_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
.50 cal on the cromwell
skytrainboy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 90 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 02:00 AM UTC
i have the 50 cal gunner from the tamiya gun and mortar set and i was goin to mount him on the cromwell turret
any opinions or comments?
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 02:17 AM UTC
Unless you have a photo of a Cromwell with a .50 cal., I wouldn't do it. Very few Commonwealth tanks carrried anti-aircraft weapons.

Also, the .50 cal. out of that old Tamiya gun and mortar set is pretty poor. I personally wouldn't use it on anything.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 02:19 AM UTC
In a word, no. I may be wrong but I have never heard of a .50 cal. mounted on a Cromwell, like never... The scale of the .50 Cal on a Cromwell turrey would look kinda strange as well.Unless this was some local modification the whole thing would be totally incorrect....Jim
zer0_co0l
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,432 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 04:36 AM UTC
and unless its an american cromwell and if they ever carried a .50 you should put an english soldier on it not us
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 09:43 AM UTC
i have seen pics of 50cals on a cromwell, but it was a post war greek tank if i remember correctly. it may have been a centaur also.
the mount was quite crude so it may have been a field modification.
it was some time ago that i found the pictures whilst searching for reference pics when i was building my cromwell, so try google, its what i use, so you might have some luck with that.
some cromwell commanders had a bren gun next to thier hatches, this was definately something commonwealth crews did-my great uncle was the gunner in a firefly during market garden and he says his commander and many others did this. so this may be a more realistic option

cheers

joe

DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 10:18 AM UTC
Bren on an AA mount yes, 50-cal is a big nono. Just would never have been allowed.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 11:24 AM UTC
Howdy SkyTrainBoy,

To begin with, let me wish you a big hearty "Welcome!" to the site. Please hang around awhile and pay attention to the 'bunchO'bloke's' we have around here......they'll never lead ya wrong.

Now, as to the .50 cal on a Cromwell.............................................................................................afraid not.
As MUCH of an armour variant lover as I am, I cannot come up with a version I'm aware of that had an American .50 mounted on the turret. Now, that doesn't mean you can't mount the bloody thing...
it just means you've shifted into the 'what-if' catagory, that's all

Regards,

Tread.

BTW.....I would dearly love to see a pic of one.
 _GOTOTOP