maybe change the jeep to one with a 50 cal on it. Just my opinion and for what it's worth maybe that's no better than my pinto bean sandbags......... .......Al
DogEgg
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 341 posts
Armorama: 293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 09:06 PM UTC
Actually, there are lots of pictures with green nylon sandbags in Vietnam...
hm_pereira
Visit this Community
Portugal
KitMaker: 41 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 11:05 PM UTC
Hello Mr. Thienan
Your diorama is very good. Congratulations. The mutt o people said is a different version. In Vietnam they used M151A1 and yoyr is the M151A2. But for me, the most important think is your cocept, and I like it very much. Congratulations....
With best regards
Hugo Pereira
andy5582
Visit this Community
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 02:35 AM UTC
Thanks all !!!!
sfctur1
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 643 posts
Armorama: 497 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 07:44 AM UTC
Nice looking diorama. Good layout, with all the different vehicles and PBR.
Where did you get the gaurd tower?
Tom
exit263
Visit this Community
Brunei
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 08:58 PM UTC
hi guys .. im new here. just wondering how do you guys colored the water? Im using Woodland scenics. Do advice.
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 09:38 PM UTC

A lot of talent there!
Apart from small inconsistencies, the dio is well executed and looks great.

The water effect is particularly stunning!! Well done!!!

Congrats and thanks for sharing! I would second requests for close-up pictures though!

Cheers

Romain

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 04:11 AM UTC
Nice looking build. What's the gremlin on the mooring?

With all the troops on the port side the boat would be listing more me thinks.

Fine setting and arrangement of the figs.

Thanks for sharing.

Al
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 04:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hi guys .. im new here. just wondering how do you guys colored the water? Im using Woodland scenics. Do advice.

You can mix acylic paint into the Woodland Scenics Water before it cures.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 04:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

With all the troops on the port side the boat would be listing more me thinks.

I like it. I don't pretend to know which vehicle was used when, but I do like the balance provided with the two different sized vehicles next to the PBR. If anything I'd lose the horse jump - I doubt it would stop much.
The groundwork looks nice, especially the water. Perhaps someday you could replace the lichen.
As for the comment about the boat listing, that was my thought as well, until I noticed the two fuel barrels. At nearly seven and a half pounds per gallon, that would offset the dudes a bit. are they lashed into the corner somehow? Be a b!+ch to hit a wake and have them slide across the deck.
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Armorama: 994 posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 06:49 AM UTC
You saw that too Alan.
"Death in the john." The colors man..............LOL.
All kidding aside, that would freak me out if I say that on the dock before a mission. Real or imagined.

It also looked like the fig. lying down on the deck wasn't paint there for a minute. Had to do a double take on that. Light play with that I think.

Good build.
See ya in the funnies................
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 - 07:49 AM UTC
Simply great. Love the boat and the water display
 _GOTOTOP