_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
What Varnishes?
squisher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 - 12:23 PM UTC
What varnishes do people use for AFV's? Gloss after basic painting to allow application of decals and to protect paint from weathering, washes etc. I've read about Klear quite frequently. And then which matt or satin varnish to finish and protect when all weathering is done? Are you restricted depending on whether you're using acrylics or enamels? I know there are probably many correct answers but I need somewhere to start from in order to find out what works for me. I've just tried Klear (diluted 50:50 with alcohol) over Tamiya acrylics on my Tamiya Universal Carrier, prior to decals and weathering. I hope to get some pics on line when I work out how to do it. This is my first ever attempt at trying to mke a kit look realistic and I'm using it to experiment before I start on my (more expensive) kits of heavier German armour.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 - 04:37 PM UTC
Paul,
You're on the right page with everything so far. Everybody uses Klear (Future), then decals, then another coat of Klear to seal the decals. Klear is an acrylic and most guys weather with oils so paint and clear all are acrylic. Excellent flat clear acrylic is made by Vallejo, MM Acryl, and Pollyscale. I recommend the Vallejo. Also see the "Finishing and Weathering Sequence" at the top of the painting forum for a step by step with lots of tips and answers.
squisher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 12:19 PM UTC
Thanks for that Matt. I'll be putting some photos up to show progress as things proceed. I've just started using Armorama and am just beginning to realise how much info there is here. I'll keep you posted. Now I've got to find some Vallejo matt ....
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 06:20 AM UTC
For a matte varnish I prefer to use Floquil Flat and, ocassionally the Flat mixed with small amounts of "Dust" and "Mud" to act as a glaze or filter over the finish. I like the laquer based Floquil paints for this because thay dry really fast and quite hard, providing a good base for further weathering. Given that I don't use laquer based paints for weathering, it also allows me to use various paints withuot worrying abuot the underlying colours coats & decals.

Paul
 _GOTOTOP