Leopard lobby
mshackleton
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 559 posts
Armorama: 517 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 - 12:41 AM UTC
Hi everyone
Having established contact and worked with Tamiya last year on a successful project, I'd like to know how much interest there is from the modeling fraternity in the possibility of producing a modern Leopard 1 model and a Leopard 2A4.

I'm not saying I have any influence with my contact at Tamiya, but you know what they say - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Obviously there are existing models out there. Italeri and then Revell have various Leopard 1 models but they date back to the late seventies and, good though they are/were, a modern rendition would be so much better. They all have various inaccuracies which can be addressed in a new kit. Then there is the question of which version should be modelled - the welded turret 1A3/1A4 of the cast-turreted 1A1/1A5?

Hobby Boss have recently attempted a Leopard 2A4 but, like all of their Leo 2s, it leaves a lot to be desired. Tamiya already have a firm base for the earlier version with their 2A5 and 2A6 kits which are some of the best out there of any subject.

I would like to hear sensible arguments as to why these two subjects should be kitted. If I can put together a good case for either or both, maybe I can put some ideas into someones head and start the ball rolling.

Cheers
Michael Shackleton
Leopard 1 Trilogy author
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 - 01:10 AM UTC
Now Mike, surely you mean a Standard Tilly and not one of these armored thingies?
chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 - 01:14 AM UTC
I would have thought it is about time to produce a decent Leo 2A4 .... since the world is full of them !
And if TAMIYA is willing to pull it off, then they shouldn't hesitate any longer.
The prospect of having a good kit of the Leo 2A4 is great news !
And a proper Leo 1A5 for instance, would full fill even my faintest expectations !

Tell them we want them ..... and we want them fast !!!!!

Cheers
Christopher
blabla
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 - 01:51 AM UTC
Hello,

In general I would prefer Leopards which are ready for an REFROGER background.

Concret, Leo 1A3/A4 and Leo 2 which can be coloured in single toned green, so that 2A0-A3:) With other words, the classical Cold War Warriors of the later stage.

Futhermore the Tankograd articles about the REFRGOGERS give a good background and motivation.

For a modern Version of the Leo 1, I would prefer Canadian Versions, which were in use in Afghanistan.

Best regards

Moritz
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 - 03:57 AM UTC
A new tooled 2A4 would be nice. As they have just been deployed to Afghanistan with the prerequisite Canadian modifications.

Vehicles that have actually seen combat seem to be more attractive to buyers, as such the C2 MEXAS surely qualifies as well.

cheers

basiltank
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 - 03:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For a modern Version of the Leo 1, I would prefer Canadian Versions, which were in use in Afghanistan.

Moritz

I second that, It would be awsome to see more Canadian gear out there, esp. the Leo 1 with the MEXAS and all the other addons that were added.
Removed by original poster on 12/10/10 - 16:03:48 (GMT).
ih245dlc
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 70 posts
Armorama: 68 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 - 05:45 AM UTC
I too think that new tooled Leopard 1A3's or C-1's (because I'm trying to build one. lol). As well Leopard 1A5 or C-2 ('cause I want to build one.lol) would be wonderful. I also think it would be great if they could include some of the different detail or upgrade items like thermal optics for the A5/C-2, infra-red spotlights etc. As well many users of the Leopard I had the dozer blades, mine plows, and rollers it would be really nice if these were made in styrene and were a little more readily available instead of having to order everything over the internet. And I love the Leopard I trilogy too, my fiancee bought it for me last year and I've been using it a lot lately for modifying my Tamiya Leopard 1A4 into a C-1. For as little armour modelling as I have done I have usually found the Tamiya kits more of a pleasure to build than some others. I however have been building the Tamiya cast turreted Leopard and have been struggling with the road wheels, however the 1A4 went together flawlessly as well the (rubber-band tracks).
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:00 AM UTC
I'd love to see a Leopard 1 cast turret with the correct turret shape and corrected commander's periscopes in plastic that isn't brittle like the Revell/Italeri kits. It should have the framework to allow the gun to elevate even if it means the mantlet cover would have to be scratchbuilt. It's a tall order but if the addon armor mounts could be separate and then added as needed then great. Essentially a kit that could be used to build all cast turret options excluding the additional parts for Belgian, Canadian and Dutch Leopards. Thanksfully we already have the Canadian parts in resin.

A good Leopard 2(A4) kit with opening drivers hatch, elevating gun, track skirts not molded as part of the hull and fully fleshed out rear bustle/NBC area would be great as well. Hobbyboss got close on this minus the driver's hatch. I suppose parts for the 2A0 exhaust would nice.

