_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
British Shermans in Europe
RFL101
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 09:33 AM UTC
I`d like to build a British non Firefly type Sherman in Europe in the D Day -Normandy through Market Garden/ end of war period.

Can I use the DML British Sherman Sicily Mk.III #6231 and or the DML Sherman El Alamein ~ Smart Kit #6447. I don`t mind a bit of tinkering with the kits but like to avoid major modifications through resin after market parts ? I prefer to use the DML kits for cost reasons.

I see Bison makes several Decal sheets for the Guards Armored Div. and various independent Armored Brigades with Mk III`s and Mk V`s. All help and advice appreciated.

ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 12:35 PM UTC
Not OOB but yes is the answer to 6231 the Sicily Sherman III. You will need a NWE style turret stowage box and alternative tracks as I have never seen WE 210 in the NWE campaign (possible but highly unlikely). You will also need markings for 27 AB or 8 AB who operated Sherman III's. The independant Brigades didn't use the Mk V except as Fireflies and OP tank for their Artillery Regiments.

For a NWE British Sherman (non Firefly) you have other choices such as:

4 Armd Brigade: M4A1 with a handful of M4 Composite
M4A1 - Mid and late (not large hatch) Tasca or the old DML 6048 kit
M4 Composite - DML

8 AB and 27 AB (only until mid Aug 44) - M4A2 (DV, Welded or Cast Hood Hulls); M4 Composite later in 44
Tasca NWE Sherman III 35-018
DML Sherman III (any of their releases including the DV but you need Stowage boxes and check the tracks (usually t49 or t54)
DML Composite (you will need a Formations mid production LB turret)

33AB - M4 & M4 Composite
DML M4 DV, M4 Normandy - Add stowage boxes
DML Composite (need correct mid LB turret - Formations)

11 AD - M4A4
DML Orange Box 9102
TASCA 35-016

Guards AD - M4A4
DML Orange Box 9102
TASCA 35-016

Bison offer a number of suitable Marking sets and Formations, Ultracast and Resicast all offer Brit Stowage boxes (amongst others).

I recommend the Tasca Shermans where available as superior in Quality, accuracy and fit to the DML kits and well worth the expense. The only better thing DML do is their tracks. They can be found quite cheaply online if you shop carefuly

I recall seeing a DV M4A1 in NWE so I don't recommend the Alamein Sherman for NWE.

I highly recommend finding a copy of Fortins excellent British Tanks in Normandy or Dennis Olivers COncord Title - The British Sherman Tank or the Concord Titles by David Fletcher on British Armour in NWE Vol 1 and two or the Dennis Oliver title of the same name (Vol 1) by concord.

Cheers
Al

martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 11:09 PM UTC
Hey Al got any shots of the M4 composite?

Martyn
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 02:08 AM UTC
If you want a D-Day+ British tank the Tasca Sherman III (#35018) comes with everything you need in one box. I saw pics a while ago of two Sherman IIIs waiting to be loaded for the crossing and they were a perfect match for the kit. It builds up very nicely too.

Price is an issue, so shop around on line.

Tom
RFL101
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 10:27 AM UTC
Hello Al & Tom

Al, thanks very much for an answer that is a wonderful monograph on Brit Shermans in NW Europe in itself. Very thoughtful of you to take the time.

I do have the Vanguard "Sherman Tank in British Service 1942-45" by John Sandars but none of the others, will go after them all since that`s part of the "get it right" fun.

I`ll get the Tasca Sherman V for Guards AD per your advice, and the DML Sherman III for practice ( new to armor guy here )

Can you recommend a source for the DML III extra storage boxes ?

Thanks again.

stufer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 416 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 10:59 AM UTC
hey Richard!

i would go straight to Formations for all your stowage box needs,and any other goodies that you may find whilst on the website!!!

http://www.formationsmodels.com/

you'll also be able to buy Panda Plastics tracklinks for your Shermans,usually T62 for Sherman V,or T49 for the Sherman III

welcome to Shermaholicism!!
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 06:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Can you recommend a source for the DML III extra storage boxes ?

