_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Applying Zimmerit
rosedale73
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 11:05 PM UTC
What is the best glue for applying Eduard brass PE for zimmerit? I am using this for the first time and I have used Humbrol and Revell CA. The bass at first seems to adhere OK, but as I am wrking on the model I have on more than one occasion caught my finger nail on a corner of the brass or been woking the edge with a file and it has just popped off.

I am really tempted to use super glue!?!!
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 11:56 PM UTC
Hi. In my opinion super glue is the only way to go in attaching any type of PE or resin to plastic as it holds just about anything together, as long as you don't get too much of it on in one place. The glue I use is medium setting, so it does give you time to position the part before it sets up. And it is also thicker than the fast-setting type as well. I just put a drop or so on the area of the model I'm mounting the Zimmerit on and spread it out real well with an old leather sewing needle so there are no 'blobs' of it just waiting to come out the sides and onto your fingers. I push it down real good once it's positioned the way I want it, and after it's dry go back and check all the edges to be sure they are all stuck down real tight.

Not having worked with the metal Zimmerit kits before I can only base my experience on the resin kits from Cavalier and Atak. On these I use the Zap-A-Gap CA+ by Pacer. On these kits it says to rough up the surface just a bit on both the kit and the Zimmerit part to give the two some 'bite' befor glueing them together. Check the instuctions on the Eduar brass and they may tell you to do the same.

Good luck and take care. sgirty
rosedale73
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 48 posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2003 - 08:06 AM UTC
Yep, brush on super glue did the trick!
 _GOTOTOP