_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Couple of older 1/32 Airfix builds.
crossracer
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 03:21 AM UTC
HI, i wanted to post these pictures of two airfix 1/32 kits i had done a few years ago. They along with all my models were destroyed in a tragic accident about 3 months ago. I am slowely now starting the process of rebuilding my collection, time heals all wounds.

I have to say i love the older 1/32 scale airfix kits. My understanding was that there were 6 kits in total. The Crusader, Grant, Monteys Staff Car, Rommels Grief, the 17 pounder, and one other i cant recall at this time. (Any help here will be gratefully accepted). THe build quality is good, easily as good as late 1970's tamiya. From building both the Grant and the Crusader i have to say i look forward to building them again.

Anyway, i just wanted to post these photos of lots troopers.

Thanks bill

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 03:42 AM UTC
Your kit looks great. I loved the Airfix M3 Lee I found years ago (back when the only Lee was the old Monogram kit). I remember thinking it was heck of a kit, just too bad it was 1/32 and not 1/35. The M3 Lee should be the 6th kit in the line. I have the Airfix book at home and can double check for you. I think the issued some of the old Peerless Max kits in Airfix boxes and called them 1/32 too. Again, I'll check my Airfix book this evening.

I got a builder's kit of the Crusader several years ago (2004?) that was missing the crewmen but otherwise complete. Your build may just motivate me to give it a go. Did you have any issues with the build?

Sorry about your loss of kits.
crossracer
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 04:07 AM UTC

No issues i can recall. Thanks, it was the LEE i couldn't recall, (Darn 42 year old out dated hardware)

Right now i have the crusader in box, two of the griefs, the montys humber. Its the lee's, grant's, and the 17 pounder (which is darn right impossible to find)

They are on my build list, and i think with a little work they can be turned into pretty nice models.

My information was that 1/32 was to be the "correct scale" when Airfix and Monogram introduced their lines. It was tamiya that came out with 1/35 and screwed every thing up. LOL LOL LOL

Bill
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 10:21 AM UTC
Monogram started 1/35 scale before Tamiya. Their original US armor kits (Patton, Weasel, Halftrack, Jeep, deuce, etc.) were 1/35. They went to 1/32 scale to follow Renwal and probably Airfix with their WW2 German kits and their M3/M4 series before the gave up.

I checked my book, and there are only the 6 kits. It does talk about reboxing the Peerles Max Patton Staff car among others that were really 1/35 and sneaked in as "1/32".

When searching for the M3 Lee, in addition to the Airfix label, it was also released by a Mexican company called Lodela. Actually, I am not sure if Lodela issued anything other than the M3 Grant that I have.

Too bad you're missing the Lee. I have two Grants (one in Airfix and one in Lodela), but only one Lee. The Lodela Grant is molded in green, but the original Airfix Grant is in tan.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Right now i have the crusader in box, two of the griefs, the montys humber. Its the lee's, grant's, and the 17 pounder (which is darn right impossible to find)

A few years ago, in a Hobby store in the North of Spain, I picked up a couple of the Grants, a Crusader and quite a few sets of Multipose figures (including several sets of Japanese). Coincidentally, a day or so later I was wandering the back streets of a nearby city and looked into a toy store window. Squeezed into the back were a stack of 17 pounders. and 3 Lees. I bought 9 17 pounders. Built one, kept one and sold the rest on E-Bay... I could NOT believe what they were going for.
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 04:54 AM UTC
That towed 17 pdr would be an interesting kit.
 _GOTOTOP