_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
How best to straighten out a resin chassis?
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,209 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 11:32 AM UTC
Hi,
I've just started to build a resin M54 cargo truck by Real Model & it is in the very early stages at the moment. I have finished cleaning & making good the chassis but I have noticed that it bows in the middle & requires straightening out.
Could somebody point me in the right direction, please?
Thanks for your help.
Joe.
jvazquez
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 857 posts
Armorama: 811 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 11:48 AM UTC
As crazy as it may sound, boiling water does the trick for me.

What I usually do is boil some water in a large pot, and using tweazers or whatever I have, dip the part into the water for just a second or two and no more, pull it out, quickly make the move or bend I have to make and hold it for about 10 seconds. By then it will already be cooled and taken its shape. But be patient, you may have to do it a few times, and less is more. and of course be careful not to bend a section or part you didn't want to.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 11:55 AM UTC
Ditto @ what James said.

I also have used the flame from a candle for thinner pieces, either way make sure you exercise caution.
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 04:27 PM UTC
Aw, that's a ridiculous suggestion. Everybody knows that microwaves are for drying poodles after giving them a bath.
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 08:21 PM UTC
Hi fellas,
Thanks. I appreciate your help. I dont own a microwave so it will have to be the boiling water method! I have used the hairdryer technique on some resin ammo bandoliers. Will this work with a chassis?
Joe.
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 674 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 11:13 PM UTC
Boiling water is much safer than the microwave and the hair drier. After correcting the shape of the chassis submerge it into cold water immediately. Someone explained that resin has some sort of shape memory and after some time it will bend back. This way you can prevent it.
bulivyf
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 2,450 posts
Armorama: 2,409 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 11:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,
I've just started to build a resin M54 cargo truck by Real Model & it is in the very early stages at the moment. I have finished cleaning & making good the chassis but I have noticed that it bows in the middle & requires straightening out.
Could somebody point me in the right direction, please?
Thanks for your help.
Joe.

Joe,
I think the best help - to send a new chassis for you.
Miloslav
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 11:47 PM UTC
Hello again,
Okay, I've used the boiling water/cold water technique & it appears to have worked.
Really appreciate your help here, fellas. Thanks a lot.
I'll be starting a WIP thread on the Real Model M52 Tractor with M127 Semi-Trailer from Real Model of Czech Republic later on this weekend over on Armor/AFV: Vietnam if anyone is interested in following the build.
Thanks again.
Joe.
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 12:00 AM UTC
Hey Miloslav,
Thanks buddy! PM inbound.
Joe.
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 09:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

have you tried?
Remember, resin is a viscous liquid regardless artificial or natural. You are heating the water in it when you microwave it.
Try it for couple of seconds, try it on some carrier you cut off, then tell me if it's ridiculous.

I'm sure you'll find this way better than using hot water or a heat gun. You're heating it from inside out, not just the surface layers.

Yes, I've tried it many times in the past, especially when working with old Jaguar resin conversion kits; and it does work. Did you stop reading after "Aw, that's a ridiculous suggestion."? I was attempting to be sarcastic. Never mind.
 _GOTOTOP