_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Painting Tracks, New To Hobby
Rocket94
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 06:15 AM UTC
I am fairly new to the military modelling hobby and am starting my first AFV project. I am building a Panzer IV Ausf E from Dragon. As it is my first project I am building it straight from the box and using the tracks provided with the kit. My question is about painting the tracks. I have consulted several books and some suggest painting the tracks off the vehicle and then installing them afterwords and others suggest painting the entire assembled model at once. I am sure it is a matter of personal preference, but I was just wondering if anyone had some feedback on the pros and cons to either method and perhaps suggestions on which way I should choose to finish my first project. Thanks
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 06:33 AM UTC
First of all, happy new year and welcome to the site Geofry!

Ive never really ever come across one single way of painting tracks-everyone seems to do it different. However if they are individual link tracks then I often tend to give them a blast of metallic color whilst still on the sprue and stick them to the model once the wheels are painted and touch them up.

Another option ive tried is to stick the wheels to the torsion bars with liquid latex so you can pull them off again, then build up the unpainted tracks around the wheels and sprockets, but not sticking them to the wheels. Then once the tracks is complete you can pull it off the model and take the wheels off and paint the track as one complete unit-if that makes any sense...

If they are rubber band tracks then I always find it easier to paint and stick them on last once the model is painted up.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 07:33 AM UTC
Hej Geofry. This question comes up all the time. As Rob says, everybody has their own method. There is no right or wrong, its just what each modeller feels works best and/or easiest for them. Unfortunately, there is no other way than have a go at each to see what works for you. Many take possibly the easier option and go for workable tracks, that can be painted seperatly and placed afterwards. Some make extra steps so they can assemble the tracks in place and remove the built run on one piece, paint and replace.
I fix all wheels in place and then build the tacks around them and cement in place. I first spray the whole running gear, tracks and lower hull with a dirty brown colour. Then i spray the tyres black (no need to worry abot over spray) and last paint the base colour ... including lower hull and wheel hubs. I touch this up with hand painting. When final weathering is complete it hides any imperfections. Any misses and the first drity brown shows and resembles dirt so it looks OK. This work best and easiest for me.
See my blog for some further details. The Assembly
 _GOTOTOP