_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Ranger M3 GMC - What is this?
mopnglo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 452 posts
Armorama: 271 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 05:30 AM UTC
I'm building one of the M3 75mm GMCs used by the Rangers in Italy. Can someone help me figure out what the circled object is in this photo? Thanks for your help!
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 05:51 AM UTC
Michael,

it looks like it could be a MG Mount, maybe field installed, similiar to this one on a M151A2 Mutt (images from Prime Portal):

tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 06:15 AM UTC
For sure? Dunno.

As a guess, it looks like a cut down MG pintle mount. It _could_ be a wire breaker (not cutter) due to the open cab, but it does remind me of a style of Jeep MG mount I've seen somewhere.

That's all I got.

Paul
mopnglo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 06:42 AM UTC
The first thing I though was a field installed MG mount, but it seems like an odd place. I guess there aren't a lot of options when trying to mount an MG on the front of a halftrack, though. I hadn't thought about a wire breaker.
CDK
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 358 posts
Armorama: 339 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 07:08 AM UTC
It's a machine gun mount for the commander and is easily accessible from his side of the cab due to the lack of windshield in the GMC.

There are better views of it in other pictures of this vehicle but it is in fact, a field made MG mount.

HTH
mopnglo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 07:13 AM UTC
Thanks, Ken! I was reading you blog just last week. Do you know where I can access the photos? The only pictures I can find are those provided on the Archer Fine Transfers website.
CDK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 07:26 AM UTC
Michael,

the photos you see on the Archer site were once hosted on the LIFE website along with a few others but they have since been taken down for some reason or another, perhaps the original photographer/or his family chose to have them removed? It has happened before to LIFE photo links

When I researched that transfer set for Woody, those were the only photos I had managed to salvage, while I do have much larger versions of those on my hard drive, I don't have the photos of the mounted .30 caliber MG .

There are also additional photos in some books, namely LIFE: The Italian Campaign, but I don't recall if the photos in question are there or not as it has been a while since I saw that particular book.

If you return to the Archer site and look at the photos of the other M3 GMC (Marines Bougainville) I researched for Woody, you can see a similar field mounted MG pintel on the hood in almost the same exact spot, it seems a fairly common alteration done to this variant probably due to the lack of factory installed armament.
mopnglo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 07:48 AM UTC
Very cool, Ken! I didn't realize you were the researcher for the transfer set (I see your name in the credits now). This is my first time using dry transfers, so I'm excited to try them out.

The photos of the MG mount on the Marine M3 GMC are very clear - thanks! I do appreciate the knowledge!
CDK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 07:57 AM UTC
No worries, glad to help.

I will say that the size of the text for the fender markings is a bit too large, something that got missed in the creating process but became apparent when placed on the actual fenders. I'm not sure what happened but hopefully this can be addressed for future sets.

Dry transfers can be fidgety for the first time, (heck, I still have the occasional problem) but for really tough placement, I have some clear decal sheet that I apply them to and then just use them like a water slide decal, that is always an option if they give you trouble.

mopnglo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 08:08 AM UTC
Good to know about the fender markings. I picked up some other transfer sets from Archer when I got the M3 set, so I'm planning to practice a bit before I really get started. I'll try out the wet application as well.

I'm glad to find your Youtube channel - some really great stuff!

Thanks again for your help!
 _GOTOTOP