Paul
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A new tooled 2A4 would be nice. As they have just been deployed to Afghanistan with the prerequisite Canadian modifications.
Vehicles that have actually seen combat seem to be more attractive to buyers, as such the C2 MEXAS surely qualifies as well.
cheers

I agree. Vehicles that have actually been used combat would be more marketable and easier to do dioramas. Being able to find a lot of reference photos and action-shots would definitely help the selling point.
If I were to give "sensible arguments as to why these two subjects should be kitted" in the manufacturer's point of view, I must argue in marketable money making product points. Instead of some Joe a platic builder crying out "I want one, I want one." These Leo 1 and 2A4 kits need to be versatile enough or inclulde enough parts to give both options of being Canadian version or German version. Such versatility can target both European and North American markets. As to Asian markets- uncertain..
Would these kits make as much money as WWII German kits? Probably not b/c the huge Asian market likes WWII kits. It will be difficult to convince Tamiya or make a sensible and MARKETABLE argument for these kits to Tamiya. Good luck and thanks for asking our inputs.
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,303 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:43 AM UTC
I wholeheartedly agree that most folks are interested in variants that have seen combat. Thus, I would think the best choice(s) would be those from the Canadian army. Could Tamiya do what they have done in other offers, in that they provided enough parts to choose from two or three variants?

blabla
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 - 07:37 AM UTC
Hello,

ok last chance for an Cold War Warrior. What do you think about a Panzer 70??? The Prototype of the Leo II???

http://www.panzerbaer.de/types/bw_kpz_70-a.htm

In the tank museum Munster is one vehicle which can be used as an example!!

Of course, no combat vehicle but very interesting. No paper tank, this tank drove and was tested. Furthermore maybe the interesting design can be an arguement for Euro/North American markets plus the Asian market.

Finally the design of the Typ 90 resulted from the same team which created the Leo 2 and parts from this team were member of the Panzer 70 or MBT 70 project. So we can see a red line of development.

Moritz
2505-Steven
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 57 posts
Armorama: 56 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 - 08:55 AM UTC
Hello Michael and all,
some of you may know that i read all postings in respect to Leopards and I totally agree there is space for a decent Leopard 2A4.
It's used all over the world, presently most of them just have minor amendments and may leave space for the aftermarket manufacturers.
It would really save time to build up a Leopard 2A4 from Tamiya without having to correct or replace parts on the HB or Italeri/Revell kits.
The Leopard 2A4 would also be an interesting subject, becasue Tamiya does not have to make moulds for the wheels, the suspension and the lower hull. It is existing already and the quality is fine!
Of course it would be great to see the Buffel ARV, but cannot imagine that such kit will become a best-seller, it may be too specific.
It would also be great to see a decent Leopard 1. If such kit is cleverly done, it can depict all, from the very first Leopard 1 with casted turret up to the later, uparmoured versions.
Yes, PSM does a nice welded 1A3 turret, so I would prefer to see a cast turret. Also still missing the early Leopard 1 track. Like recently done with the Matilda, Tamiya should do the same with their early Leopard 1. Their Leopard 1A4 may still survive for a while.
I am still crossing my fingers day by day that we will see some decent Leopards of Tamiya.
Anyhow, I am still afraid that as long as even the 25th variant of the Tiger or Panther sells better than Leopards, it may remain a beatiful dream.

Cheers / Stephan
aussiemodeler
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 266 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 01:31 AM UTC
a nice leopard 1 bridge would blow my mind! cheers.
keo
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 613 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 02:17 AM UTC
I would defiantly like to see a Leopard2A4 in Tamiya’s well known quality too.

As for the Leopard 1 I would point at the Leopard 1A5. It’s the most recent used German version; it’s the base for the Canadian version, and can be used too as a base for a Norwegian version. Personally I would prefer one with a welded turret as this is the version used in the Danish forces. But that turret is most likely to come as an after marked kit anyway. But please make an effort on the 105mm gun; we SO NEED a good one.
The main thing regarding the leopard 1 is the hull. Tamiya’s old one is way off and even Italeri/Rewell’s version needs an update. A thorough 21st century version would be so welcome.

I don’t know how big an interest it would be in general but an alternative could be a white UN Leopard1A5 as used by the Danish Army at Tusla in 1994. This was the first time a Leopard tank was involved in a firefight.
Dutch-tanker
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 - 07:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd love to see a Leopard 1 cast turret with the correct turret shape and corrected commander's periscopes in plastic that isn't brittle like the Revell/Italeri kits. It should have the framework to allow the gun to elevate even if it means the mantlet cover would have to be scratchbuilt. It's a tall order but if the addon armor mounts could be separate and then added as needed then great. Essentially a kit that could be used to build all cast turret options excluding the additional parts for Belgian, Canadian and Dutch Leopards. Thanksfully we already have the Canadian parts in resin.

A good Leopard 2(A4) kit with opening drivers hatch, elevating gun, track skirts not molded as part of the hull and fully fleshed out rear bustle/NBC area would be great as well. Hobbyboss got close on this minus the driver's hatch. I suppose parts for the 2A0 exhaust would nice.

Paul

I totaly agree on this one. As a dutch tankbuilder I would prefer the first Leopard 1 version (leopard 1 A1) with the correct toolboxes, MAG MG, smokedischarger, antennamounts and decals. The same for the leopard 1-V and the leopard 2 A4 NL.

How about the Leopard 1 Recovery and Engineer tank? the Bridgelayer, Dachs?

In general I would prefer that Tamiya would concentrate more on modern vehicles, instead of Tiger nr 20, Panther nr 15 and more WW-2 vehicles!

Michael: Thank you very much, and good luck sofar

Peter
 _GOTOTOP