_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Like the 600lb Gorilla - it was bound to come
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 11:47 AM UTC
Yep, as predicted, Dragon have announced their Sherman Jumbo.

So, is it a spoiler (following Tasca's announcement) ?

Will it beat Tasca's offering hollow? Or is this simply a device to stop pre-orders of what will probably (if previous releases be anything to go by) a better model?

Well, all these will be answered soon, meanwhile, the Box-art:

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 02:08 PM UTC
If they are smart, one issues the kit as a 75mm and the other as a 76mm, fanatics buy both, then issue the one that company didn't issue at first.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 02:10 PM UTC
I'm sure it will be up to Dragon's usual standards. I would have gone for a late M4A3 75.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 10:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If they are smart, one issues the kit as a 75mm and the other as a 76mm, fanatics buy both, then issue the one that company didn't issue at first.

The only problem for DMl is that Tasca will offer their one as both the 75 and 76 armed version in the one box. It is quite possible that DML will follow suit but only time will tell.
Love the artwork.
HermannWMLi
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 92 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 11:52 PM UTC
The RSO in the background will follow next ?

Regards,

Li
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 12:53 AM UTC
When it rains it pours... I wouldn't think it's a spoiler, as commiting an artist like Ron Volstad just for a spoiler seems a bit expensive...

I'm certainly looking forward to both kits and the contents, price and availability will determine my choice.

Cheers!
Stefan
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 02:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The only problem for DMl is that Tasca will offer their one as both the 75 and 76 armed version in the one box. It is quite possible that DML will follow suit but only time will tell.
Love the artwork.

Then it just becomes one of two issues; price point (if that matters to budget conscious consumers) and quality (is one preferable to the other).
rolf
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 10:49 AM UTC
Well being that it is a "2 in 1" I'm guessing it will be both 75mm and 76mm versions. It won't matter if Tasca does a "2 in 1" or not because basing off their previous releases the gun barrels will be two piece affairs(which nobody likes) so you will still be buying an AM barrel. Just pick which one you want. One thing about Dragon, their gun barrels are for the most part pretty sweet, even the plastic ones. As for being a spoiler, isn't it funny how only Dragon catches this much hell for announcing/releasing something after some one else has. Me, I'm for all releases. Keep them coming.

Roy
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 08:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As for being a spoiler, isn't it funny how only Dragon catches this much hell for announcing/releasing something after some one else has. Me, I'm for all releases.

Well, they have such a history of 'spoilers', so for may of us its like the boy who cried wolf. One gets so accustomed to this that you just expect the worse...

People like Al Bowie have been around long enough to get the little warning bell. When DML release the Artwork for a release (and not the full bells & whistles CAD drawings etc.) it does look like a reaction to another manufacturer. We saw it with the Sd.Kfz 7, the Stryker (remember that ONE?) and a good number of Shermans,

Personally, i've no doubt that DML will do a GREAT model, but it'd have been nice if they announced ANOTHER great model. The market doesn't IMO, need TWO Jumbos...
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 11:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

As for being a spoiler, isn't it funny how only Dragon catches this much hell for announcing/releasing something after some one else has. Me, I'm for all releases.

Well, they have such a history of 'spoilers', so for may of us its like the boy who cried wolf. One gets so accustomed to this that you just expect the worse...

People like Al Bowie have been around long enough to get the little warning bell. When DML release the Artwork for a release (and not the full bells & whistles CAD drawings etc.) it does look like a reaction to another manufacturer. We saw it with the Sd.Kfz 7, the Stryker (remember that ONE?) and a good number of Shermans,

Personally, i've no doubt that DML will do a GREAT model, but it'd have been nice if they announced ANOTHER great model. The market doesn't IMO, need TWO Jumbos...

Personally, I like Dragon's Shermans, and don't like Tasca's fiddly, over-engineered suspension with the little foam rubber inserts. It's a pain the backside to assemble. And I'm not crazy about Tasca's very high prices, especially as no interior detail whatsoever is provided at that price point. I'll buy Dragon's Jumbo any day. I'd only consider Tasca's if it was on sale at a drastic discount.
As for the timing, I've said many times that Dragon would release a Jumbo as soon as they knew Tasca had one on the way, and I suspect all the research was done ages ago.
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2010 - 04:17 AM UTC
Choice can only help keep prices from going crazy, especially since MSRP is largely a guidiline to most retailers. I say: Bring it!
KenLawrence
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2010 - 05:30 AM UTC
We are the Tasca distributor for the U.S. Our retail price for the new Tasca "Jumbo" (Ta 35-021) is $61.95. The new M4A1 (late production) with hedgerow cutter and other additional parts is also $61.95(TA 35-022). This will be coming in with the Jumbo next month. All other Tasca kits are $43-60 from us.

We have the EZ 8 (TA 35-020) in stock for $59.95. You can see all the Tasca items we stock at: www.pacmodels.com and contact us at: [email protected]. Thanks and

Best Regards,

Ken Lawrence
Pacific Coast Models, Inc.

Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,141 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2010 - 09:25 AM UTC
The lizard's Jumbo is already shipping out to dealer's as my LHS told me that he received his shipping confirmation from lizardUSA today.

They've obviously been sitting on this for quite sometime and were waiting for the "right" moment.

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures
Toadman's Place
 _GOTOTOP