_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
vz. 77 DANA in operational use?
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 01:42 AM UTC
Hi Gang,

after I saw HB vz. 77 DANA in my LHS, I decided to buy and build one. I think they are operationaly deployent with the Polish contingent of ISAF. Has anyone pics of the vehicle useful for camo and markings?

Frenchy???

TIA
Hans-Hermann
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 01:50 AM UTC
Ask and you shall receive Hans-Hermann

I like this one ( Self-Propelled Artillery Squadron, 10th Armored Cavalry Brigade)

HTH

Frenchy

HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 02:16 AM UTC
Hi Frenchy,

Thank you, Merci, Danke schön!! Praised be the Lord of eternal pictures
I wonder how big is your harddrive? Terrabytes?

Hans-Hermann
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 03:37 AM UTC
You're welcome Hans-Hermann ! To say the truth, most of the pics I post are not on my HD. I just try to make good use of Google For instance, here's the link for some of the Dana pics above : http://www.isaf.wp.mil.pl/pl/4_818.html and here are some links to a few more http://www.isaf.wp.mil.pl/pl/4_561.html, http://www.isaf.wp.mil.pl/pl/4_912.html & http://www.isaf.wp.mil.pl/pl/4_613.html
....Anyway last time I've checked, my OIF photo file alone weighted more than 6 GB...

Frenchy
heliman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 604 posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 08:30 AM UTC
Thanks for the pics Frenchy!! I really like the one w/ the crew standing next to the shells!!!

Does anyone know what the long "rod" right above the main gun is for? I'm thinking it's sensory equipment, but unsure.

Jeff
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 1,289 posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 09:14 AM UTC
Wow, great images!
I like the last one.
Hmm, I also thought about the long rod next to the gun-barrel since I thought about HobbyBoss´ kit, but had no idea.
Perhaps this is for making measurements of elevation of the barrel?

Yes, Frenchy also had on my questions good answers and I thought about his space on HDD or knowledge.

greetings...
Soeren
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 10:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anyone know what the long "rod" right above the main gun is for? I'm thinking it's sensory equipment, but unsure.

I've read it's a roof mounted crane used to assist with ammunition loading....but I can't vouch for the truth of that

Frenchy

Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
KitMaker: 2,511 posts
Armorama: 913 posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 11:36 AM UTC
wow...excellent photos Frenchy.... missed the last shipment of dana... they're gone the minutes they arrived in LHS..

what's up with Lady Gaga??
heliman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 12:24 PM UTC
frechy..ya might be on to something!!! The rod does resemble a crane in a few pics !!!

I wish I could get the Dana..I preordered one, and spoke to them today, guess it wont be in the states till mid-February!!! yikes!!!

I really want to paint mine in a winter scheme I found......
Maxymilian
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 379 posts
Armorama: 299 posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 08:29 PM UTC
I just read that there is a big mistake with this kit, HB used frame from T813 and it should be T815 which is a kind of big pipe with swing axles for each wheel.
I wonder if that is true because if it is that will be second big f..k up in couple of weeks time.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 11:44 PM UTC
Here are some Georgian DANA's:

These two were apparently abandoned during the 2008 war.

Here you can clearly see the red paint inside the muzzle break. I believe this color is only seen on Georgian DANA's, it doesn't appear to be there on the Czech or Polish ones I've seen.

On these ones the red paint doesn't appear to be there. Then again, this looks like a shot from a deployment. The red paint might be a 'parade ground' thing.

Again, the color on the inside of the muzzle is clearly visible.

(The above picture can be viewed three times larger here:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0f/Georgia_152mm_SpGH_DANA,_2008.JPG)

Adam, as for that supposed 'f**k up' in detail: I have the kit myself (I've sent an 'In Box' Review to James Bella so hopefully that will be posted up soon) and I'm waiting on a CD with a lot of close-up and walk-around pictures, if you could tell me whereabouts you think they messed up the detail I will check it out as soon as I get the CD and see if I can nail it down.
Or I suppose if somebody has managed to get their hands on the kit and the Tankograd book they could let us know?
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 12:10 AM UTC
Hi Karl

Here's the T-815 truck chassis :

Maybe you can compare it to HB kit parts ?

Frenchy
kubisz
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Slaskie, Poland
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 977 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 12:11 AM UTC
Everything is ok with the frame. Adam - take a look at stroju's build log on modelwork.pl:
http://modelwork.pl/viewtopic.php?t=25027
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 04:33 AM UTC
Frenchy- thanks for those pics.

Kuba- thanks for that link.

I checked the sprues in the box and had a good look at how the instructions show them going together. Stroju over on the Polish forum has some good photos of the built up frame and it looks accurate to me. I doubt there is a problem there and if there is it will be pretty much impossible to spot once the kit is built.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 08:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

what's up with Lady Gaga??

I guess thats what she ment when was singing about a "disco stick"
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 09:36 AM UTC
@ Jeff Bulmer

after careful examination of the pics, I think for 99% the long "rod" over the barrel is the hydralic rammer for projectiles and cartridges. Makes completely sense to me since the breech opens vertically downward. I get tomorrow (hopefully) the Tankograd book on DANA, which might clear out this issue. After start building, it`s a very easy and clever constructed kit, really a fun to build. Obviously HB improved vastly over their Lepard 2 kits.

Hans-Hermann
heliman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 09:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Jeff Bulmer

after careful examination of the pics, I think for 99% the long "rod" over the barrel is the hydralic rammer for projectiles and cartridges. Makes completely sense to me since the breech opens vertically downward. I get tomorrow (hopefully) the Tankograd book on DANA, which might clear out this issue. After start building, it`s a very easy and clever constructed kit, really a fun to build. Obviously HB improved vastly over their Lepard 2 kits.

Hans-Hermann

Thanks Hans, just checking the pics too! There is a great pic of the "claw" end of it....I'm following your build closely.

Can anyone confirm the kit storage boxes are incorrect? I scanned thru the build photo's, but can't spot the major concern.
TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 538 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 06:34 PM UTC
That last picture of the Polish DANA firing, that was a fire mission that was being fired for my platoon when we were in contact under mortar and rocket fire in Ghazni last year. We were told it was the first inter NATO fire mission in 8 years outside of training. Lessons learned that day, one, arrogant LT's should NEVER get in the way of an FO doing his job because they might transpose numbers and send 152mm HE into the wrong grid square. Two, despite the whole NATO thing, the Poles call for fire very different than we do, and finally, the Taliban will laugh at you when you fire a Javelin that goes rogue, and then artillery that doesn't work at them. christ that day sucked... I have video of the rounds impacting now that I think about it.

Steve
MajorPete
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 07:06 PM UTC
Love that Lady Gaga one!!!
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 - 03:07 AM UTC
For all that are interested, the kit offers 4 decals options,.
# 1 a Czech vehicle in overall OD
# 2 a Polish vehicle in three-tone camo
# 3 a Czech vehicle in new three-tone camo
# 4 a Georgian vehicle, probably from Caucasus War
Hopefully, some AM company might come out with LADAY GAGA and FIONA decals.

Hans-Hermann
 _GOTOTOP