_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Contests
This group is home to our various contests, promotions and drawings.
Hosted by Darren Baker
DMOM Rule 2012
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 01:40 AM UTC
This is a link to the rules for the Model of the month contest, please take a moment to read through them before submitting your entry.

Please take special note of the criteria of the information we require with your entry as entries with out this will not be entered until it is received.

We have updated some of the rules with a new contest in December 2011 for the Model of the year, made up from the 4 top voted models from the previous January 2011 to November 2011.

I have also updated the rules regarding bases and figures. I will be being a lot more strict with these rules this year, so please try and follow them as I really don't want to disappoint members for not following them.

Link to Item

other than that I hope you all have a fantastic Plastic and resin filled year in 2011

Good luck and Happy modelling

The Armorama Staff
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 02:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

2. The photos should be of a single afv-related model, simple display bases or bases with groundwork or simple structures are allowed No dioramas please. Figures will be allowed but must only be a single figure / crew either on the vehicle or on the base.Models with more than One figure will be unable to enter and classed as Dioramas

So if there are two figures in a turret it's a diorama?

cheers
docdios
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 02:59 AM UTC
Hi rick

under these rules yes , what i am saying is I will allow a single figure for scale purposes, whether its on or in the vehicle, or standing by the side as long as their is only one then the model complies with the rules. This I feel is a fair compromise should you wish to add a figure.

You don't have to add any but that's your choice

HTH

Keith
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 07:21 AM UTC
If the model image supplied for the competition complies with the rules, can the 10-15 extra images have further details?

What I mean is ... Modeller A has a dio or vignetter underway. Simple base including structure as per rules. The plan is to have 2 or more figures. Image #1 has one figure for the competition as the rules dictate and is the voting option, but the extra photos have the full details as per the original plan. Personally id rather build with the idea in my head rather than be confined to competition rules. This way would mean the model would comply to rules, but the on display (should it be used) would have the complete scene/idea.
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 1,709 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 08:05 AM UTC
I agree with figure limitations, moreover I would use models without any vignettes or groundwork...
docdios
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 08:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If the model image supplied for the competition complies with the rules, can the 10-15 extra images have further details?

What I mean is ... Modeller A has a dio or vignetter underway. Simple base including structure as per rules. The plan is to have 2 or more figures. Image #1 has one figure for the competition as the rules dictate and is the voting option, but the extra photos have the full details as per the original plan. Personally id rather build with the idea in my head rather than be confined to competition rules. This way would mean the model would comply to rules, but the on display (should it be used) would have the complete scene/idea.

Hi Frank

you are correct, the rest of the pictures can have as much details and figures in as planned by the modeller, (as we all want to see the finished model when shown in a On display as the modeller intended) but the one picture that is to be used as entry into the contest must only contain a single figure.

cheers

keith
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 09:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I agree with figure limitations, moreover I would use models without any vignettes or groundwork...

I agree, the old rules from a few years back stated NO groundwork, just simple wooden bases if at all. It's much easier to exclude all entries with groundwork then to pick and choose who can enter and who can't.

Just saying

cheers
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,406 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 09:36 AM UTC
A picture question.

Entries like these will still be allowed?

simple base or dio?

thank you for your answer

spit
docdios
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 10:13 AM UTC
Hi Pawel

yes they would be acceptable

problem is Rick, i am receiving more entries on scenic bases with out which the contest may not run some months,

Keith
emroglan
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 10:17 AM UTC
I have stated my opinion before and I strongly support it still... I think NO groundwork should be allowed, as any groundwork will provide extra benefit for the model it's displayed with.

For example, take that Challenger and take photos simply with a white background. It won't look as good as it does on that base. Same goes for the Opel... with the groundwork, it would look better and more complete compared to a stand-alone model. A tank moving through a part of town is more diorama compared to a tank having two figures on its turret.
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 10:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have stated my opinion before and I strongly support it still... I think NO groundwork should be allowed, as any groundwork will provide extra benefit for the model it's displayed with.

For example, take that Challenger and take photos simply with a white background. It won't look as good as it does on that base. Same goes for the Opel... with the groundwork, it would look better and more complete compared to a stand-alone model. A tank moving through a part of town is more diorama compared to a tank having two figures on its turret.

+1

You call those simple bases?

no further comments needed....

Just change the rules and say small dio accepted.

No offence meant

spit
meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 786 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 11:58 AM UTC
i can see the problem with where the line is between simple bases and a full diorama, especially as more submissions are being sent with models glued to very detailed vignettes, i think after a few contests are run and we see what submissions have made it through we will get a better idea of what is acceptable.

i have found it lopsided in some contests when vehicles were shown in elaborate vignettes/dioramas or with a dozen figures displayed sitting on the model. at model shows they would be separated by class so judging would be more fair.

here's a suggestion i would kindly propose:
a bi-annual diorama contest for everyone whose projects are too elaborate for the monthly standalone model contest !!! i see so many great projects i would love to see a class for full on dioramas... and people who are rejected from the DMOM can have an opportunity twice a year to win.

