_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Silly putty masking
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 05:49 AM UTC
Not being able to find Silly Putty (for masking purposes) I bought a similar 'clone ' ?putty product at the dollar store. The packaging card demonstrated similar amusing properties as the real Silly Putty. After having masked, airbrushed, ( I used Tamiya paints),and removing the ?putty it left an oily or greasy residue on the surface, requiring repainting the model. Are there any alternative products to a Silly Putty type of masking that won't leave an oily residue? Also, an annoying characteristic of Silly Putty types is that it is so tacky that it lifts off PE parts. Of course I could always add the PE later and touch up by brush

Maeusemelker
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 06:39 AM UTC
Hi Biggles2,

Try Bostic Blu Tack, possibly known as Sticky Tack in Canada - doesn't leave oily residue. Also useful as 'tweezers' if you stick a bit on a toothpick you can use it to position very small bits (PE) without the danger of them pinging off into the carpet monster, or to bring 'glass' into position without leaving finger prints. You can also put a small blob on one side of your tweezers to prevent small bits from going AWOL.
Hope this helps
meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 786 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 07:02 AM UTC
i find silly putty at the grocery store (safeway in western canada is where it was cheapest) and it is found at toy stores like toys r us as well as two LHS had it in stock. no oily residue and works really well. blutack would work but silly putty can be painted and reused over and over again, not sure what happens to blutack when it gets used several times for masking as i use it for its intended purpose... temporarily holding something in place. would be interesting to know if it loses its tackiness. cheers, bd.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 08:13 AM UTC
Blue tac is not affected by paint but it is a double edge sword; silly putty will creep over a period time which if it gets into a PE grill can be impossible to remove. Blue tac has a higher sticking ability which could result in it pulling pieces off of the model when removed.
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 09:15 AM UTC
Try to get you hands on some Tegaderm. It's a transparent surgical dressing, manufactured by 3M. Basically, it's the same material as Parafilm.

It adheres very well to painted/plastic surfaces and doesn't leave any residue.
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 662 posts
Armorama: 457 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 10:19 AM UTC
problem with silly putty, is it has a natural oil to it. ive tried using modeling clay, but it has the same situation. if you apply it, you may want to apply with small anchor ponts instead of sealing the whole thing against the model
 _GOTOTOP