Nice job. Really well done.
Bart
Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 731 posts
Armorama: 711 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 11:41 AM UTC
Nice work Bruce. I like the layout and concept. I always enjoy watching your Dio builds. Waiting for the next one!
meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 786 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 03:22 AM UTC
thanks everyone for the kind words, though a tiny scene it was still an interesting challenge to put it together. looking forward to following all your projects as well. cheers, bd.
VLADPANZER
Visit this Community
Lebanon
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 03:34 AM UTC
Hi Bruce,

Excellent, just excellent! A job well done, with such a small project you have raised and fulfilled great expectations.
Can’t wait to see the next project.

Best Regards
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 03:36 AM UTC
Looks nice. I lik ethe idea of the wounded guy behind the wall. It explains well why the scene is happening. Good job.
meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 08:16 AM UTC
thanks once again guys. i thought the idea of the British soldier defending his wounded comrade would be an interesting scene. being only one versus one seemed to add to the drama even though the British fellow appears to have the drop on his adversary.

not all battles were fought with huge divisions, some were mano-a-mano with the stakes being all or nothing. cheers, bd.
REMEARMR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 443 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 08:30 AM UTC
Mate ,
This is a very good dio, the Tilly looks great and it manages to tell a story, and what I think is more important you wonder what will happen next. Will he hope the german walks away or will he make the first move to be sure of the kill?
The only constructive criticism I have (which I am nowhere near qualified to make given your skill) is the way the german is holding his rifle. These things were heavy and i think it would have hung in a more vertical position. I wait with anticipation for your next build, i like seeing them from start to finish.
Congrats

robbo
meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 10:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the way the german is holding his rifle. These things were heavy and i think it would have hung in a more vertical position.

yes, indeed Robbo, the gun is one of many things that went sideways on me with the figures for this scene.

first the good: this was my first attempt at painting the figures in acrylic, doing the highlight and shadows of the clothing/gear too which i have always done in oils or enamels before (i did paint the faces with artist oils). i used Vallejo acrylics and this method was not much harder than oil/enamels as i thought it would be. not sure if i will give up on oils and such for acrylics but it's a new technique that i can say i have at least tried.

now the bad: the British soldiers are an old Dragon figure set and they showed it. soft details and almost nonexistent straps, pockets and other things i have gotten used to seeing so that i have some guideline for painting.

the arm sling for the wounded soldier is a tad too large, his chinstrap is too wide and i ended up sculpting his left hand from Milliput as i couldn't get a natural look using one of the 30 hands i have in the spare box. the thumb on this hand broke off twice during assembly requiring a new thumb made each time.

this wounded guy needed lots of putty to get the custom pose using some parts of a kneeling and standing leg set. even more sanding was done as well. tough to see but i scratchbuilt the hobnails, toe and heel taps on his soles following the pattern of a real pair because i thought flat soles looked odd.

the standing British fellow had such soft folds and details i painted him twice going back to square one until i felt i was done.

the German's gun is supposed to have the gun butt against his hip but i couldn't get him to hold the gun with his hand right even though i tested all this before painting. his other hand cupped the headlight so much better before painting and also failed to come together once all was finished. the gunsling should arc to the right more now that i look at it (this i will fix).

i lost the piece for the german rifle breach in the closed position but had one with the breach open which isn't a normal way to carry around a weapon (insert pic of me shaking my head in dismay).

i never posted many pics of the figures because i was playing around with them right up until the very end. sometimes it comes together like a Snap-Tite kit... sometimes it doesn't. i learned something new with the acrylics and practiced my zen-like patience exercises for almost each step of the figures. never felt i would just give up, just had to keep trying my best. bd
bill1
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,938 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 01:27 AM UTC
Yo Bruce,

Stunning work...love the action and feeling in the diorama. The viewer gets atracted to what's gonna happen the next eye blink...nice colors and depth also.

On to the next!

Greetz Nico
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 01:42 AM UTC
Great work Bruce, stunning indeed!
meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 05:09 AM UTC
you guys are the best, thanks for the great encouragement on this project. i am already plugging away at the first model for my next diorama... this one will have as much action portrayed as i can muster: bricks flying, shots fired, the clash of metal on metal, etc... going to really try to push the envelope of my skills to the next level.

cheers, bd.
hedorah59
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 05:53 AM UTC
Very impressive little dio, Bruce! The story is very clearly told, and your work on all of the elements is spectacular.
num2010
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 01:53 PM UTC
Hi Bruce, everything put together very well. I like your dio especially the base or even the figures action/standing position.
Do you mind if I apply your style of dio base to my own?

Thanks for share us your dio.

Num
meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 03:04 PM UTC
it's all about sharing so if you find inspiration from my diorama i would be very pleased to see how you apply it to your projects Num. i would then gain the chance to perhaps learn from your work on how i can improve my own pieces.

i have gotten so much better from those that have shared their techniques so if i can in any way help others i would be simply paying homage to those that have helped me. cheers, bd.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 04:13 PM UTC
Cheers for another job well done and always bringing something positive to this community

Look forward to your next project bud
jhdamico
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 06:43 AM UTC
Hi Bruce,
Congratulations, the results are phenomenal.

Quick question; after you have glued the cork bricks what product have you applied afterwards that lefts a the structure a little white? (Can you describe what steps did you take before painting?)

Best Regards,
Jorge Damico
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 08:17 AM UTC
Bruce,
Nice work on the diorama. It's a nice use of the kit and the base is looks great. I like the film canister idea. The wounded Tommy really sets a mood.

I hate to suggest anything because it implies something is wrong. However, if you ever want to show off the interior and maybe open up the bed I guess a good idea would be to add two or three Germans around it. Maybe one digging around the door. And the rest going through the cargo. It could also add to the desperation of the two British Soldiers
meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 09:13 AM UTC
thanks for the kind comments guys, i'm really pleased you enjoyed this diorama.

to Gab, i thought along the same line as you in having a patrol of Germans in the scene. after some pondering i thought having only one was the best for the size of the base as well as to create the balance between adversaries. having only one British trooper able to fight and having only one target for his immediate threat established focus for the scene.

i thought having too many Germans made the story more about hiding and hoping not to be found whereas having only one stray German made it about whether who would take out whom first.

to Jorge, i used premixed fine grade spackle (lepage brand here in Canada). i have a detailed step-by-step in my very first Armorama Feature that hopefully shows clearly with text and pics how to do the grouting for brick and cobblestone. if you need more info just ask away.

cheers to one and all, bd.
 _GOTOTOP