_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Question about Mig's T-62M1
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 05:11 PM UTC
Okay I just order this kit from Mig today and for the life of me can not find any photos of active russian 62 in afgan equiped with the anti-radition layer on the turret. I have searched all over the net, my many different files on my computer and numerus books I have, but still not photos showing this being equiped. It must have been used during the war, if not, then way are the pictures of this sitting in the grave yards. My question is, how late into the war was this employed on the 62's and was it in great quanities?

Another question is, were these ever equiped with NSVT's instead of the DSHK? I have seen one phot of what appears to be a NSVT but the phot is not clear enough to make out for sure.

I'm still working out which to build from this kit, either with bar armor, rubberized side skirts, or spare tracks of the back of the turret as I have plenty of photos and reference to showing many different configs during the war.
zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 11:33 PM UTC
Some info here. Perhaps you've already seen it.
I can't remember ever seeing one in Russian service thought.

Perhaps Russia gave the Afghan army a few after the withdrawal of their forces?

Cheers,
/E
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 933 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 12:16 AM UTC
Chris, check out Mig Jimenez's T-62,

http://www.panzernet.com/galeria/modernos/t62bdd_mig/t62bdd_mig.htm

It features NVST. This is quite common I think because I've seen numerous modellers add this feature. I had a link for a russian modeller who scratch built his T-62 with the radiation panels and NVST. Can't find it now.
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 06:02 AM UTC
Thanks Erik and Jon

Still debating on how to build this kit as there seems to be no supporting photos of this even being used in afghan. There are a few photos of the gladding on some of the tanks in the grave yard in kubal, but all of these have afghan markings on them and not Russian as seen in this picture. You can bearing make out the funny afghan triangle on the brow armor.

Most of the supporting documents say that the anti-radiation layers were removed along with the guided missile system before sending replacements for the Russian army. More than likely what is sitting there in country now is crap given to them after the war had ended. But still maybe a few of them slipped through the supply line and ended up in the hands of the Russian army, it’s hard to tell.

So what to do, either build the kit as is and make it Russian and run the risk of it not being correct or removed need parts to make a slick BDD version.
TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 09:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Still debating on how to build this kit as there seems to be no supporting photos of this even being used in afghan.

Just have to look harder. Here is one used by the Soviets there.

One manned by a Taliban crew.

Quoted Text

There are a few photos of the gladding on some of the tanks in the grave yard in kubal, but all of these have afghan markings on them and not Russian as seen in this picture. You can bearing make out the funny afghan triangle on the brow armor.

Most of the supporting documents say that the anti-radiation layers were removed along with the guided missile system before sending replacements for the Russian army. More than likely what is sitting there in country now is crap given to them after the war had ended. But still maybe a few of them slipped through the supply line and ended up in the hands of the Russian army, it’s hard to tell.

They did not ship them T62s after they left. What you see them using after the Soviet pull out and what ended up in the bone yards they left behind. So if it is in Afgahanistan, it was once used by the Soviets.

Quoted Text

Chris, check out Mig Jimenez's T-62,

http://www.panzernet.com/galeria/modernos/t62bdd_mig/t62bdd_mig.htm

It features NVST. This is quite common I think because I've seen numerous modellers add this feature.

No that is a Dshk on Mig's T62.

It is not that common, they did not start mountimg the NSVT till recently.

kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 03:41 PM UTC
Thanks Tony, the first picture answers my question on the use of anti-radtion gladding in afghanastan. It's hard to see, but can be made out around the TC hatch. I don't usually rely on photos of tanks crewed by toiletband just because the afghan army used some of the tanks as the russians that got pressed into service with the nothern alliance and other tribal bands and amongst the taliban. As I wanted to build a russian tank during the war and not crewed by the afghans, I want to make sure that the russian at least had the gladding in place.

As far as Mig's tank goes I already knew that was a dshk and not a nsv.

I mostly build 1990 and up russian armor since documents and photos are much easier to get. The afghan wars I not that knowledgeable on, but since masterclub just released a new set of tank crews and infantry, I wanted to do something from this time frame
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2011 - 01:07 AM UTC
Sorry guys my mistake I didn't look at the photo enough, only quickly. You are right!

However I did see a Russian blog where a guy fitted an nsvt, it was modeller on a 40th army tank.
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2011 - 04:02 AM UTC
Hey Jon, I think this is the tank you are talking about

It's over on DishModel.ru site. Also I did manage to find an article talking about some of the dshk's being replaced with NSVT's towards the end of the war, but this was very very rare. This would make sense as the ground version NSV were in large numbers by this time frame. The only thing is the gun cradle for the NSVT is different from the DSHK and would not be easy to swap out.
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2011 - 07:20 AM UTC
Yeah that's the one! He converted a tamiya kit with the modelpoint set right?

I know that with the blast model NVST you get a mount and parts to fit it to a cupola. It's a great item actually I used one on my T-80 and I highly recommend it.
orpant
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 139 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 06:56 PM UTC
Can I use this Turet, in order to depict a Soviet T-62M, stationed in East Germany??
Where there any T-62M's in the DDR?
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 04:08 AM UTC
Orestis,

Yes this turret could be used to depict a soviet tank stationed in East Germany. More likely would have been seen in the Fulda Gap to since this was suppose to be main break through point into West Germany. Yes Mig has the kit labeled as a Taliban Tank, but it could still be used as a Soviet tank too and even up to the 2008 Russian -Georgian conflict minus the anti-radiation layer.

The East German T-62 went though a series of upgrade programs. The first one was to add the new laser range finder to the main gun. The second only added the brow armor to the turret and the hull armor. As far as I know they never received the new gunner’s sight that allowed them to fire the guided missile nor the anti- radiation layer.
orpant
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 06:47 AM UTC

Thanks a lot Christopher...
Stay tuned, I'll be starting soon, mine. A Soviet Tank placed it in the DDR...
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 02:16 PM UTC
Just to be clear guys, there may have been Soviet T-62M and M1 stationed in East Germany but as far as I know the T-62 was never supplied to the other warpac members .

Sean
TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 10:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The East German T-62 went though a series of upgrade programs

The NVA had no T62s. Bulgaria was the only other user besides the U.S.S.R. in Europe.
orpant
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 12:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The East German T-62 went though a series of upgrade programs

The NVA had no T62s. Bulgaria was the only other user besides the U.S.S.R. in Europe.

Yes indeed, both Poland and Czechoslovakia evaluated the vehicle but refused it because of the high price and low update value compared to the T-55.

On the other hand countries of the Middle East and Africa bought hundreds of them (and are viewed to the footage from the sad events in Libya and in Egypt)

Anyway, I'm going to build a Soviet Tank, belonging to the 8th Guards Army, stationed to the DDR...
 _GOTOTOP