_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
MY IDF M-60
rjc_rbnj
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 71 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 03:05 PM UTC
Here's the Academy M-60 kit I recently finished (oh, and I threw in pics of my M-41 Walker Bulldog while I was at it). The M-41 is the old Tamiya kit.

Comments and feed back welcome....
Rob

IMG_0010

IMG_0006

IMG_0004

IMG_0003

IMG_0011

IMG_0013

IMG_0014

Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,453 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 09:08 PM UTC
Great work. They both look very nice.

- Steve
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 09:44 PM UTC
M41 is very very nice
But M60 is great!

Congrats

(Your builds seem very very clean. Probably you don't like the "hard weathered tanks". that is it?)

cheers
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 09:50 PM UTC
I like that you used a jerry can for the ammo box on the M60. They both look very good. Of course, this is from a WWII addict.
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,069 posts
Armorama: 1,062 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 11:50 PM UTC
I to like your builds but do you have a photo of a real IDF M60 with those dual mounted 50. Cals. I just would love to see the real one as well. I love the clean look of both the M60 and the bulldog.
I hope we bget to see more IDF work from you.
BLACKWATER
Visit this Community
Yunnan, China / 简体
KitMaker: 449 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 02:03 AM UTC
Hi Rob
Thank you for sharing, I like them.
Blackwater
rjc_rbnj
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 03:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I to like your builds but do you have a photo of a real IDF M60 with those dual mounted 50. Cals. I just would love to see the real one as well. I love the clean look of both the M60 and the bulldog.

The only picture I had of the dual .50s with the chopped jerry cans used as ammo cans was from the box art. This kit also came with the KMT mine plow but I'm saving that for "an a-la Yom Kippur War" Syrian T-62.

Glad everyone likes my work....

Rob
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 04:19 AM UTC
Nice clean build Rob! Did you have any fit issues with IDF M-60?
rjc_rbnj
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 05:46 AM UTC
Not one fit issue what so ever, it was pretty much "shake and bake" right out of the box. I would say fit is on par with Tamiya kits.

I did use the AFV Club tracks however there's no slots for the sproket teeth to come through. Since it ddn't look too bad I decided not to attempt to modify the tracks.

You can't go wrong with the Academy M-60. For those that choose to super-detail, there's quite a bit of M-60 aftermarket stuff out there. Other than the tracks this kit was OOTB.

I didn't use the KMT mine roller that came with the kit. Saving that for when I pick up a Trumpeter T-62 or maybe another Tamiya T-55. The T-62 I plan will be Syrian and the T-55 Egyptian. Not sure which one will get the mine roller.

By the way, for those who are interested, here's how I obtain the color modulation:

1. After assembly I prime the kit using the white Tamiya Surfacer out of the spray can. Then correct any imperfections that show up with a fine sponge sander.

2. Paint the entire model acrylic gloss back.

3. Paint the model in the appropriate color (Tamyia is my standard, Polly Scale is second choice) using very thin mists of a 50/50 mix paint to thinner.

4. Mix two or three variations of the basic color with white, buff, and light grey. I thin this to 50/50 again except I use laquer thinner for the variating colors.

5. I hit the "high points" with very thin mists until the desired color variation is reached. (I over do it here since it will get toned down with the wash).

6. Heavily gloss coat the model with Future floor wax.

7. I make a heavy wash of burnt umber, raw umber, burnt sienna, or raw sienna with turrpenoid and using a wide brush cover the entire model. Again, the wash will look very much over done.

8. I let the heavy wash set up for a few hours or sometime overnight. I then very lightly dampen a wide brush with turpentin and remove the excess dark wash. Make sure to clean the brush off with a paper towel after each "sweep".

9. I do a pin wash for any "special areas" that may require a more rusty, oily, etc.. finish.

10. Flatten the finish with Testors Dullcoate.

11. I dry bush any raised areas to bring out more depth. I usually take the base color and lighten it a bit more for the dry brushing. I also use some Dr. Brigadoon's pigments to create dust, mud, rust, etc.

12. Repeat Step 10

13. I use a silver pencil to highlight. I also use a silver pastel for areas that need to show much more exposed metal.

14. Admire work.

Rob

Rob
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,096 posts
Armorama: 1,983 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 05:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I may have a pic of that??? I will have a look for you.

Very nice builds well done.
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,096 posts
Armorama: 1,983 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 06:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That was lucky first book i picked up . This is the best i can do someone else is bound to have a better pic?
rjc_rbnj
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 09:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I threw out the box but did save the side panel to use as a reference for when I build the KMT mine roller. You can increase the size of the fotos from the side of box and see the dual 50s.

m-60002
rjc_rbnj
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 10:08 AM UTC
Another IDF piece I did. The IDF turned over these Ti-67s to the South Lebanon Army in the early/mid 1980s.

Did make one mistake, the engine deck is on backwards. Going to have to pry it off and remount properly.

IMG_0003

IMG_0001

IMG_0004
glock17c
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 130 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 11:52 PM UTC
Dear Rob,

Your model is very nice indeed.

There is a slight mismatch in your model.
- If it is the tank that have the dual /50 Cal, and have the original bowed turret basket, than it is the M60A1E2 Magach 6B in early 80's, especialy during the Peace for Galilee operation. Ten, the thermal sleeve cannot be used, and the T97 track should be replaced by the T142 tracks with the pads.

If it the tank with the Thermal sleeve on the main gun, it is though the Magach 6B Gal with the new FCS. In this case the US original basket in the rear of the turret should be scratbuilt into a large rectangular basket. 2 masts should be positioned in the rear roof of the turret for laser detector and cross wind sensor. Tracks can be either T142 or Merkava 2. Wheels mostly used were the M48 all metal , although the Aluminum (with ribs) are also acceptable.
The gunner's sight housing infront of the cupola, should be added, replacing the small housing.

I know it is too late, but good to know for the future.

best regards
Michael
 _GOTOTOP