Hosted by Darren Baker
Help with water effects
zhengwei4226
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 08:19 AM UTC
Hey everyone, I would like to make dioramas and vignettes containing bodies of water, however I can't get any scenic or resin water. Does anyone have ideas on how to make realistic "water?" any ideas are appreciated.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 09:04 AM UTC
Hey Zheng. there are a few methods for this. My prefered method if you can find is a product called envirotex; a 2 part resin/hardener. You must be careful about thickness as it does heat up some. I usually pour about 3/8 inch thick with a dark tint and let cure 24 hours. Next layer, same thickness but less tint. As you build up your layers you will notice you can see down through your water, just like real water.Tintable with very little shrinkage.Pricy but real good stuff. Another is celuclay or plaster. Pour and let it set up. Paint and use future floor polish or a gloss coat. Then using acrylic medium, work in your waves and eddies. Dries totaly clear. Last method I have tried is plastruct sheets that are textured surface and different blues per sheet. Just cut out for boats, logs or wath ever you have flaoting in it and use the acrylic medium gel around it to secure the objects and make bow and stern wave motion. Check out the forums here and on model shipwrights and you'll see some fantastic water made these ways. I don't recomend scenic water, the pellits you melt as it discolors and burns very quick and sets up real fast; plus shrinkage is a major problem. Hope this is of some help for you. bob d.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 09:10 AM UTC
I forgot to metion that the acrylic medium is a water base gel you use for giving acrylic paint texture. Available at you local artist store usually. I just P/U a tube from franks arts and craft store for $6.00 U.S. 200 ml of clear stuff which will do a lot of water waves. It's by Liquitex. Good luck.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 09:52 AM UTC
Check the features are there are lots of water articles in the diorama area
Sparrow, Gotcha covered, and more.
I'd add links but I'm on an iPad and there are no tabs and it's hard to add them in.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 01:00 AM UTC
Hey there
Speaking from an Aussie angle, try Bunnings for their casting resin. It comes in a small can with a separate small bottle of catalyst. I think the brand is Diggers.
Pours and sets crystal clear; I have used it often and it tints well with a few drops of acrylic paint of choice prior to mixing the resin and catalyst. You'll be looking at $20-30 but you'll get a fair bit of use out of it...

Brad
zhengwei4226
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 08:03 PM UTC
Sorry guys, I haven't been online in awhile!

Bob- cheers, I will try getting the products you mentioned. But about the Envirotex you mentioned, is it sold in hardware stores? If not, where is it sold?

Scott- ok, I will check the other water articles.

Brad- thanks. I will try getting that too. The way you used it in the photo looks great!
Oh, by the way, I'm sorry to hear about the flooding in Victoria (you are living there I assume). I hope you are ok.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 01:35 AM UTC
Zheng, try your local arts and craft store. Or e-mail them at (www.eti-usa.com.) EnviroTex Lite pour on high gloss finish.
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 757 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 04:48 AM UTC
yo
her are a few sites to check out, its a list and you have to read the ones with water special effects, should be like nimix and scaleerama good site for dio info and its pretty interesting as well.

http://www.milminwh.com/groundwork_&_diorama_aids.htm

reb
zhengwei4226
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 11:15 PM UTC
Bob- thanks! I will look for it there.

Rebelsoldier- Thank you for the link. It sure will come in handy when I'm looking for diorama materials!
 _GOTOTOP