Hosted by Darren Baker
ASLAV-25 Phase 3 with Turret Bar Armor
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,135 posts
Armorama: 1,030 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 09:33 PM UTC
I couldn't help but start my long awaited build of my Trumpeter ASLAV-25 with Arms Corps Model's conversion set. Needless to say I thought and still believe my skills aren't up to the challenge, but thus far, ACM has made it so that the vehicle essentially puts itself together with minimal clean up and very clear instructions.

I first began my removing everything from the hull of the trumpeter kit and made sure everything was sanded smooth. I know I skipped filling of the holes, but I wanted to cut out the engine grills so that I could mask and add the anitslip coating. This was accomplished using Rustoleum's Terra Cotta and masking was done using blue painters tape and a liquid mask.

While the textured paint dried I began work on the suspension as it did not require any modifications except a small modification used to turn the front wheels. I did not finish the suspension simply because I hate this step and decided with all the work I did today I am satisfied and will return to it tomorrow in full swing and see where the day takes me on my build.

As with all my builds I couldn't help but mock things up with tape and gravity and see how things are starting to shape up. So here are some mock up photos and I will post more progress shots tomorrow.

If there are any comments or questions, feel free to make them known, especially all you Aussies

Well until tomorrow!

Thanks for looking
Sean
sam_dwyer
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 294 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 09:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If there are any comments or questions, feel free to make them known, especially all you Aussies

Well until tomorrow!

Thanks for looking
Sean

Great start Sean.

The non skid I always find to be a royal pain in the ass, I too like to get it out of the way early.

Have you picked a vehicle to depict yet, or are you going for a generic one?

Sam
Anirudharun
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 597 posts
Armorama: 530 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 11:04 PM UTC
Nice work Sean, its good to see another ASLAV in the works. The no-slip coating looks great, just a pity I can't find that stuff here in the UK

I'm also building one using the Trumpy kit and a few scratchbuilt improvements, oh and partial interior.

Looking forward to seeing more!
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 01:54 AM UTC
Nice job on the non-skid.

Looking forward to your updates!

cheers
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 09:41 PM UTC
So today's update is more like a disaster. I was attempting to attach the plate on the front underside of the hull when i believe i had some overspray from super glue accelerator on the resin part and needless to say, the part got stuck in the wrong place. When attempting to remove it, this is what happened

SO I messaged Jason to see if I can purchase a replacement ASAP or I will have to try to manually repair that part and full in the gap with sheet plastic or putty. We'll see what happens. If anyone can offer up some other suggestions it would be highly appreciated

On the flip side, Sam asked me what car I planned to build. I planned to do Choice Bro which can be seen here in the first picture. I believe the second picture is of it as well but I'm not entirely sure. If anyone can confirm that, that would be amazing.

Thats it for now, sleep for me because working on it any further will lead to more frustration and potentially more disaster.

Lesson 1 in modeling....PATIENCE

Thanks for looking!

Sean
Anirudharun
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 597 posts
Armorama: 530 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 09:55 PM UTC
Sorry t hear about the accident Sean, but it should be an easy fix. I suggest using some plastic card glued behind the piece to cover the hole, and then some filler to give a flat surface.

Another possibility is using the kit supplied piece, or is this inaccurate?
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 10:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry t hear about the accident Sean, but it should be an easy fix. I suggest using some plastic card glued behind the piece to cover the hole, and then some filler to give a flat surface.

The kit piece is inaccurate for my vehicle but before I go to sleep, I had to give it another go and success! Now to let the putty throughly dry overnight and sand in the AM.

So until tomorrow!

Sean

jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,016 posts
Armorama: 745 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 10:21 PM UTC
PM sent mate.
Also, remember this thread?
http://armorama.com/forums/154913&page=1&ord=1
That has got your car in it.

Cheers Jason
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 03:09 PM UTC
Today's update:

So I tried to resolve the issue of the torn plate and it didn't work out so well. The putty lacked the strength to hold the shape of the plate, and thanks to the excellent customer service of Arms Corps Models, a replacement part is on the way from down under.

Today I still managed to trudge on, and with this being my first big resin conversion I made sure to take my time unlike yesterday. I managed to finish the right side of the vehicle and will move onto the left tomorrow. So far so good and looking to finish the hull itself next week.

Also, I must have cut out too much material from the original part grill and I had a nasty 1 mm gap over the engine hatch, so using some 1mm x 1mm strip styrene I was able to close it pretty tight to a very reasonable amount. From this point on, all the fit issues began to surface, mainly when attaching the rear to the hull of the vehicle. After a bunch of sanding and puttying, I was able to get it nice and smooth and finished up my work on this beast today.

Nowwww I am moving on to my LAV-A2, so I guess the LAV work continues.

As usual, thanks for looking! Until tomorrow!

Sean
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 02:22 AM UTC
Good work, keep it up!

cheers
sam_dwyer
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 294 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 08:00 AM UTC
Hi Sean,

I've had a look through my HD and found this shot of Choice Bro

There are a series of photos with the ASLAV I did (Beowulf) and your car was in the background of one of the shots.

Also, I had a look back through the Military Briefs book, I think on P96 there might be a shot of the vehicle at another time. If the ARN is 16024, then it might be the middle shot on that page - SECDET 1 in 2003!

Im sure Jason will be able to fill you in more on the ARN etc and supply you with more info.

Hope this helps

SD
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 08:40 AM UTC
Thanks for the additional info Sam. Im taking a short break from it to start my LAV-A2 but will return to it shortly.I need to purchase the decals but only if it looks as if I will be painting it.

Also, I will continue my Aussie stint and be building an Aussie Abrams as well so look out for that in the future
hliu24
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 798 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 05:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The kit piece is inaccurate for my vehicle but before I go to sleep, I had to give it another go and success! Now to let the putty throughly dry overnight and sand in the AM.

So until tomorrow!

Sean

Good work, it even Looked better!!!!
 _GOTOTOP