Hosted by Darren Baker
1/72 Sd.Kfz. 7 replacement tracks?
marshaltito
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 03:52 PM UTC
Hi everyone. I need a bit of help with one of the kits I'm building right now. I've got a Revell 1/72 Sd.Kfz. 7/1 on the bench right now and I don't know how I'm going to get these awful vinyl tracks to fit. They're too small!! Every time I try to get them on it bends the halftrack frame. I've tried stretching them over something circular (with a slightly larger diameter) for a week, but they but they just sprang back. The only aftermarket tracks I was able to find were these:
http://tracks-n-troops.eu/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_10&products_id=2177

Anyone know of any others? I'm not too worried about accuracy or anything, I just want something workable.

Also, tangentially, I have another Revell Sdkfz 7/1 and an old AHM Sdkfz 7/1 ©1974. Guess what, they're identical, EXCEPT that the Revell kit's deck plate has "Hasegawa" stamped into it... Because I'm new here, can somebody explain this? How do companies rebox things like that? Did Hasegawa just buy the molds from AHM and then sell them off to Revell?

Thanks.

-T
marshaltito
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 04:58 PM UTC
Sorry. To be clear - those things are a little on the expensive side to fix up a kit I got for $5 (not to mention 3 of them). I was hoping for a cheaper alternative... I also know nothing about the quality of those.
DavidOBarr
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 05:15 PM UTC
Hello,

A company named Volkspanzer makes a very nice set of resin tracks for the Sdkfz 7. I have used them and they are excellent. He sells on Ebay under the name "conversionkitmaster" I think I paid $5.00 US for a couple of sets plus shipping.
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 06:10 PM UTC
Looks like David's proposition is your best shot. Can't imagine anything cheaper than that.

Also the latest Famo from Trumpeter(# 7252) has 2 sets of tracks in the box, (one vinyl and one plastic link-by-link).
If you plan to make a Famo in the future, you can buy it and solve your problem for one of your older kits.
The same applies for model Trumpeter 7253.

Note--- From what I've seen the Famo and sdkfz 7 use the same tracks but I cannot verify historically.

P.A.
Rob_Haelterman
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 145 posts
Armorama: 139 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 07:45 PM UTC
Sorry to spoil the party, but the SdKfz7 had 36cm wide tracks and those of the SdKfz9 (Famo) were 44cm wide. This would be noticeable, but I don't know how accurate the tracks of the Trumpeter kit are.

I am afraid that for the time being the set you mention is the only game in town.

FYI, tracks of the SdKfz251 or Sd.Kfz 11 were 280mm and those of the Sd.Kfz.10 and Sd.Kfz.250 were 240mm in width.

About your question regarding reboxing: this is quite common in FAV and aviation modeling.
Revell has some old Hasegawa kits in their catalogue (and some from Matchbox), while other brands sometimes share molds too.

HTH
Rob
Hut
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
KitMaker: 285 posts
Armorama: 238 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 11:30 PM UTC
Hi,

Rob has a point of course when it comes to accuracy.
But I was looking for an easy/cheap solution to this problem myself and the difference in track width in 1/72 is about 1mm. Although noticeable and inaccurate, it may still be a big improvement over what hasegawa passes off as tracks, it may be worth a try.

Rob: Thank you for the track width figures, very handy to have.

Regards,
Pascal
marshaltito
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 03:36 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I looked up the Volkspanzer on eBay and I also found the following page with information on them - including an e-mail address.
http://ww2militaryminiatures.com/main/page_reviews_volkspanzer.html
If you google "volkspanzer models" you'll get plenty of hits of people looking for them or reviewing them.

For those of us who haven't yet risen to the heights of historical accuracy that many have (and we will, one day), the Famo could work. In any case, I'll post if I get a response from Volkspanzer, as a couple of the things I read indicated that they had shut down.
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 04:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry to spoil the party, but the SdKfz7 had 36cm wide tracks and those of the SdKfz9 (Famo) were 44cm wide. This would be noticeable, but I don't know how accurate the tracks of the Trumpeter kit are.

Valuable information Rob, thanks. Since I have both kits in my stash, I did bother to do some measurements.

Turns out that Trumpeter's tracks are 6.06mm wide and Hasegawas 5.98mm.

In 1/1 scale this will give 43.6 cm for Trumpeter and 43.05 for the Hasegawa.
Conclusion: Trumpeter's tracks are correct 100% while Hasegawa's besides everything else they come wider from the real thing.

P.A.
Rob_Haelterman
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 145 posts
Armorama: 139 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 07:07 AM UTC
You're welcome guys.

As my list was not complete, and you appear to be interested, here are all of them:

Sd.Kfz.10 1ton / Sd.Kfz.250
240mm

Sd.Kfz.11 3ton / Sd.Kfz.251
280mm

Sd.Kfz.6 5ton
320mm

Sd.Kfz.7 8ton
360mm

Sd.Kfz.8 12ton
400mm

Sd.Kfz.9 18ton
440mm

HTH
Rob
FuNsTeR
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 243 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 11:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi everyone. I need a bit of help with one of the kits I'm building right now. I've got a Revell 1/72 Sd.Kfz. 7/1 on the bench right now and I don't know how I'm going to get these awful vinyl tracks to fit. They're too small!! Every time I try to get them on it bends the halftrack frame. I've tried stretching them over something circular (with a slightly larger diameter) for a week, but they but they just sprang back. The only aftermarket tracks I was able to find were these:
http://tracks-n-troops.eu/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_10&products_id=2177

Anyone know of any others? I'm not too worried about accuracy or anything, I just want something workable.

