Softskins group discussions.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M-49 A1 multi fuel tanker Lil Squirt
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 07:26 AM UTC
This a a AFV Club M-49 A2 model that I have backdated to a M-49A1 multi fuel Tanker. I drove a trucks like this in Vietnam. It was called Lil Squirt. I hauled Potable Water to different units stationed at or near Cu Chi Vietnam, for the 25th Inf Div and 36/86 Sig Bn. You can go to my favorite site and click on M-49 tanker
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 07:42 AM UTC
I have posted photos on the Armorama MSN site http://groups.msn.com/armorama/lilsquirt.msnw?albunlist=2
Selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 08:45 AM UTC
Wow Animal :-) That is awesome.
I love the weathering, and the subtle rust... Looks so realistic, and the tires are superb
How did you do tje dirt on the tires, if I may ask?

Great work
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 09:18 AM UTC
I use a flat clear with dark earth and desert armor sand mixed. After I mix the colors I let the paint sit. The color will settle to the bottom. I shake it a little bit and paint in on the tires, making sure to cover the lower portion of the treads. after the mud dries I brush on clear flat to loosen some of the mud color from the high points of the tire. after it dries I apply plain old soft dirt from the Rust-All system. I cover the entire model with the dust and lightly blow some of the dirt away leaving some in the corners and crevis' . For the rusted areas I use rust-all with a little black wash added. I give the areas that I want some rust several coats of this solution. When this dries, I use flat clear to soften the rust color. The exhaust is painted with MM rust color and followed up with the rust-all solutionand baking soda to give the flaky look of heavy rust. This is also covered with a flat clear coat.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 01:33 PM UTC
I just love those trucks of yours Dave! I was going to ask about your weathering techniques, but I see that you've explained it above.... thanks. Your models are very, very convincing!!

animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 01:51 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind words Kevin. By the way love your web site. It is one of the best and easiest sites that I have visited. The tech info is outstanding.
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 02:01 PM UTC
I'm not sure of the tankers today, but the truck that I have depicted here is fuel tanker. The tank and all the pump system was flushed and steam cleaned at the decon station at Cu Chi. Ther were several of these trucks converted to carry water along with the external tanks place in the back of 2 1/2 ton and 5 ton cargo trucks to haul water. Cu Chi was a large base camp of the 25th Inf Div and all the support units. It was a 24 hour job just keeping everybody supplied with H2O. Not counting the fire bases and Arty site around Cu Chi.
Mark
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 01:17 AM UTC
Hi animal!
I love your M49; great work!
I was wondering (since you want trucks): have you ever considere doing a M51 dump-gun-truck? It's in the guntrucks book by Squadron publications. I know Real Models does an M51 dumptruck conversion (for Italeri I guess) would be a nice model not?

kind regards
Mark
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 02:54 AM UTC
Mark.. It is on the list to build...
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 03:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mark.. It is on the list to build...

Heh heh - I hope we're not modeling the same one!

Animal - great tanker! I like them, but don't know too much about them. What's next on your workbench...

Gunnie
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 03:15 AM UTC
I will be building one of the dump trucks from James' book. I think you know wich one. My next project is the 28 foot S & P trailer with cargo with the M-54 tractor. I am going to attempt a dolly rig also.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 03:32 AM UTC
Great - I'm doing a different M51 Dump when I finish up with these two gun trucks. I started up again on "Easy Rider" while I was waiting for paint to set on "Camel". I think that I'll stay with that one until I done with it...

Gunnie
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 03:41 AM UTC
I am looking forward to seeing the camel done. I checked out your site last night . How do you like working with the Brass tubing. Seems it would be closer to scale in thickness than plastic. Going to have to try some.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 04:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am looking forward to seeing the camel done. I checked out your site last night . How do you like working with the Brass tubing. Seems it would be closer to scale in thickness than plastic. Going to have to try some.

I use it every chance I get - I like it. I bought a bag full of sample sizes and thicknesses 10 years ago and still haven't run out. It was worth more than the $5 bucks I paid for it. It is close to scale thickness and naturally considerably stronger than plastic tubing.

I got bogged down (I call it) this week in putting markings on "Camel". Lately I've only had literally a handful of minutes - so - I put a decal here one day, a decal there the next day, and so on...

No matter though - I got the fighting compartment markings on without problems - the most important of all on the gun truck. The rest are easy...

Gunnie
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 06:21 AM UTC
I am going to pick some of the tubing this week at the local Hobby Town USA shop. I really like the looks.
 _GOTOTOP