_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
what colour for this road?
stansmith
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 611 posts
Armorama: 584 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 06:45 AM UTC
someone please tell me what colour pigment i will need for this dirt road?

thanks
casualmodeler
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 07:05 AM UTC
Maybe mixture of Mig´s "Light dust" and "Europe dust"??
bobman331
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 177 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 10:09 AM UTC
i would say use mig's gulf war sand. matches up to the color on screen pretty well.
stansmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 08:15 PM UTC
thanks for the replies
stansmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2011 - 04:30 AM UTC
how do you use the pigment to make the ground that colour?
stan
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2011 - 05:38 PM UTC
Hey Stanley
I'm not sure how you are going about making your roadway, but a method I use is to bulk it out with tinted plaster of paris, which is left to dry completely. The final layer (especially on a road this flat) would be about 5mm thick and made from a wood putty or similar, something which will hold detail well and not cure as 'harshly' as the PoP. Roughen the surface so there are no smoothed areas (an old paint brush carefully stippled over the entire surface would work) Have your AFV tracks removed and ready to drape into this final layer as seen fit, and press gently and avoid too much movement. You can treat the tracks with cooking spray before prssing into the roadway, to help with easier removal.
For this expanse of scene I'd go a cheaper option of some artists pastels. The local art supplier should have a display of all the colour range. Simply a matter of selecting a couple or three that appear the same shade as the road above. Taking a #11 blade or even a fine grit sand paper, carefully scrape the pastel into a palette or similar to obtain a good collection of dust. this can be picked up with a soft wetted brush and applied to the road directly. If the roadway is fully hardened, you can be a little brutal with the brush to make certain you grind it into the nooks and crannies, a section at a time. Allow to dry to see the resultant shade, and after this process you can add some 'European dust' in the same way, maybe adding a mist of PVA glue added to water and sprayed to the road surface prior. With some experimentation you should get a good variety of shading and find something suitable to your needs...
Good luck
Brad
stansmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2011 - 11:12 PM UTC
thanks for that explanation brad and i think i will go with what you said to do and buy some pastels from hobbycraft.
stan
 _GOTOTOP