PS: i don't enter any contests as i don't usually go for the competitive side of the hobby and i don't know if i'm even eligible as a Canadian to win but i love seeing the amazing entries.

cheers, bd.

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 02:04 PM UTC
Thanks Keith. My one model a year wont make or break the competition, but Id still like to enter it, but dont feel its right to show it as an on display, incomplete. Same goes for all other models.

I think bases should be allowed because
1) If you have articluted the running gear or wheels to conform to a base, it looks silly with wheels floating without the base it was intended to site on. Same goes if you planned to have the tank busting through a wall .... a tank with a pile of bricks on the front will confuse or be incomplete.
2)The base shows a continuation of the weathering effect on the vehicle. Again a very heavily weathered model sitting on a white background looks like a fish out of water - unnatural
3) its standard practise in competition. In armor categries you can have as many figures as you want and the mother of all bases ... but you wont get any extra points for them. They are not marked.
4) Model quality today is getting better and better, so its becoming more of an assembly process than actual modelling. The real skill is making the plastic model look believeable and lifelike as possible. Having its proper setting helps with this. The two images that Pawel has shown are perfect examples of what I mean.
5) Makes for a much better gallery ... again see the images that Pawel posted!
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 05:11 PM UTC
Allowing only one figure on the kit is kinda silly IMO. If you have a tank with each crew station manned, that doesn't make it a diorama or vignette, least not any contest I have entered.

I would have to agree with the rest about the bases. Wooden plaque, or at the very most a simple road, but beyond that it gets too much into the diorama end of it. At our local show, those 2 kits shown above would be moved to diorama/vignette, and not be allowed to compete in the armor category because of the base they are on, both are well above being considered a "simple" base.

As far as people entering or not entering....99.9% of the time the kit isn't attached to the base...so why would it be so hard to shoot 2-3 pictures of just the vehicle on a plain background and no base? Seems simple to me.
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 12:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

.99.9% of the time the kit isn't attached to the base...so why would it be so hard to shoot 2-3 pictures of just the vehicle on a plain background and no base? Seems simple to me.

that's true, I don't see how armorama staff cold argue with this point.

Let's wait and see...

BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 609 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 01:05 AM UTC
I agree with the concept of limiting entries to simple bases. And no way no how are those two photos above simple bases.
docdios
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 01:08 AM UTC
ok Guys

To make mine and your lives a little easier I have simplified the rules as such

Quoted Text

The photos should be of a single afv-related model against a plain back ground (white or Blue) not attached to any base or with any figures and clearly marked as your entry with the photo titled "Contest Entry (month)" with the month replaced by the name of the month you are entering i.e. January for January etc. The rest of your supporting pictures can show the model as the modeller intends with figures and a base, and even some of the construction should you wish.

This hopefully should make it a fair playing field and be simple enough to follow

cheers

keith
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 01:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

ok Guys

Quoted Text

The photos should be of a single afv-related model against a plain back ground (white or Blue) not attached to any base or with any figures and clearly marked as your entry with the photo titled "Contest Entry (month)" with the month replaced by the name of the month you are entering i.e. January for January etc. The rest of your supporting pictures can show the model as the modeller intends with figures and a base, and even some of the construction should you wish.

This hopefully should make it a fair playing field and be simple enough to follow

cheers

keith

Amen to that

IMHO opening the door for a "simple base" resulted in excesses you could see above.. but that's the past. Thanks!

spit
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 1,709 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 04:25 AM UTC
that's great! (final statement about diorama bases)
meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 786 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 04:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

ok Guys

Quoted Text

cheers

keith

that makes it quite clear and will prevent people from being disqualified for crossing the "simple base to full diorama" line. i look forward to all the fantastic entries for 2011... the voting is getting harder and harder to choose just one. cheers, bd.
emroglan
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 10:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

ok Guys

Quoted Text

cheers

keith

Keith, you have my gratitude. I think this should make things fair and square.
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 01:23 PM UTC
I'm sure it will be better overall. Alot less ambiguity trying to choose between entries.

Thanks Keith!

cheers
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 545 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 03:42 PM UTC
Kieth,
This change was sorely needed. Thank you!

I would like to second the motion of trying to do a diorama/vignette competition once or twice a year. Maybe themed based? Just a thought.
marshaltito
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 10:54 PM UTC
Quick question: I no longer see a beginners contest mentioned in the rules. Has it been eliminated?

-T
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 451 posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 - 09:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

PS ... i don't know if i'm even eligible as a Canadian to win but i love seeing the amazing entries.

Yes, you are.
 _GOTOTOP