Also, tangentially, I have another Revell Sdkfz 7/1 and an old AHM Sdkfz 7/1 ©1974. Guess what, they're identical, EXCEPT that the Revell kit's deck plate has "Hasegawa" stamped into it... Because I'm new here, can somebody explain this? How do companies rebox things like that? Did Hasegawa just buy the molds from AHM and then sell them off to Revell?

Thanks.

-T

i would just wait 2 or 3 months because Maco will be bringing out new SdKfz7 mould with bendable plastic tracks which work a treat
Hut
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
KitMaker: 285 posts
Armorama: 238 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 06:57 PM UTC
Hi,

That is good news. Maco doing a Sd Kfz 7 is probably a good answer to all kinds of inaccuracies in the hasagawa kit.

And Rob, thanks again for the list.

Regards,
Pascal
FuNsTeR
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 12:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,

That is good news. Maco doing a Sd Kfz 7 is probably a good answer to all kinds of inaccuracies in the hasagawa kit.

And Rob, thanks again for the list.

Regards,
Pascal

here is some test shots of a early prototype

marshaltito
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 12:52 PM UTC
Brad, those embedded images appear broken from my end...

While I'm sure the Maco SdKfz 7 will be spectacular (judging by photos of the other Maco kits), it won't solve my problem of having three kits sans usable tracks unless they offer the plastic dream tracks as an individual release - do you know how likely that is?

Also, Volkspanzer got back to me about the tracks. $5/set. I also asked about the armored cab conversion which is apparently still a WIP.
FuNsTeR
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 04:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Brad, those embedded images appear broken from my end...

While I'm sure the Maco SdKfz 7 will be spectacular (judging by photos of the other Maco kits), it won't solve my problem of having three kits sans usable tracks unless they offer the plastic dream tracks as an individual release - do you know how likely that is?

Also, Volkspanzer got back to me about the tracks. $5/set. I also asked about the armored cab conversion which is apparently still a WIP.

right click on the images and click on properties .. you will see the url for the images and copy and paste it into your web browser address bar to see the image

or you can click on the images at the bottom of Hennk of Holland's maco page

http://henk.fox3000.com/maco.htm

as i said these are test (prototype) shots and the release version will be more refined

will maco release just the tracks alone .... it depends on the demand for the tracks

DavidOBarr
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 06:55 AM UTC
As I mentioned, the Volkspanzer tracks worked great. They are easy to apply and they cost is reasonable. If you need any help in putting them on when you get them just let me know. I can walk you through it. They are a great addition to the Hasegawa kit.
marshaltito
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 01:44 PM UTC
Hey everyone, I got those tracks from Volkspanzer for $5 a pop and they came in today. They look great. They're super thin and look to be the right length too!

David, I'm PMing you about some help with them, but maybe you can go ahead and post it here in-case anybody else needs it in the future.
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 05:34 PM UTC
Hey I am glad you solved your problem buddy. Posting in the forum really helps after all
On to the build now and remember to post some pics of the tracks once you put them on!

P.A.
DavidOBarr
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 - 01:02 PM UTC
Here is how to apply the Volkspanzer resin replacement tracks for the Has SdKfz 7.

Materials needed

One small glass bowl. (I use a glass "two-cup" measuring cup)
One small set pliars.
Microwave oven

Steps

Put some water in the glass bowl

Place bowl in microwave for 2 mins.

Water should just barely start to boil.

Take length of resin track and hold with the pliars.

Submerse resin track in hot water.

Resin track should become soft and "Floppy"

Apply the track to the kit placing the middle of the track around the drive sprocket and bending the track with your fingers. (It will be a little hot but it will not burn your fingers.

Hold it until the resin cools. It will keep it's shape.

Repeat with the second piece. Only wrap it around the return roller. There will be some extra length. But you just need to trim off the excess and glue. Use CA Glue.

It is very easy and will only take 10 mins or so. Let me know if you have any questions or problems. HTH

Dave
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2011 - 10:03 AM UTC
I am bringing this old topic back from the dead because I need to get in touch with the owner of Volkspanzer models. I did visit his homepage in ebay but he seems inactive.

If anyone knows how I can contact him or where I can buy the Sdkfz 7 resin tracks that he makes please let me know.

Thank you P.A.
marshaltito
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2011 - 06:58 PM UTC
Dug through my e-mails and here is the address I used to get in contact with him:
Volkspanzer_Models (AT) yahoo.com

Life got hectic so I still haven't had a chance to get the tracks put on, but they look nice. Just be careful handling them as they are rather brittle - I broke two lengths while examining them when I first got them in the mail.
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2011 - 08:02 PM UTC
Thank you Tirso . I hope it's a different email than the one he uses on ebay as I have already used that.

Just for everyone's notification, my idea to use Famo's tracks did not work because the drive sprocket of the Famo has much bigger diameter than the one the Sdkfz 7 has, hence each individual link from the Famo is very long (not wide as we were arguing) to be placed around the 7's smaller sprocket. It just doens't look right.
It makes perfect sence now, but I did not think about it earlier.
Now I have to stall my project until I find the tracks .

P.A.
 _GOTOTOP