Thanks again.

As said above go to Rob at Formations for the following set(s)

British Sherman Hull and Turret Stowage Boxes -$10

Kit F048

* Includes Highly Detailed M4A4 Rear Hull Stowage Box
* Rear Hull First aid Box
* Rectangular Turret Rear Blanket Box
* Early Crusader Style Turret stowage Box with Detailed Piano Style Hinge
* Enough Boxes to Build Two Shermans

The Panda/RHPS tracks are pretty good too. As for the old Vanguard 15 do NOT trust the colour plate or photo descriptions & information as Mr Sandars has mis Identified many Sherman Models. e.g
Page 7 - Not Sherman I's but Sherman III
page 9 - Again a Sherman III not Sherman 1
Plate B(1) - IS actually a Sherman III as per the DML Sicily kit
Plate B(2) again is a Sherman III
Plate D(2) is a Sherman V not Sherman I
page 26 - Not 100% but I'd say the elderly Sherman is an M4A4 DV and not an M4
page 28 - rear vehicle is actually a VC Firefly

Still that is the book that got me into British Shermans

Good choice with the Tasca Shermans - you will not be dissapointed. The DMLk ones are still excellent kits just not as refined and well done as Tasca. If Tasca weren't around I'd be raving about how good the DML ones are (M4, M4A2 etc).

Martyn here are some shot of the Composites of the Sharpshooters in Normandy (ERY of 33AB)

And a very rare M4 Composite Dozer in Holland of 4 AB (I believe 44 RTR)

CHeers

martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 10:26 PM UTC
Thanks alot Al, my sherman project can now see the light of day!
RFL101
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2011 - 08:12 AM UTC
Just wanted to say that the Tasca V Sherman kit arrived today, looks impressive, and I especially the like the low parts count & instructions compared to those of the DML Mk III Sicily which arrived as well ( and is also very nice IMO and has a formed lower hull piece )

A few newb questions: Should I make a jig to aid in the multi part lower hull assembly of the Tasca kit ?

I`d like to try the Archer resin casting numbers, any references to locations on the V and Mk. III ?

Thanks, and hopefully I can share the progress and questions as I build both.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2011 - 08:30 AM UTC
The Tasca hull pieces will fit together square without any jig. They have excellent fit. That is part of the refinement that was talked about earlier in the thread.
chrisgrove
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2011 - 09:03 AM UTC
Brief comment on the lengthy post with pics four above this one:

The Sharpshooters were not ERY, but CLY (County of London Yeomanry). 3CLY were equipped with Shermans and landed on Sword Beach on D+1. At least some of their vehicles were M4A1.

4CLY landed on D+1 on Gold beach but were equipped with Cromwell. They lost heavily at Villers-Bocage and the two regiments were amalgamated at Carpiquet airfield near Caen at the end of July 1944, to form 3/4CLY which would appear to have been equipped with Shermans and fought on till the end of the war.

HTH

Chris
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2011 - 09:39 AM UTC
His Chris, unforgiveable and I have slapped myself with a large wet fish. I have no idea what I was thinking when I posted that. I am quite aware of the differences but still made the stupid mistake.
As you say 3 CLY landed on 7 June with M4A1's as part of 4AB and served with 4AB till wars end as the second regt of the Bde. The Hull Aos was white 123 on a Red Square with a Black Jerbo on a white circle within a black sqaure (In Italy it was a Black Jerboa on a White Square. The M4A1 used tended to be later (Tasca is perfect) models and some had High Bustle turrets with loaders hatches. Later as 3/4 CLY within 4AB they used spaced Glacis armour on their Shermans and a few pictures of these in Holland and Germany exist. Makes for an interesting and different kit

Thanks for pointing it out Chris, I feel like a right burk
Cheers
Al
 _GOTOTOP